Researchers at Disney Research and ETH Zurich have demonstrated that consumer-grade light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs can, with some modifications, do double duty — both illuminating a room and providing a communications link for devices in that room.
This visible light communication (VLC) system would be suitable for connecting the many devices, such as appliances, wearable devices, sensors, toys and utilities, that could comprise the Internet of Things, or IoT, said Stefan Schmid, a Ph.D. student at Disney Research and ETH Zurich.
LEDs can both produce light and serve as light sensors. By having individual LEDs alternate between sending modulated light signals and serving as receivers of signals, it is possible to create a network of bulbs that can send messages to each other and connect to devices, while having no discernible effect on room lighting.
Schmid and his colleagues designed and implemented such a VLC system, demonstrating that it is a viable way to interconnect devices within a room. They will share details of the system, called EnLighting, on June 26, 2016 at the IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (SECON) 2016 in London.
“Interconnecting appliances, sensors and a wide variety of devices into the Internet of Things has many potential benefits, but using radio links to do so threatens to make the radio spectrum an even scarcer resource,” said Markus Gross, vice president at Disney Research. “Visible light communication networks conserve the radio spectrum, while also making it difficult to eavesdrop for anyone out of line of sight of the network.”
LEDs are an attractive option for interconnecting devices because they are low-cost, non-intrusive and ubiquitous. No special wiring is needed and the bulbs can be positioned anywhere.
The Latest on: Visible light communication system
via Google News
The Latest on: Visible light communication system
- Square Kilometre Array project frets about satellite interferenceon October 7, 2020 at 1:00 pm
The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) will link radio antennas across South Africa and Australia to study the far-reaches of the cosmos. But its governing organisation says the telescope's science would be ...
- These people were charged with crimes yesterday in central Pennsylvaniaon October 7, 2020 at 10:30 am
The cases listed here will not be archived by PennLive, but can be accessed through the Pennsylvania Unified Judicial System. If this list isn’t visible ... turn / green light; Fail to keep ...
- Hackaday Prize Entry: Cheap Visible Light Communicationon September 26, 2020 at 4:59 pm
[Jovan] is very excited about the possibilities presented by Visible Light Communication ... He wants to build a system that could be used for a PAN (Personal Area Network).
- Global Visible Light Communication Market 2020 Research Report with COVID-19 Impact, by Future Trend, Growth rate and Industry Analysis to 2025on September 21, 2020 at 9:43 pm
The current status of the global Visible Light Communication ... Koninklijke Philips, LVX System, GE, Outstanding Technology, LightPointe Communications, Avago Technologies, Oledcomm, Nakagawa ...
- News tagged with wireless communicationson September 21, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Visible light communications (VLC), and optical ... Technology have jointly developed a millimeter-wave wireless communication system that enables long distance communication, and succeeded ...
- LESA research center visible light communication (VLC) breakthrough could alleviate bandwidth shortageon September 15, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Visible Light Communication (VLC) is emerging as a potential broadband transmission technology that will offer virtually unlimited spectrum for high quality wireless services. The Center for Lighting ...
- We all know WiFi, but will Li-Fi take us into the future?on September 9, 2020 at 12:06 am
In short, yes. Li-Fi uses a light communication system, which makes it capable of transmitting data at high speeds over visible light, ultraviolet, and infrared spectrums. Given that light travels ...
- Parking Management Market Worth $4.03 billion by 2027| Global Forecast 2020 to 2027on September 8, 2020 at 5:22 am
RFID parking management system, visible light communication, and license plate recognition. The reservation based parking management system segment is estimated to command the largest share of the ...
- An SDR Implementation of a Visible Light Communication System Based on the IEEE 802.15.7 Standardon October 11, 2017 at 3:59 am
The aim of this paper is to present an implementation of a functional IEEE 802.15.7 real-time testbed based on the Software Defined Radio (SDR) concept. This implementation is built with low cost ...
- Design of a Visible-Light-Communication Enhanced WiFi Systemon September 29, 2017 at 10:41 pm
Visible Light Communication (VLC ... the authors propose and implement two heterogeneous systems with Internet access. 10 commands Linux admins need to know 200+ essential apps you need to ...
via Bing News