The “Internet of Things” could make cities “smarter” by connecting an extensive network of tiny communications devices to make life more efficient. But all these machines will require a lot of energy. Rather than adding to the global reliance on fossil fuels to power the network, researchers say they have a new solution.
Their report on a single device that harvests wind and solar energy appears in the journal ACS Nano.
Computer industry experts predict that tens of billions of gadgets will make up the Internet of Things within just five years, according to news reports. They’ll be in homes, syncing coffee makers to alarm clocks. They’ll be in buildings, managing lights and air temperature. But they’ll also require energy to run. Sustainably generating more energy in cities close to where the devices will be used is challenging. Cities don’t have much space for towering wind turbines, for example. Ya Yang, Zhong Lin Wang and colleagues wanted to find a better way to power smart cities.
For the first time, the researchers have integrated two energy harvesting technologies in one: a silicon solar cell and a nanogenerator that can convert wind energy into electrical output. The solar cell component of the system delivers 8 milliWatts of power output (1 milliWatt can light up 100 small LEDs). The wind harvesting component delivers up to 26 milliWatts. Together, under simulated sun and wind conditions, four devices on the roof of a model home could turn on the LEDs inside and power a temperature-humidity sensor. Installed in large numbers on real rooftops, the hybrid device could help enable smart cities.
The Latest on: Internet of Things
via Google News
The Latest on: Internet of Things
- The Internet of Things and the Cloud on April 17, 2019 at 11:02 am
Back in the 1970s, it was popular for businesses to rent time using big, mainframe computer systems. These systems were extremely large and expensive, so it didn’t make sense financially for ... […]
- Japan’s Fujitsu testing internet of things in sea cucumber farming on April 17, 2019 at 9:22 am
Electronics supplier Fujitsu is testing the use of the internet of things involving land-based sea cucumber and sea urchin farming that aims to enable remote montioring of the operation, Japan's ... […]
- Europe Variable Frequency Drive Markets 2019 2024 Opportunities in Aging Power on April 17, 2019 at 6:15 am
DUBLIN, April 17, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Europe VFDs Market by Application (Pump, Fan, Compressor, Conveyor, Extruder), Power Rating (0-0.5, 0.5-20, 20-50, 50-200, >200kW), Voltage (Low and Medium) ... […]
- Global Internet of Things (IoT) in Energy Sector Market Fuelling the Demand by Growing Concern Towards Energy Management on April 17, 2019 at 6:02 am
Apr 17, 2019 (AmericanNewsHour via COMTEX) -- The global internet of things (IoT) in energy sector market has been segmented by software into real-time streaming analytics, security software, data ... […]
- National Group Seeks Policymakers, Internet of Things Industry Leaders to Join Security Action Committee on April 17, 2019 at 3:15 am
OTTAWA, Ontario--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Canadian Multistakeholder Process to enhance Internet of Things (IoT) security has a game plan to secure Canada’s connected future and will form an action ... […]
- Internet Of Things IOT Professional Services Market Business Analysis and Focusing on Top Key on April 17, 2019 at 1:30 am
Global Internet Of Things (IOT) Professional Services Market Research Report 2019 provide detailed information about Internet Of Things (IOT) Professional Services Industry growth, trends, regional ... […]
- Keys to Securing the Internet of Things (IoT) Healthcare Market which Visualizing the Healthtech Revolution by 2021 on April 16, 2019 at 10:53 pm
According to the report, the global internet of things (IoT) healthcare market accounted for $60 billion in 2014 and is projected to garner $136.8 billion by 2021, registering a CAGR of 12.5% over the ... […]
- Internet Of Things In Energy Market to Witness Massive Growth by Key Players: Agt International, Carriots S.L, Cisco Systems on April 16, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Apr 17, 2019 (Heraldkeeper via COMTEX) -- The Exploration study offers deep assessment of the Global Internet Of Things In Energy Market and helps market participants to gain a solid base in the ... […]
- Oregon House OKs bill to boost 'Internet of Things' security on April 16, 2019 at 5:07 pm
SALEM, Ore. - The privacy, safety and security features of increasingly ubiquitous ‘Internet of Things’ devices, those smart speakers and other items connected to the internet, are the focus of ... […]
- How to recognize Industrial Internet of Things on April 16, 2019 at 11:05 am
Even now, in the post-industrial world, industry remains the biggest requester — and consumer — of progress. In the connected world, it is manufacturing that invests the most in IoT ($ ... […]
via Bing News