Scientists have demonstrated a method for generating several key types of eye tissue from human stem cells in a way that mirrors whole eye development.
When transplanted to an animal model of corneal blindness, these tissues are shown to repair the front of the eye and restore vision, which scientists say could pave the way for human clinical trials of anterior eye transplantation to restore lost or damaged vision.
A collaborative team comprising researchers from Cardiff University and Osaka University in Japan describe their findings today (embargo: 18:00GMT, 09 March, 2016) in Nature.
The eye is composed of highly specialized tissues that are derived from a variety of cell lineages during development.
Previous studies have demonstrated that particular cell types, such as those that constitute the retina or cornea, can be created in the laboratory from pluripotent stem cells. However, these studies do not represent the complexity of whole eye development.
This latest study reports the generation of multiple cell lineages of the eye, including the lens, cornea, and conjunctiva, using human induced pluripotent stem cells.
The scientists have been able to show that the corneal epithelial cells can be cultivated and transplanted onto the eyes of rabbits with experimentally induced blindness to surgically repair the front of the eye.
Study co-author, Professor Andrew Quantock, said: “This research shows that various types of human stem cells are able to take on the characteristics of the cornea, lens and retina.
“Importantly, it demonstrates that one cell type – the corneal epithelium – could be further grown in the lab and then transplanted on to a rabbit’s eye where it was functional, achieving recovered vision.
“Our work not only holds potential for developing cells for treatment of other areas of the eye, but could set the stage for future human clinical trials of anterior eye transplantation to restore visual function.”
The Latest on: Stem cell transplantation
via Google News
The Latest on: Stem cell transplantation
- Elk Grove Man Selling Memorabilia to Help Pay for Stem Cell Therapyon September 6, 2019 at 10:33 pm
ELK GROVE -- A few years ago, a young Elk Grove father turned to social media to fundraise for a family friend whose son needed a heart transplant ... the cost for stem cell therapy.
- A life-saving stem cell match has been found for a 7-year-old boyon September 6, 2019 at 5:23 am
Finley will receive his much needed transplant. But Jo is hopeful and said if all goes well Finley could lead a normal life. It comes after the family endlessly held stem cell donor drives in a bid to ...
- The Berlin Patient: Cured of HIV with a stem cell transplant, Timothy Brown visits Vancouveron September 5, 2019 at 5:12 pm
An anonymous stem cell donor cured Timothy Ray Brown of both his leukemia and his HIV. For years, experts wondered whether it was a cure or just a temporary remission. It’s been 11 years.
- Study Shows Stem Cells May Be Better Choice Than Tissue Transplantation for Treating LSCDon September 5, 2019 at 8:30 am
indicate that a limbal stem cell (LSC) transplantation is superior to a tissue graft in treating limbal stem cell deficiency syndrome (LSCD). This could result in a new and better treatment for LSCD, ...
- Daratumumab for treatment of pure red cell aplasia after allogeneic stem cell transplantationon September 3, 2019 at 9:31 am
All prices are NET prices. VAT will be added later in the checkout. Bolan CD, Leitman SF, Griffith LM, Wesley RA, Procter JL, Stroncek DF, et al. Delayed donor red cell chimerism and pure red cell ...
- Boy beats blood cancer with 2nd shot at stem cell transplant in Gujaraton September 2, 2019 at 7:37 pm
AHMEDABAD: Priyanshu Vasava,15, now has his father’s blood, cent percent! The boy — hailing from a tribal district of Narmada — was recently declared free of Hodgkin’s lymphoma, or blood ...
- Woman regains sight after stem cell transplanton August 30, 2019 at 11:52 pm
A patient who was almost blind in one eye has had her sight restored after undergoing the world’s first transplant of corneal tissue created from stem cells. The breakthrough by doctors at Osaka ...
- Pancreas on a chip: Organ-on-a-chip and stem-cell tech combinedon August 30, 2019 at 1:36 pm
But like all transplants, there is a lot involved in making sure that ... The device makes it easier to screen drugs that stimulate insulin secretion, test stem cell-derived beta cells, and study the ...
- How Stem Cell Therapy Saved One Man's Lifeon August 30, 2019 at 3:03 am
About eight years ago, he had been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease, but at the time of his diagnosis he was told that if he kept his weight down, he would never need a transplant ... Joseph ...
- 3-year-old Texas girl in urgent need of transplant after two attempts with family members failon August 29, 2019 at 2:51 pm
HOUSTON — A 3-year-old girl from Magnolia is fighting for her life in a Houston-area hospital, waiting desperately for a blood stem cell transplant to fight her rare and deadly blood disorder. Addyson ...
via Bing News