Researchers at the CRANN nanoscience institute at Trinity College Dublin have discovered a new clean energy material that will increase the adoption of hydrogen as a fuel in energy-efficient transport.
Hydrogen has been described as the ultimate clean energy source and, potentially, a real alternative to fossil fuels.
It is seen as very attractive as it is a pollution-free fuel and energy carrier that would satisfy much of the energy requirements of our society.
Hydrogen is readily prepared by splitting water electrically into its component parts hydrogen and oxygen; a process called electrolysis. However, this process requires a significant energy input.
‘Our disruptive materials breakthrough is momentous as it means much more energetically efficient and more economical hydrogen energy’
– PROF MIKE LYONS, CRANN
But now, researchers at CRANN have developed a material that enhances the splitting of water at a very low energy cost using Earth-abundant raw materials.
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen fuel
- Air Products to Build Liquid Hydrogen Facility in California on January 8, 2019 at 7:01 am
The facility will help meet rising product demand from customers including the growing fleet of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCV) in the state. The facility is scheduled to come onstream in the ... […]
- Hi-tech ‘steam’ trains running on hydrogen will be in Britain ‘by 2022’ on January 8, 2019 at 6:25 am
The trains, run by French company Alstom, use hydrogen fuel cells, which convert hydrogen into electricity, producing clean, drinkable water. Unlike diesel-powered trains, the trains don’t pollute, an... […]
- Air Products to build second California liquid hydrogen production plant on January 7, 2019 at 1:27 pm
including the growing fleet of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in the state. As recent evidence of the commitment to the reliable supply of hydrogen for the California FCV market, APD cites the newly ... […]
- Air Products to Build Second Liquid Hydrogen Production Facility in California on January 7, 2019 at 11:38 am
Additionally, this new capacity will be available for the steadily increasing demand from hydrogen fuel cell vehicles," said Marie Ffolkes, president, Americas at Air Products. Liquified hydrogen ... […]
- Designs unveiled for new hydrogen-powered trains in the UK on January 7, 2019 at 7:27 am
In September 2018, Alstom announced that the "world's first hydrogen fuel cell train," the Coradia iLint, had entered into passenger service in Germany. While the newly designed Breeze train will use ... […]
- Hydrogen fuel cell trains to run on British railways from 2022 on January 7, 2019 at 6:34 am
Hydrogen-powered trains could run on British railways as early as 2022, as plans to introduce fuel cell technology to the network gather pace. French rail multinational Alstom and UK rolling stock ope... […]
- Alstom to introduce hydrogen-powered trains in U.K. on January 7, 2019 at 4:59 am
"Alstom and Eversholt Rail are working closely with industry stakeholders to develop the business cases and evaluate detailed introduction plans for fleets" and hydrogen fuel infrastructure, Alstom sa... […]
- Port in Spain to be Europe’s first to have operations powered by Hydrogen fuel cells on January 7, 2019 at 4:13 am
Spain’s Valencia Port will use hydrogen fuel cells for its cargo operations. In an effort to reduce the environmental impact of port activities, Spain’s Valencia port will use hydrogen fuel cells to r... […]
- Roxbury Students Build, Race Hydrogen Fuel Cell Cars on January 5, 2019 at 4:56 am
ROXBURY, NJ - For the third year in a row, the Physics & Tech classes from Roxbury High School recently participated in the Trans-Options Hydrogen Fuel Cell Challenge at New Providence High School. Th... […]
- Greener hydrogen from water on January 4, 2019 at 5:46 am
Hydrogen fuel, for example, doesn't emit any carbon dioxide and is considered more sustainable than traditional fossil fuels. The lightest element on the periodic table, hydrogen is an energy ... […]
via Bing News