A patented passive cooling system for computer processors that’s undergoing optimization at The University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH) could save U.S. consumers more than $6.3 billion per year in energy costs associated with running their computer cooling fans.
Imagine what it could do if in global use.
The system, which was awarded $10,000 in 2014 UAH Charger Innovation Funds, uses convection to circulate 3M’s Fluorinert FC-72 liquid through channels in a computer’s processor and then into a heat sink that serves as an external radiator.
Its adoption could save computer manufacturers $540 million annually in manufacturing material costs by eliminating fans and associated wiring. Energy and materials savings are based on a future in which 300 million machines are in use in the U.S.
There’s an added global benefit to the reduction in electricity consumption, says Dr. James E. Smith Jr., a UAH chemical engineering professor emeritus who is working with graduate students to optimize the system.
“If you can do this for the world, we can save a whole lot of pollution globally,” Dr. Smith says. “Think of what could be done in China alone.”
The Latest on: Computer Cooling System
via Google News
The Latest on: Computer Cooling System
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Crosshair Viii Impact and Strix x570-I Gamingon September 16, 2019 at 12:51 am
Tiny systems do not usually offer a ton of cooling, but Strix X570-I Gaming manages to squeeze in an AIO pump header alongside the chassis-fan header. ROG Strix X570-I Gaming: DIY-friendly features ...
- Brain Genius Submerges His Bitcoin Mining Rig in a Giant Vat of Oilon September 15, 2019 at 10:32 am
At the core of most cryptocurrency networks are miners, the people who use specialized computer equipment to secure the cryptocurrency ... To address this problem, Limping-Zebra adapted an obscure ...
- The Ultimate Guide to Engine Data Management 800 Systemon September 14, 2019 at 1:07 pm
(MENAFN - Market Press) The Engine Data Management series 800 system manufactured by J.P ... 8.EGTs with stable 1°F resolution. 9.Shock cooling is monitored on every cylinder.
- Applying Cloud Techniques to Address Complexity in HPC System Integrationson September 13, 2019 at 8:23 am
To extract waste heat, a loop of water absorbs heat from the system and transfers it to the cooling plant. Every minute, about 3,300 gallons of room temperature water (about 71 degrees Fahrenheit or ...
- MAINGEAR Launches New Custom Engineered ELEMENT Gaming Notebook Featuring 9th Gen Intel Processor and NVIDIA® RTX™ Graphicson September 12, 2019 at 6:54 am
Fully optimized MAINGEAR REDLINE power and cooling profiles designed to intelligently ... PC World, Maximum PC, Computer Shopper, and more. Each MAINGEAR system is handcrafted for precision ...
- Reflect Scientific Introduces Liquid Nitrogen Cooling Technology to Booming Cannabis Marketon September 10, 2019 at 5:00 pm
proprietary technologies in cryogenic cooling for the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical, and transportation markets. Among Reflect Scientific's products are low temperature freezers and ...
- Ask the Experts Question: The best CPU air cooler in terms of balancing temperature and noise?on September 8, 2019 at 10:32 am
I want to know what the absolute best CPU air cooler is in terms of performance that balances both temperature and noise well. Hi Fawazilla, When it comes to air cooling, there are plenty of options.
- Best Computer Fans in 2019on September 5, 2019 at 11:00 am
With a wide variety of PC fans out there, how can you know which ones will keep your system nice and cool ... It's suitable for being used as both a CPU fan and a case fan as long as you don't mind ...
- Nubia Red Magic 3S to feature Air Cooling as well as Liquid Coolingon September 3, 2019 at 10:31 pm
The Snapdragon 855 Plus octa-core chipset upgrades the CPU and offers a clock speed of up to 2.96GHz ... As for the design, we expect the company to have an air cooling system and given that the phone ...
- Exploring Low Profile Cooling with the Scythe Big Shuriken 3on September 3, 2019 at 3:27 pm
As a result, they’ve gained a respectable foothold in the CPU cooling market with a number of air coolers ... Obviously, you’d never want to use one of these in a full-size system unless it was only ...
via Bing News