Trick your tongue into thinking you’re having a much sweeter treat that isn’t nearly as bad for you.
Maybe you won’t actually have to give up your Twinkie habit to lose weight. New food technology makes ordinary sugar twice as sweet—so food tastes exactly the same with half the calories, and without the controversy of artificial sweeteners.
By coating tiny food-safe particles with natural sugar like sucrose or glucose, the technology can trick the sweetness receptors on your tongue into thinking you’re eating a full serving. The startup behind the idea compares it to drug delivery in pharmaceuticals.
“Drug delivery allows you to take less of an active material and ship it to where you need it. . . . You ship less of it and you create less damage along the way,” says Eran Baniel, CEO of the Israel-based startup, DouxMatok. “We do flavor delivery. You take less of the active material—the active material being sugar in this case. But you still use sugar.”
Depending on the food, the technology cuts sugar by 25% to 55%.
That means it’s also cheaper than a normal recipe. “If the coated particle were the same sweetness as sugar, it would be more expensive, obviously,” he says. “But what we sell is sweetness equivalence. If I’m twice as sweet as sugar you need only half as much in order to have the same sweet effect. So we are cheaper.”
The sugar-carrying particle is already a commonly used food additive, so it doesn’t require new safety testing. DouxMatok has already started testing it with manufacturers and plans to soon begin licensing the technology.
The Latest on: DouxMatok
via Google News
The Latest on: DouxMatok
- DouxMatok Is Piloting Its Sugar Product In Big Food (Radio)on June 25, 2019 at 7:08 am
Eran Baniel, CEO of DouxMatok, discusses their sugar reduction solution, which reduces the amount of sugar used up to 40% per serving. Hosted by Lisa Abramowicz and Paul Sweeney. Running time 06:49 ...
- DouxMatok backed by Südzucker and DSM in $22m funding roundon June 20, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Israeli sugar reduction company DouxMatok has raised $22 million in a Series B funding round, including investments from Südzucker and DSM. DouxMatok said the round, which was led by BlueRed Partners ...
- DouxMatok Raises $22M in Series B Fundingon June 20, 2019 at 6:51 am
DouxMatok, a Petach Tikva, Israel-based food-tech company, raised $22M in series B funding round. The round was led by BlueRed Partners with participation from Südzucker AG, Royal DSM, Singha Ventures ...
- Israeli food tech company DouxMatok rallies $22 mln Series Bon June 19, 2019 at 11:12 am
Copyright (c) Buyouts Insider/PEI Media LLC. Reproduction in any form is prohibited without written consent by Buyouts Insider/PEI Media LLC.
- Sugar... only sweeter? DouxMatok raises $22m in Series B, gears up for commercial launch in Q4, 2019on June 19, 2019 at 7:45 am
DouxMatok, the Israeli firm behind patented technology that makes sugar taste sweeter, has raised $22m in a Series B round led by BlueRed Partners from Singapore, and supported by sugar firm Südzucker ...
- New funding to boost DouxMatok sugar reduction systemon June 19, 2019 at 6:35 am
PETACH TiKVA, ISRAEL — DouxMatok has raised $22 million in a series B funding round that will enable large scale production and sales of its sugar reduction system to the food industry as it ...
- Sweet deal: Sugar-reduction startup raises $22 million to get product to marketon June 18, 2019 at 6:06 pm
DouxMatok, a Petah Tikva, Israel-based food-tech company that says it is able to cut sugar levels in foods without affecting their taste, said on Wednesday it had raised $22 million in a series B ...
- DouxMatok’s 40% reduced sugar allows for indulgence: ‘Sugar is not the new tobacco’on May 15, 2019 at 7:17 am
The Israeli start-up’s 40% reduced sugar allows for sweet indulgence without changing consumer behaviour, says CEO Eran Baniel. DouxMatok is just weeks away from launching its 40% reduced sugar on the ...
- Israeli Startup DouxMatok Uses Technology to Allow Food Producers to Reduce Sugaron November 18, 2018 at 11:00 am
PETAH TIKVA, Israel — Plates of cookies, chocolate bars and cakes still warm from the oven line the counter in the kitchen of the Israeli startup DouxMatok. The treats are the freshest example of the ...
- DouxMatok & Südzucker bring sugar tech to Europe: 'We want to be like Intel Inside, powering industry's sugar reduction,' says CEOon August 1, 2018 at 4:12 am
Israeli start-up DouxMatok has partnered with German sugar giant Südzucker to produce, market and sell its patented sugar-reducing technology to Europe. “When we looked for a sugar partner in Europe, ...
via Bing News