Irish physicists researching photonics have made a new discovery that will profoundly impact our understanding of the fundamental nature of light and possibly transform the future of communications.
The discovery by Prof Paul Eastham from Trinity College Dublin’s School of Physics and Prof John Donegan from the Science Foundation Ireland-backed CRANN research centre could have a major impact in terms of fibre-optic communications.
One of the measurable characteristics of light is known as angular momentum.
Up until now, in all forms of light, the angular momentum was thought to be multiples of Planck’s constant – the physical constant that sets the scale of quantum effects.
But the professors were able to discover a form of light where the angular momentum could be a fraction rather than a multiple.
‘What I think is so exciting about this result is that even this fundamental property of light, that physicists have always thought was fixed, can be changed’
– PROF PAUL EASTHAM, TCD
Their findings were published in the online journal Science Advances.
Donegan said that his research focuses on the study of light at nanometre scale.
“A beam of light is characterised by its colour or wavelength and a less familiar quantity known as angular momentum. Angular momentum measures how much something is rotating.
‘Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications’
– PROF JOHN DONEGAN, CRANN
“For a beam of light, although travelling in a straight line, it can also be rotating around its own axis. So, when light from the mirror hits your eye in the morning, every photon twists your eye a little, one way or another.
“Our discovery will have real impacts for the study of light waves in areas such as secure optical communications.”
The Latest on: Fibre-optic communications
via Google News
The Latest on: Fibre-optic communications
- The quest to make Cornwall a global spaceport on January 9, 2019 at 9:01 pm
Yet the end of the 20th century saw the advent of new technologies and, as fibre-optic communications boomed, the era of huge geostationary satellites started to fade. In 2006, the site’s owners BT re... […]
- Honourable Premier Donaldson Romeo 2019 New Year Statement on January 9, 2019 at 6:13 am
Yes, the sea port, the undersea fibre optic cable, geothermal and solar energy development ... as I discussed in my recent interview with our acting Communications Director. In the past four years the ... […]
- Charters Towers to benefit from “smart” technology with citywide upgrades to provide free Wi-Fi on January 8, 2019 at 9:24 pm
The Smart Cities project will see fibre optic cable installed from Towers Hill to council’s Highway Depot, Dalrymple Saleyards, Administration Centre and the airport. The work will also include a $250 ... […]
- Quantenna’s Spartan Architecture Brings High-Capacity Mesh Wi-Fi to TIME’s Malaysian Customers on January 8, 2019 at 5:22 am
About Quantenna Communications Quantenna (NASDAQ ... Powering TIME’s businesses are its fibre optic network assets that span Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam – countries in which ... […]
- This technology is 'essential' for New Kuwait 2035's smart city vision on January 8, 2019 at 5:00 am
Aimed at linking Kuwaiti residences and public and private entities, the GCC country’s Ministry of Communications is installing fibre optic networks in a three-phase programme. At present, around 122 ... […]
- MCMC optimistic over HSBB system using TNB's fibre optic infrastructure on January 7, 2019 at 5:28 am
CYBERJAYA, Jan 7 (Bernama) -- The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) are optimistic over the capabilities of the high-speed broadband (HSBB) system using Tenaga Nasional Berhad’ ... […]
- Afghan fibre connectivity scheme should be finished in 7 months on January 7, 2019 at 1:32 am
Afghanistan's fibre optic connectivity project is at its final stage and ... An Afghan Telecom official said the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology is working on the implementation ... […]
- Ontario’s TeraGo says it could be first to sell 5G technology on January 6, 2019 at 12:52 pm
The company is conducting trials of next-generation technology using a trove of licences it has for frequency bands of spectrum (radio waves that carry communications signals ... by either high-speed ... […]
- Dividend Paying Telecoms Stocks Buck Market Slump on January 2, 2019 at 5:05 am
Also, many European telecom companies carry relatively heavy debt loads, while investments in fibre-optic networks and new wireless ... Telefonica (TEF) is leading the European communications market i... […]
- HGC donates 1000 lunch boxes to senior citizens in New Year's Eve to marks a delightful end of 2018 on January 2, 2019 at 1:00 am
About HGC Global Communications Limited HGC Global Communications ... HGC owns and operates an extensive fibre-optic network, four cross-border telecom routes integrated into tier-one telecom ... […]
via Bing News