Researchers at Disney Research and ETH Zurich have demonstrated that consumer-grade light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs can, with some modifications, do double duty — both illuminating a room and providing a communications link for devices in that room.
This visible light communication (VLC) system would be suitable for connecting the many devices, such as appliances, wearable devices, sensors, toys and utilities, that could comprise the Internet of Things, or IoT, said Stefan Schmid, a Ph.D. student at Disney Research and ETH Zurich.
LEDs can both produce light and serve as light sensors. By having individual LEDs alternate between sending modulated light signals and serving as receivers of signals, it is possible to create a network of bulbs that can send messages to each other and connect to devices, while having no discernible effect on room lighting.
Schmid and his colleagues designed and implemented such a VLC system, demonstrating that it is a viable way to interconnect devices within a room. They will share details of the system, called EnLighting, on June 26, 2016 at the IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication and Networking (SECON) 2016 in London.
“Interconnecting appliances, sensors and a wide variety of devices into the Internet of Things has many potential benefits, but using radio links to do so threatens to make the radio spectrum an even scarcer resource,” said Markus Gross, vice president at Disney Research. “Visible light communication networks conserve the radio spectrum, while also making it difficult to eavesdrop for anyone out of line of sight of the network.”
LEDs are an attractive option for interconnecting devices because they are low-cost, non-intrusive and ubiquitous. No special wiring is needed and the bulbs can be positioned anywhere.
The Latest on: Visible light communication system
via Google News
The Latest on: Visible light communication system
- Visible Light Communication market scrutinized in new research on February 17, 2019 at 10:59 pm
Top Players of Global Visible Light Communication Market:- FSONA Networks, GE, LightPointe Communications, LVX System, Nakagawa Laboratories, Oledcomm, Outstanding Technology, Koninklijke Philips, Pur... […]
- Navigant Research Report Shows Global Revenue for Lighting-Based Indoor Positioning Systems Is Expected to Exceed $3 Billion in 2027 on February 6, 2019 at 2:42 am
According to the report, visible light communication (VLC) and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) are currently the two most common technologies available for a lighting-based IPS. The report, Lighting-Based ... […]
- Visible Light Communication on January 27, 2019 at 4:00 pm
[Jovan] is very excited about the possibilities presented by Visible Light Communication, or VLC ... He wants to build a system that could be used for a PAN (Personal Area Network). To do this he’ll h... […]
- Major Factors Driving the Growth of Free Space Optics & Visible Light Communication Market by 2023 on January 20, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The visible light communication (VLC ... Photodetector will enable the Li-Fi to function as a bidirectional communication system (like a conventional broadband and Wi-Fi). Photodetector is the main co... […]
- $4 Billion Free Space Optics (FSO) and Visible Light Communication (VLC)/Light Fidelity (Li-Fi) Market - Global Forecast to 2023 on September 27, 2018 at 9:37 am
The visible light communication (VLC ... Photodetector will enable Li-Fi to function as a bidirectional communication system (like a conventional broadband and Wi-Fi). The bidirectional VLC, which was ... […]
- Chipset released for high-speed visible light communication on August 30, 2018 at 6:01 am
The chipset was collaboratively developed by the visible light communication team of National Digital Switching System Engineering and Technological R&D Center (NDSC), Dongguan Xinda Institute of Inte... […]
- Quantum Visible Light Communication and the Non-Physical Realm on October 29, 2017 at 6:04 pm
And then there was Light. Light is information. Data can be encoded in the Visible Light Spectrum and then sent via ... have developed technology to upload their consciousness into a system that beams ... […]
- Researchers Manipulate Liquids Using Only Visible Light on April 25, 2017 at 9:28 am
Such systems could be designed to make ... Gibum Kwon et al. 2017. Visible light guided manipulation of liquid wettability on photoresponsive surfaces. Nature Communications 8, article number: 14968; ... […]
- Real world visible light communication applications on October 4, 2016 at 12:12 pm
With the Philips visible light communication system, Carrefour can provide new services to its customers, such as helping shoppers navigate and find promotions across the 8,400 square foot store floor ... […]
- New visible-light communications system does away with radio signals on December 18, 2008 at 4:00 pm
Japan-based Tamura has developed a communications system that’s based on light and doesn’t require radio signals that are transmitted by mobile phones and similar devices. The core of the so-called op... […]
via Bing News