A new glue that forms a strong bond when activated by low voltage electricity may be the first of its kind.
Researchers at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore believe the adhesive may be a game-changer in manufacturing fields as diverse as biological implants and automobiles.
The new adhesive is a liquid gel that “cures” to form a polymer bond when a voltage of less than two volts is passed through it. Curing is the amount of time it takes for a glue to reach full strength after it dries. The glue stops curing as soon as the current is turned off. Users can fine-tune the bond’s strength and flexibility by varying the current’s voltage and duration.
The bonding agent is a light, low-viscosity flowing liquid that allows users to coat and exactly position the materials to be joined. Applying voltage to the gel then rapidly cures it to a strong bond with high elasticity and high shear strength.
Currently available quick-curing adhesives used in industry are activated by light, heat or chemical catalysts, each of which limits uses to particular materials and appropriate environments. Light-activated adhesives, for example, are only suited to materials that are somewhat transparent, while thermosetting can only be used with components that can tolerate heat.
Such quick-curing adhesives are used widely in the manufacture of medical devices, automobiles and other consumer goods, where they are favoured over more labour-intensive, heavier mechanical fasteners such as rivets, screws or bolts, which weaken the materials to be fixed. However, there has been little innovation in the field for decades.
Potential uses for electro-cured adhesives include biological devices for which photo- or thermo-setting glues are problematic, such as bioelectronics or polymer electronics designed for attachment to living tissue. The adhesive can be tuned to handle certain vibration frequencies or to match the firmness and flexibility of the soft tissue to which it will be attached.
Learn more: New glue instantly hardens with electric current
The Latest on: Adhesive
via Google News
The Latest on: Adhesive
- New adhesive patch could help reduce post-heart attack muscle damage on April 17, 2019 at 7:57 pm
Researchers have designed a new type of adhesive patch that can be placed directly on the heart and may one day help to reduce the stretching of heart muscle that often occurs after a heart attack. ... […]
- Instant Adhesive Market To Reach USD 3.14 Billion By 2026 | Reports And Data on April 17, 2019 at 8:34 am
The rising need for automation and miniaturization in the electronics industry and growing effectiveness of these adhesives even at room temperature are the major factors influencing market growth. […]
- Police seek sticky-fingered thief accused of stealing 25 containers of roofing adhesive in Mechanicsburg on April 17, 2019 at 6:49 am
CUMBERLAND COUNTY — Police in Lower Allen Township are looking for a sticky-fingered thief who stole 25 containers of Carlisle Bonding Adhesive from a roofing project on the 4900 block of Louise ... […]
- Better healing for eardrum injuries? Researchers testing new adhesive structures for medical applications on April 17, 2019 at 6:40 am
More than 30 million people worldwide suffer from eardrum injuries every year. If inadequately treated, the resulting hearing loss can severely restrict the patients' quality of life. Smaller ... […]
- Global Medical Adhesive Tapes Market Prospective Growth, Opportunities, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2024 on April 17, 2019 at 12:28 am
This report studies the Medical Adhesive Tapes market, Medical adhesive tape also known as surgical tape, medical adhesive tape is available in many different types for a variety of medical ... […]
- Medical Adhesive Tapes Global Market Demand, Growth, Opportunities, Top Key Players and Forecast to 2024 on April 17, 2019 at 12:15 am
Apr 17, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- WiseGuyRerports.com Presents "Global Medical Adhesive Tapes Market 2019 by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2024" New Document to its ... […]
- DuPont Receives Edison Award For Composite Bonding Adhesive on April 16, 2019 at 9:04 am
An innovative composite bonding adhesive from DuPont earned silver honors at the 2019 Edison Awards celebration in New York City last week. The Edison Awards, named after Thomas Alva Edison, recognize ... […]
- Global Automotive Adhesive Tapes Market Forecast to 2025: Anticipated to Reach $7.1 Billion, Growing at a CAGR of 4.5% on April 15, 2019 at 12:34 am
Dublin, April 15, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The "Automotive Adhesive Tapes Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Product (Double-sided, Specialty), By Function, By Application (Interior, ... […]
- H.B. Fuller Unveils the Next Generation of Adhesive Solutions for Woodworking at Ligna 2019 on April 10, 2019 at 9:11 pm
ZURICH, April 10, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Leading global adhesive provider, H.B. Fuller (FUL) announced today that it will launch a set of new, more sustainable solutions at Ligna 2019 in Hannover ... […]
- Method, Olly Vitamins Founder Is Making Cool Adhesive Bandages For Grown-Ups on April 9, 2019 at 10:39 am
The entrepreneur behind Method cleaning products and more recently Olly vitamins is injecting another huge consumer category with good design: first aid. Princess and superhero Band-Aids are great for ... […]
via Bing News