Japanese scientists have succeeded in transmitting energy wirelessly, in a key step that could one day make solar power generation in space a possibility, an official said Thursday.
Researchers used microwaves to deliver 1.8 kilowatts of power—enough to run an electric kettle—through the air with pinpoint accuracy to a receiver 55 metres (170 feet) away.
While the distance was not huge, the technology could pave the way for mankind to eventually tap the vast amount of solar energy available in space and use it here on Earth, a spokesman for The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said.
“This was the first time anyone has managed to send a high output of nearly two kilowatts of electric power via microwaves to a small target, using a delicate directivity control device,” he said.
JAXA has been working on devising Space Solar Power Systems for years, the spokesman said.
Solar power generation in space has many advantages over its Earth-based cousin, notably the permanent availability of energy, regardless of weather or time of day.
While man-made satellites, such as the International Space Station, have long since been able to use the solar energy that washes over them from the sun, getting that power down to Earth where people can use it has been the thing of science fiction.
But the Japanese research offers the possibility that humans will one day be able to farm an inexhaustible source of energy in space.
The idea, said the JAXA spokesman, would be for microwave-transmitting solar satellites—which would have sunlight-gathering panels and antennae—to be set up about 36,000 kilometres (22,300 miles) from the earth.
The Latest on: Wireless energy
via Google News
The Latest on: Wireless energy
- There's a rumor spreading that AirPods and other wireless headphones cause cancer, but the truth is more complicated on April 19, 2019 at 9:03 am
The radio waves of electric and magnetic energy that radiate from cellphones, radios, and other types of wireless technology, such as Bluetooth, are different from stronger types of radiation we're ... […]
- Wireless Charging Pad Market Worth Around 71.3 Billion USD by 2025: Accelerated CAGR 39.0% in Global Market on April 19, 2019 at 6:37 am
Our inventory of research reports caters to various industry verticals including Healthcare, Information and Communication Technology (ICT), Technology and Media, Chemicals, Materials, Energy, Heavy ... […]
- Is It Safe to Leave My Smartphone on My Wireless Charger? on April 19, 2019 at 6:07 am
As for wireless charging, I confess ... published last year: “Electrical energy is changed into chemical energy during charging and the reverse happens during discharge,” Dr. Daniel Abraham ... […]
- Wireless Battery Monitoring System Market: Key Players - Ashwoods Energy Limited, Toshiba Corporation, L&T Technology Services Ltd & Others on April 19, 2019 at 6:03 am
Valley Cottage, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 04/19/2019 -- In past few years, wireless battery monitoring market has witnessed significant growth rate, and it can be assumed that the organization is still in its ... […]
- FCC Invites Comments on Waiver Request for 24 GHz Wireless Power Device: on April 18, 2019 at 6:30 pm
On January 3, Auspion requested a waiver of FCC rules to allow it to obtain a grant of equipment authorization for the marketing and operation of a non-consumer system using transmission of wireless ... […]
- Wireless Electric Vehicle Charging Market to Reach $1.4 Bn, Globally, by 2025 at 22.4% CAGR: Allied Market Research on April 17, 2019 at 3:15 am
Increase in sales of electric vehicles and growing demand for energy-efficient sources have fueled the growth of global Wireless electric vehicle charging market. On the other hand, expensive ... […]
- Wireless Broadband Alliance and Mettis Aerospace Announce World’s First Wi-Fi 6 Industrial Enterprise & IoT Trial on April 17, 2019 at 12:21 am
real time energy monitoring; ultra-reliable low latency communications with sensors on critical systems and augmented reality for trouble shooting. Founded in 2003, the mission of the Wireless ... […]
- Wireless Smart Lighting Controls Market Size 2019 Global Industry Share, Growth, Trend, Demand, Top Players, Opportunities and Forecast to 2024 on April 16, 2019 at 11:06 am
or comply with green building and energy conservation programs. The term wireless smart lighting controls is typically used to indicate stand-alone control of the lighting within a space. This may ... […]
- Wireless Charging Market Value Estimated to Exceed US$ 25.8 Billion by 2024 on April 16, 2019 at 2:37 am
Wireless charging is the process of charging battery-operated appliances without plugging them to a live power source. It operates on the principle of electromagnetic induction which constitutes a ... […]
- TeleSense Wireless Grain Monitoring Company Acquires Webstech on April 15, 2019 at 9:39 am
“Spoilage and energy optimization in drying grain continue to be multibillion ... continuously monitors temperature and humidity via portable and fixed wireless sensors to provide a real-time, ... […]
via Bing News