Scientists just took a big, “very positive” step towards developing what could be the first ‘universal cancer vaccine’.
The results from early trials in humans, along with research in mice, have just been published, and they suggest that the new technique could be used to activate patients’ immune systems against any type of tumour, no matter where it is in the body.
Unlike the vaccines we’re familiar with, this potential vaccine would be given to patients who already have cancer, rather than those at risk of getting it. It basically works by shooting tiny ‘darts’ containing pieces of RNA extracted from the patient’s cancer cells at the body’s own immune system, convincing them to launch an all-out attack on any tumours they come across.
By just changing the RNA inside those darts, the team can, in theory, mobilise the immune system against any kind of cancer. “[Such] vaccines are fast and inexpensive to produce, and virtually any tumour antigen can be encoded by RNA,” the team, led by researchers at Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz in Germany, reports in Nature.
“Thus, the nanoparticulate RNA immunotherapy approach introduced here may be regarded as a universally applicable novel vaccine class for cancer immunotherapy.”
But until now, researchers have mostly done this by genetically engineering special, cancer-targeting immune cells in the lab, and then injecting them back into a patient – which is a time-consuming and expensive process.
The difference with this technique is that the vaccine is made in the lab, and it introduces the cancer DNA into the immune cells within the body, which is a lot less invasive. It also means that the vaccine can be tweaked to hunt a range of cancer types.
The Latest on: Universal cancer vaccine
via Google News
The Latest on: Universal cancer vaccine
- Vaccines don’t work against some viruses. CRISPR might one day fix that on February 19, 2019 at 1:49 am
That gave immunologist Justin Taylor of Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center an ... are rejected by the immune system). Vaccines, by comparison, are cheap. Taylor’s team has ideas about how to make ... […]
- Universal one-shot flu vaccine could soon eradicate the disease forever on February 18, 2019 at 3:22 pm
A universal flu vaccine-- one which would be effective against all strains ... killing more people than heart disease or cancer. Part of the reason it is so difficult to eradicate is because the virus ... […]
- Vaccinating boys with HPV vaccine is critical step forward on February 13, 2019 at 10:13 pm
While best known as a critical strategy in the fight against cervical cancer, HPV vaccines are now seen as a potent tool in the fight against several cancers. This is why, we must spare no effort to e... […]
- A Women-Led Team of Mexican Scientists May Have Brought Us One Step Closer to a Cure for HPV on February 11, 2019 at 1:24 pm
The Mexican newspaper El Universal reports that Ramón Gallegos eradicated ... particularly cervical cancer, and warts. The HPV vaccine is a somewhat recent development, but has proven to be highly eff... […]
- Nigeria's call to action - Time to Eliminate Cervical Cancer in Nigeria on February 10, 2019 at 10:15 am
At present, HPV Vaccines are only available in private health ... collectively resolve to end the injustice of preventable suffering from cancer as part of our commitment for Universal Health Coverage ... […]
- Hyderabad: HPV shot can reduce cervical cancer risk on February 7, 2019 at 11:30 am
Docs want HPV in universal immunisation programme ... In Australia and the United States, young boys are also given the vaccine so that they are protected from cancer of the larynx. Dr Geeta Narsagee, ... […]
- Viewpoint: Why we must be wary of grandiose claims about a low-cost, universal cancer cure on February 6, 2019 at 7:42 am
Image credit: Keren Freeman/Flash90 There have been breakthroughs in cancer therapy, but they have largely focused on individualized therapies, rather than an “off the shelf,” universal cure. […]
- Cancer Biotherapy Market Strategic Analysis 2019 to 2024 on February 6, 2019 at 6:29 am
The titled segments and sub-section of the market are illuminated below: The Study Explore the Product Types of Cancer Biotherapy Market: , Monoclonal Antibodies, Vaccines, Erythropoietin, Colony Stim... […]
- Experts make renewed pitch for introduction of HPV vaccine in UIP as new study sheds light on efficacy, herd protection on February 5, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Numerous studies have shown that UIP is highly effective. For instance, in Australia, cervical cancer is on the brink of eradication thanks to universal vaccine usage,” Dr Meenakshi Ahuja, a well-know... […]
- An Affirmable Answer to Prevent Cervical Cancer on February 4, 2019 at 12:00 am
Cancer is a serious illness ... Immunization finally gave a thumbs-up to the introduction of the HPV vaccine in India’s Universal Immunization Programme in 2018. Punjab has introduced the ... […]
via Bing News