A new glue that forms a strong bond when activated by low voltage electricity may be the first of its kind.
Researchers at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore believe the adhesive may be a game-changer in manufacturing fields as diverse as biological implants and automobiles.
The new adhesive is a liquid gel that “cures” to form a polymer bond when a voltage of less than two volts is passed through it. Curing is the amount of time it takes for a glue to reach full strength after it dries. The glue stops curing as soon as the current is turned off. Users can fine-tune the bond’s strength and flexibility by varying the current’s voltage and duration.
The bonding agent is a light, low-viscosity flowing liquid that allows users to coat and exactly position the materials to be joined. Applying voltage to the gel then rapidly cures it to a strong bond with high elasticity and high shear strength.
Currently available quick-curing adhesives used in industry are activated by light, heat or chemical catalysts, each of which limits uses to particular materials and appropriate environments. Light-activated adhesives, for example, are only suited to materials that are somewhat transparent, while thermosetting can only be used with components that can tolerate heat.
Such quick-curing adhesives are used widely in the manufacture of medical devices, automobiles and other consumer goods, where they are favoured over more labour-intensive, heavier mechanical fasteners such as rivets, screws or bolts, which weaken the materials to be fixed. However, there has been little innovation in the field for decades.
Potential uses for electro-cured adhesives include biological devices for which photo- or thermo-setting glues are problematic, such as bioelectronics or polymer electronics designed for attachment to living tissue. The adhesive can be tuned to handle certain vibration frequencies or to match the firmness and flexibility of the soft tissue to which it will be attached.
Learn more: New glue instantly hardens with electric current
The Latest on: Adhesive
via Google News
The Latest on: Adhesive
- Adhesive and Sealants Market Size Worth Around $83 Billion By 2026: Acumen Research and Consulting on February 18, 2019 at 4:25 am
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 18, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The global adhesive and sealants market is expected to reach the market value of around $83 billion by 2026 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of ... […]
- Adhesive Tape Field Experts to Educate Industry Newcomers on One of the Global Economy’s Hottest Technologies on February 18, 2019 at 3:23 am
The Hague, The Netherlands – Afera, the European Adhesive Tape Association, announced its 9th biennial event organised, hosted and taught by the best and brightest of the field of adhesive tape. Uniqu... […]
- ArachniGRIP Offers Slide Spider Adhesive Grip for Sig P938 Pistols on February 17, 2019 at 8:04 am
Parker, CO – (Ammoland.com) – ArachniGRIP®, creator and manufacturer of the innovative Slide Spider® adhesive slide grip, is proud to offer the Slide Spider for the popular Sig P938. Shooters can now ... […]
- Topical Skin Adhesive Market Analysis, Industry Outlook, Growth and Forecast by 2028 on February 17, 2019 at 3:07 am
Feb 17, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Market.us Explore recently announces that research report on “Global Topical Skin Adhesive Market By Type (2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate Adhesive, N-2-Butyl-Cyanoacry... […]
- Adhesive Free Surface Protection Films Market (2018-2026) Outlook of Key Players :Avery Denison, Nitto, Belkin, 3M, Spigen, Moshi on February 15, 2019 at 6:03 am
The latest market intelligence study on the Adhesive Free Surface Protection Films Market performs an extensive analysis of the competitive landscape and growing investment pocket of the Adhesive Free ... […]
- Automotive Adhesive Tapes market analysis detailed in new research report on February 15, 2019 at 4:56 am
The "Global Automotive Adhesive Tapes Market 2019-2025" report provides the comprehensive research-based study of the market along with the market share, in-depth analysis and detailed overview of the ... […]
- Optically Clear Adhesive Market by Resin Type and Application: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast, 2018 - 2025 on February 14, 2019 at 3:20 pm
NEW YORK, Feb. 14, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Optically Clear Adhesive Market by Resin Type (Acrylic, Polyvinyl Acetate, Polyurethane, Silicon, Epoxy, and Others) and Application (Mobile Phones, Tablets ... […]
- Global Adhesive Tape Market is Supposed to Reach US$ 73.50 Billion by 2024 on February 14, 2019 at 6:57 am
Feb 14, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- New York, February 14, 2019: Market Research Engine has published a new report titled as "Global Adhesive Tape Market, By Resin (Acrylic, Rubber, Silicone and ... […]
- DESY's X-ray source PETRA III reveals details of adhesive structures of spider legs on February 11, 2019 at 6:38 am
In order to find out why the hunting spider Cupiennius salei adheres so well to vertical surfaces, the interdisciplinary research team investigates the tiny adhesive hairs on the spider legs. […]
- DowDuPont Releasing New Soft Skin Adhesive for Wearable Medical Devices on February 7, 2019 at 9:59 am
DowDuPont‘s Specialty Products Division is releasing a new soft skin adhesive, specifically designed for today’s wearable medical devices. The DOW CORNING MG 7-1020 Soft Skin Adhesive is a silicone-ba... […]
via Bing News