Using a bionic finger, researchers at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology In Lausanne (EPFL) have developed a way for amputees to feel texture. It is an innovation that could potentially lead to better prosthetics.
“The stimulation felt almost like what I would feel with my hand,” said amputee Dennis Aabo Sørensen in an EPFL statement released on Tuesday.
Using the EPFL device, Sørensen has become the first person in the world to feel texture using a bionic fingertip. In experiments, he was able to distinguish between rough and smooth textures with 96% accuracy.
To achieve this breakthrough, researchers Silvestro Micera, from EPFL and SSSA (Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna), and Calogero Oddo from SSSA surgically connected their bionic fingertip to the upper arm of an amputee. When the fingertip is passed over a textured piece of plastic, sensors generate electrical signals that mimic the activity of real human nerve cells.
Just like the real thing
To compare their results to those from a non-amputee, the researchers used fine needles instead of surgery to connect a subject’s arm to the bionic fingertip. The non-amputees could correctly detect roughness or smoothness 77% of the time.
They then measured the brainwaves of the non-amputees while they detected texture using first their own finger, and then the bionic finger.
The results showed that analogous regions of the subject’s brain were active during both experiments, suggesting that the feeling of touch from the robotic finger truly resembles naturally produced sensory information.
“This study…provides additional evidence that research in neuroprosthetics can contribute to the neuroscience debate, specifically about the neuronal mechanisms of the human sense of touch,” said Oddo in a statement. “It will also be translated to other applications such as artificial touch in robotics for surgery, rescue, and manufacturing.”
Learn more: New bionic fingertip can ‘feel’ texture
The Latest on: Bionics
via Google News
The Latest on: Bionics
- Are Bionic Cornea The Next Frontier In Human Bionics?on October 9, 2020 at 7:54 am
Bionic limbs have been entering the mainstream for a number of years, helping to improve the lives of people with limb difference.
- Ekso Bionics (NASDAQ:EKSO) versus Graf Industrial (NASDAQ:GRAF) Financial Surveyon October 9, 2020 at 2:31 am
Ekso Bionics (NASDAQ:EKSO) and Graf Industrial (NYSE:GRAF) are both small-cap medical companies, but which is the superior investment? We will contrast the two companies based on the strength of their ...
- Open Bionics just released an affordable and intuitive bionic arm that can even fit kidson October 5, 2020 at 5:00 pm
is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Powered by its own proprietary technology, Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content for its ...
- Global Bio-MEMS Devices Markets, 2012-2019 & 2020-2027: Focus on Neural Implants, Bionics, ENT Implants, Cardio-MEMS and Other Applicationson October 1, 2020 at 11:38 am
DUBLIN, Oct. 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Bio-MEMS Devices - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Amid the COVID-19 crisis, the global ...
- Global Bio-MEMS Devices Markets, 2012-2019 & 2020-2027: Focus on Neural Implants, Bionics, ENT Implants, Cardio-MEMS and Other Applicationson October 1, 2020 at 11:19 am
© 2020 Insider Inc. and finanzen.net GmbH (Imprint). All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service and ...
- Ford Rolls Out Exoskeletons at 15 Plantson September 29, 2020 at 5:00 pm
This video shows EksoVest in use during the assembly process at Ford. (Source: Ekso Bionics) Those numbers may not seem huge, but projections going forward show a steep curve upward. ABI expects total ...
- Bionic Devices Market SWOT Study, Type, PESTEL Analysis and Future Strategies | ABIOMED Inc, Touch Bionics Inc, Baxter AGon September 29, 2020 at 6:14 am
MarketResearch.Biz has posted a newly modern statistical statistics, titled as Bionic Devices Market. It is a precious supply of statistical information for Bionic Devices market and consists of ...
- Vital Organs Support Systems and Medical Bionics 2020 Global Market Outlook,Research,Trends And Forecast To 2024on September 21, 2020 at 5:04 am
Vital Organs Support Systems include Artificial Heart,Artificial Kidney,Artificial Pancreas,Artificial Urinary Bladder,Artificial Lungs and Artificial Liver.Medical bionics refers to the science of ...
- Artificial Organ & Bionics Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Industry Demand, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast 2026on September 18, 2020 at 3:46 pm
Wiseguyreports.Com Adds "Artificial Organ & Bionics-Market Demand, Growth, Opportunities and Analysis Of Top Key Player Forecast To 2026" To Its Research Database This report has been prepared ...
via Bing News