A satellite whose components are not connected through electric cables but miniaturised radio modules: This innovation has earned two computer scientists from the University of Würzburg the first place in the INNOspace Masters competition.
Professor Sergio Montenegro and his fellow researcher Tobias Mikschl have reason to be happy: A few days ago, the two computer scientists from the Julius-Maximilians-Universität (JMU) Würzburg in Bavaria, Germany, took to the podium in Berlin – as the overall winners of the INNOspace Masters competition and as winners of the category “DLR Space Administration Challenge”. DLR is the national aeronautics and space research centre of the Federal Republic of Germany.
What the price was awarded for: Montenegro and Mikschl developed Skith, a technology for the world’s first wireless satellite. Previously, all single components of a satellite had to be interconnected using electric cables. Skith has changed that by using miniaturised high-speed real-time radio modules with short ranges. This reduces design effort and costs while boosting the satellite’s technical reliability and flexibility.
Test in space planned for 2018
“The system is ready and waiting in our labs to be tested in space under real conditions,” says Mikschl. In 2018 already, Skith could hitch a ride on a satellite to be launched into space, allowing the system to prove how well it functions under real conditions.
Skith stands for “skip the harness”. As a reward for their innovation, Montenegro and Mikschl received a certificate, a satellite-shaped trophy and the invitation to apply for money with the DLR to fund new projects.
Learn more: The world’s first wireless satellite
The Latest on: Wireless satellite
via Google News
The Latest on: Wireless satellite
- Mobile Satellite Services Market: Huge Opportunities Exist in Convergence of Satellite & Wireless Industries on April 17, 2019 at 7:01 pm
Mobile satellite services (MSS) market report provides analysis for the period 2015 – 2025, wherein the period from 2017 to 2025 is the forecast and 2016 is the base year. The report covers all the ... […]
- Explore Why Global Optical Satellite Communication Market Is Thriving Worldwide: Acorde, Adtec digital, Agilis Satcom, Vanacom on April 17, 2019 at 3:26 am
Optical satellite communication technology is adopted by most of the telecom operators to transfer digital data through wireless network at high speed. Optical satellite communication system uses ... […]
- Satellite Internet: The Future! on April 15, 2019 at 7:02 pm
You don’t need a network of cell towers or telephone relay stations or underground cables. You satellite service is truly a wireless communications service. With so much to gain, it’s no wonder that ... […]
- Wireless Connectivity Technology Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 | Broadcom, Murata, Qualcomm Atheros, Mediatek on April 15, 2019 at 8:32 am
Browse 100+ market data Tables and Figures spread through Pages and in-depth TOC on " Wireless Connectivity Technology Market by Type (, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi/Bluetooth Smart, ZigBee, Global ... […]
- Mapping Global Pollution Through AI, Satellite Imagery And Intelligent Drones on April 13, 2019 at 9:17 pm
Commercial satellite imagery can identify large dumping areas ... of items and total trash volume of every instance of trash it finds. This is streamed via wireless link back to the operator’s ... […]
- New video of Intelsat 29e satellite reveals dramatic “anomaly” on April 12, 2019 at 1:41 pm
... Intelsat acknowledged a "service outage" on its Intelsat 29e satellite, which had affected maritime, aeronautical, and wireless operator customers in Latin America, the Caribbean, and North ... […]
- UK satellite sector grounded by financial realities on April 12, 2019 at 3:00 am
Federated Wireless has developed technology that allows governments and commercial users to share spectrum bands, which is valuable niche. Also promising is satellite company Hawkeye 360, which ... […]
- T-Mobile TVision Home promo offers satellite customers $500 to switch on April 10, 2019 at 12:17 pm
Joining the service launch is a program called ‘Satellite Freedom’ that’ll pay off early ... TVision Home will cost customers $90/month with ten bucks off for the carrier’s wireless customers, plus ... […]
- Intelsat satellite outage impacts services on April 10, 2019 at 9:24 am
Intelsat announced today a service outage on the Intelsat 29e satellite which continues to affect maritime, aeronautical and wireless operator customers in the Latin America, Caribbean and North ... […]
- Intelsat lost communication with Boeing-made satellite on April 10, 2019 at 7:53 am
Intelsat S.A. I, -0.06% said Wednesday it lost communication with its Intelsat 29e satellite, made by Boeing Co. BA, -1.09% that continues to affect wireless operator, aeronautical and maritime ... […]
via Bing News