The biggest downside of Wi-Fi for most users might be that it can really drain your smartphone or tablet battery, but a research team at the University of Washington has come up with a way to make using the nearly ubiquitous wireless technology in a less taxing way.
They have demonstrated a technique for using 10,000 times less power than typical Wi-Fi (well, at up to 11Mbps anyway) and next month will present a paper titled “Passive Wi-Fi: Bringing Low Power to Wi-Fi Transmissions” at the USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design in Santa Clara.
Not only is Passive Wi-Fi more energy-efficient than typical Wi-Fi, but the research says it uses 1,000 times less power than Bluetooth Low Energy and Zigbee.
“We wanted to see if we could achieve Wi-Fi transmissions using almost no power at all,” said co-author Shyam Gollakota, a UW assistant professor of computer science and engineering, in a statement. The researchers did this in part by decoupling analog and digital operations of radio transmissions, and making the analog part (which typically consumes 100s of milliwatts of power) much more efficient. Their scheme involves centralizing the heavy lifting, like producing a signal at a specific frequency, into a plugged-in device, then using passive sensors that include digital switches to reflect and absorb such signals.
Such passive Wi-Fi technology could support typical Wi-Fi applications, but also pave the way for broader Internet of Things support. After all, one of the obstacles to IoT adoption is additional power usage for all sorts of household items, for example.
Learn more: Researchers make low-power Wi-Fi breakthrough
The Latest on: Wi-Fi
via Google News
The Latest on: Wi-Fi
- New study: WiFi Home Router market forecast to 2023 on February 18, 2019 at 1:30 pm
A Wifi/wireless router is a device that performs the functions of a router and also includes the functions of a wireless access point. It is used to provide access to the Internet or a private compute... […]
- Tanaza announces the launch of TanazaOS, the cloud-based Operating System for WiFi Access Points on February 18, 2019 at 1:26 pm
MILAN, Feb. 18, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Tanaza, the Milan-based WiFi cloud management software company, introduces its latest innovation: TanazaOS, a Linux-based operating system for centralized ... […]
- How To Connect with Free WiFi at Indian Railway Stations on February 18, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Turn on phone's WiFi, search for Availabe Networks, and select the Railwire Network. Railwire website's homepage will appear on the screen: Enter your Mobile Number and click the Receive SMS to receiv... […]
- How to fix Galaxy S10 won’t connect to wifi issue on February 18, 2019 at 8:57 am
Dealing with a non-working wifi connection is one of the annoying problems a Samsung Galaxy S10 user can face. Fortunately, the solutions are often handy and easy to do. This troubleshooting ... […]
- Branded WiFi Routers Under $50 You Must Buy Today At A Discount: Includes Xiaomi Mi Router 4, Tenda AC10 And More on February 18, 2019 at 8:48 am
If you happen to own a high-end laptop or a smartphone and you want to get the most of it, you must own efficient WiFi Routers. The need you ask? Well, work without hiccups, games without lags or ... […]
- The TP-Link Smart WiFi Plug is So Cheap That You Should Pick Up Two, Or Three on February 18, 2019 at 5:45 am
Have too many or way less smart WiFi plugs at home? Don’t worry, this deal from TP-Link won’t break your bank, because it costs just $13.98 instead of its usual $40 price today. TP-Link has ... […]
- WiFi Thermostats Market Outlook To 2028 by Product, Application, Geography and Leading Companies on February 17, 2019 at 4:18 am
Feb 17, 2019 (WiredRelease via COMTEX) -- Market.us Explore recently announces that research report on “Global WiFi Thermostats Market By Type (Battery-powered, and Hardwired), By Application (Residen... […]
- El Al introduces WiFi to North American flights on February 17, 2019 at 3:52 am
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being ... […]
- Can Technology Solve Brexit Impasse When the Wifi Doesn't Work? on February 16, 2019 at 4:01 pm
From her home office close to the Irish border, Catriona Curran can spend up to eight hours struggling to e-mail documents to the U.S. She has a hard time believing technology could unlock the answer ... […]
- Today’s top deals: $20 headphones, Instant Pots, Philips Hue sale, Google Wifi, Apple Watch deals, more on February 16, 2019 at 7:29 am
Surprise! We don’t typically round up the best deals of the day on weekends, but there are so many killer bargains out there that we really had to do a roundup today. We love our readers way too ... […]
via Bing News