Weaning cars and trucks off of gasoline and diesel made from fossil fuels is a difficult task. One promising solution involves biodiesel, which comes from natural oils and fats, but it is costly. Using a microwave and catalyst-coated beads, scientists have devised a new way to convert waste cooking oil into biodiesel that could make it more affordable.
They report how they did it in ACS’ journal Energy & Fuels.
Biodiesel has many advantages over traditional fuels. It is renewable, biodegradable and emits less carbon dioxide. It can also easily take the place of conventional diesel without the need for carmakers to modify engines. However, producing biodiesel at a low cost remains a challenge. Waste cooking oil is currently the most appealing source because it doesn’t compete with the demand for virgin cooking oil. However, the process to convert it to fuel is complicated and expensive. Aharon Gedanken and colleagues wanted to find a simpler and less expensive method.
The researchers developed silica beads coated with a catalyst and added them to waste cooking oil. Then, they zapped the mixture with a modified microwave oven to spur the reaction of the beads with cooking oil. In just 10 seconds, nearly 100 percent of the oil was converted to fuel. The researchers could also easily recover the beads and reuse them at least 10 times with similar results.
The Latest on: Biodiesel
via Google News
The Latest on: Biodiesel
- Germany’s foreign trade of biodiesel at record level on February 20, 2019 at 5:52 am
The German Federal Statistical Office has confirmed Germany’s brisk foreign trade of biodiesel. The total volume amounted to around 3 million metric tons (approximately 900.6 million gallons), with im... […]
- Criminal Enforcement: U.S. Department of Justice Announces Sentencing for Elizabeth, New Jersey, Biodiesel Fuel Company for... on February 19, 2019 at 7:02 pm
The United States Department of Justice (“DOJ”) issued a February 8th news release stating that Fuel Bio One, LLC (“FBO”) had been sentenced for an alleged violation of the Clean Water Act. The Elizab... […]
- Global Biodiesel Market Report Highlights Growth Trends and Opportunity Assessment during 2017 – 2026 on February 19, 2019 at 6:07 am
Biodiesel is acquired from non-mineral sources like vegetable oil or animal fats, and is used in standard diesel engines. The popularity of this fuel is spreading to different parts of the globe, sinc... […]
- Biodiesel Market Expected To Generate A CAGR of 4.00 % By 2026 on February 18, 2019 at 10:16 pm
Feb 19, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Biodiesel is defined as vegetable oil- or animal fat-based diesel fuel consisting of mono-alkyl (methyl, ethyl, or propyl) esters of long chain fatty acids wh... […]
- Rising biodiesel blends sees production rise and prices fall on February 18, 2019 at 4:06 pm
In Brazil, Platts reports that data from the energy ministry shows increasing the biodiesel blending mandate to 10% with an eye to further increases in the mandate has encouraged increased production ... […]
- Biodiesel use to expand in Brazil on February 13, 2019 at 10:01 am
BNamericas develops thousands of news articles, analyses and features every month, always concentrating on how to make or save money in Latin American business. This news article is one of hundreds pu... […]
- LaHood partners with Iowa Democrat in biodiesel push on February 13, 2019 at 8:45 am
Rep. Darin LaHood has joined forces with Rep. Dave Loebsack of Iowa in a bipartisan effort to rally other legislators to extend the biodiesel tax credit. The congressmen sent a letter to lawmakers Mon... […]
- Biodiesel Tax Credit Could Be Saved By Border Wall Deal on February 13, 2019 at 7:08 am
Lower diesel prices for truck stop owners and their trucking customers could hinge on the ability of Congress and President Donald Trump to hash out a deal by Friday's deadline on a new spending bill. ... […]
- Global Biodiesel Market Size, Share, News, Growth, Trends and Forecast by 2028 on February 12, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Feb 13, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Market.us adds a new market research report on “Global Biodiesel Market By Type (Rapeseed Oil Based Feedstock, Soybean Oil Based Feedstock, and Others), By Ap... […]
- EU exempts eight Argentine biodiesel producers from duties on February 12, 2019 at 4:28 am
BRUSSELS, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Eight Argentine biodiesel producers will be allowed to export to the European Union without paying duties as long as they sell at a set minimum price, the EU’s Official Jo... […]
via Bing News