Engineers at Oregon State University have identified a new approach for the storage of concentrated solar thermal energy, to reduce its cost and make it more practical for wider use.
Conceptually, all of the energy produced could be stored indefinitely and used later when the electricity is most needed.
Some energy could be used immediately and the rest stored for later use.
Many alternative energy systems are constrained by this lack of dependability and consistent energy flow.
In contrast to conventional solar photovoltaic cells that produce electricity directly from sunlight, solar thermal generation of energy is developed as a large power plant in which acres of mirrors precisely reflect sunlight onto a solar receiver.
“The molten salts now being used to store solar thermal energy can only work at about 600 degrees centigrade, and also require large containers and corrosive materials. The compound we’re studying can be used at up to 1,200 degrees, and might be twice as efficient as existing systems.”This has the potential for a real breakthrough in energy storage,” he said.
In laboratory tests, one concern arose when the energy storage capacity of the process declined after 45 heating and cooling cycles, due to some changes in the underlying materials.
The Latest on: Solar thermal energy
via Google News
The Latest on: Solar thermal energy
- Embracing the power of Earth with green geothermal energy on March 8, 2019 at 8:31 am
Baseload Capital finances and develops projects for Climeon, a Swedish company, which claims to have developed tech to make geothermal power as accessible as wind and solar. Geothermal energy is the h... […]
- Renewable Energy Sources Grasp the Focus of Progressive Companies on March 8, 2019 at 6:30 am
and heat derived. Yet, these energy alternatives can be costly, hindering the overall renewable energy market. Nevertheless, solar energy has quickly become an increasingly popular alternative due to ... […]
- Global Solar Thermal Collector Market Booming Trends and Forecast Assessment for the Period 2019-2024 on March 8, 2019 at 2:23 am
03/08/2019 -- Solar Thermal Collector collects heat by absorbing sunlight. A collector is a device for capturing solar radiation. Solar radiation is energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation fro... […]
- NM Panel Advances Tax Credit For Solar Energy Systems on March 7, 2019 at 3:51 pm
The bill, which cleared the Committee on Finance on Wednesday, would provide a credit equal to 10 percent of the cost of equipment and installation of a solar thermal system or a solar photovoltaic sy... […]
- PanelClaw, Yotta Integrate Rooftop Solar And Storage Solutions on March 7, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Yotta’s patented passive thermal regulation technology ... We created the SolarLEAF to make adding energy storage seamless for solar developers and utilities by eliminating the design and ... […]
- Capitalism Vs. Climate Change: The Case Of GlassPoint Solar on March 7, 2019 at 8:02 am
That heat energy can either be stored for later (in which case, molten salt is the material of choice) or can be used to do work (in which case, the pipe is filled with water that turns to steam). Gla... […]
- Liquid metal research: New solutions for the energy transition on March 7, 2019 at 3:50 am
(Nanowerk News) Whether for thermal energy storage systems, new process paths for the emission-free production of hydrogen, or innovative large-scale solar power plants: liquid metal technologies deve... […]
- Arizona State University Wins Solar Cell Research Awards on March 6, 2019 at 10:51 pm
Arizona State University recently earned six prestigious Department of Energy awards ... SETO funds early-stage research projects that advance both solar photovoltaics and concentrating solar-thermal ... […]
- The PowerWatch 2 runs entirely on its wearer’s body heat and solar energy on March 6, 2019 at 3:56 pm
A future where you never have to charge your devices is closer than you’d think. Matrix’s PowerWatch 2 doesn’t come with a charging dock like most traditional smartwatches… that’s only because you, th... […]
- Solar Thermal Market Astonishing Growth| Abengoa, ACCIONA, Bosch on March 1, 2019 at 1:03 pm
Solar thermal energy concentrates sun rays on a heat transfer fluid to produce steam. This steam is then converted into mechanical energy in a turbine that turns a generator to produce electricity. It ... […]
via Bing News