Revolutionary project uniting DRI expertise and Drone America technology
A team of Nevada scientists and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) engineers have successfully flight tested the first-ever autonomous cloud seeding aircraft platform.
Cloud seeding flare tests were deployed from Drone America’s DAx8 UAS aircraft flown in Reno in late January.
As the first phase in a new industry-academic research partnership between the Desert Research Institute (DRI), Drone America, and AviSight, the test flight of a DAx8 multi-rotor aircraft with attached cloud seeding cargo validates the potential for UAS to significantly enhance airborne seeding operations, explained Adam Watts, Ph.D, the project’s lead and an assistant research professor at DRI.
“This is a major milestone,” said Watts. “Utilizing our state’s FAA test site designation, we were able to fly this advanced aircraft right here in Northern Nevada and verify that UAS are fully capable of carrying active cloud seeding payloads.”
The DAx8 is a robust multi-rotor aircraft for commercial and industrial applications. The unique eight-rotor design allows for the DAx8 to carry large payloads, while the advanced software and GPS guidance provide the aircraft with self-stabilizing capability and multi-waypoint navigation.
“We are extremely excited to have completed yet another step in reaching our goal of autonomous cloud seeding application,” said Mike Richards, President and CEO of Drone America.“Our joint research program with DRI is well on its way to revolutionizing the cloud seeding industry by providing safe airborne seeding with significant potential of providing relief to people in drought-stricken areas.”
The next phase of the project will be to conduct flight planning and test airborne flare deployment with Drone America’s Savant fixed-wing aircraft, said Watts.
The Latest on: Autonomous cloud seeding aircraft
via Google News
The Latest on: Autonomous cloud seeding aircraft
- RAF Tests Swarm Loaded With BriteCloud Electronic Warfare Decoys To Overwhelm Air Defenseson October 9, 2020 at 2:40 am
The drone swarm used the affordable off-the-shelf decoy to wreak havoc on enemy integrated air defense systems.
- HAPSMobile and Loon First in the World to Deliver LTE Connectivity from a Fixed-Wing Autonomous Aircraft in the Stratosphereon October 7, 2020 at 9:35 pm
Jointly developed communications payload enables video call during Sunglider’s stratospheric test flight SoftBank Corp.’s HAPSMobile Inc. (“HAPSMobile”) and Alphabet’s Loon LLC (“Loon ...
- Britten-Norman to develop semi-autonomous Islanderon October 6, 2020 at 9:03 am
Britten-Norman is to work with UK unmanned technology start-up Blue Bear to produce a semi-autonomous version of ... UK’s “only sovereign commercial aircraft manufacturer” to develop its ...
- Queensland named as home of Boeing's military drone production facilityon October 5, 2020 at 9:47 pm
The first homemade unmanned, autonomous aircraft prototype, called the Loyal Wingman, was unveiled with the Royal Australian Air Force in May this year. Read also: Is there room for ethics and the ...
- Bell Learned That Its APT 70 Cargo Drone Can Integrate With Manned Traffic During A Demo Flight. What Did It Learn About Avoidance and 5G?on October 2, 2020 at 10:13 am
These will figure in future testing where the cargo drone will fly into conflict with other aircraft and Bell and the FAA will evaluate autonomous response time relative to human-in-the-loop time.
- Bell and Xwing complete drone flight tests using detect-and-avoid systemon September 30, 2020 at 11:54 am
Autonomous aircraft company Xwing and helicopter maker Bell have completed test flights of a four-prop drone outfitted with “detect-and-avoid” (DAA) technology, demonstrating systems the ...
- Rain in UAE: UAE tests efficiency of new cloud seeding material in Texason September 23, 2020 at 5:57 am
A total of 40 flares have been dedicated for the flight campaign, which will be conducted in coordination with the Texas Water District cloud seeding aircraft. The seeding aircraft will fly under ...
- UAE tests new cloud seeding nanomaterialson September 22, 2020 at 1:24 pm
A total of 40 flares have been dedicated for the flight campaign that will be conducted in coordination with the Texas Water District cloud seeding aircraft. The seeding aircraft will fly under cloud ...
- UAEREP tests efficiency of new cloud seeding nanomaterials in USon September 22, 2020 at 6:01 am
A total of 40 flares have been dedicated for the flight campaign that will be conducted in coordination with the Texas Water District cloud seeding aircraft ABU DHABI - The UAE Rain Enhancement ...
- UAEREP tests efficiency of new cloud seeding nanomaterials in USon September 22, 2020 at 5:20 am
A total of 40 flares have been dedicated for the flight campaign that will be conducted in coordination with the Texas Water District cloud seeding aircraft. The seeding aircraft will fly under ...
via Bing News