Cells could be exploited to treat osteoarthritis and osteoporosis
A stem cell capable of regenerating both bone and cartilage has been identified in bone marrow of mice. The discovery by researchers at Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) is reported today in the online issue of the journal Cell.
The cells, called osteochondroreticular (OCR) stem cells, were discovered by tracking a protein expressed by the cells. Using this marker, the researchers found that OCR cells self-renew and generate key bone and cartilage cells, including osteoblasts and chondrocytes. Researchers also showed that OCR stem cells, when transplanted to a fracture site, contribute to bone repair.
“We are now trying to figure out whether we can persuade these cells to specifically regenerate after injury. If you make a fracture in the mouse, these cells will come alive again, generate both bone and cartilage in the mouse—and repair the fracture. The question is, could this happen in humans,” says Siddhartha Mukherjee, MD, PhD, assistant professor of medicine at CUMC and a senior author of the study.
The researchers believe that OCR stem cells will be found in human bone tissue, as mice and humans have similar bone biology. Further study could provide greater understanding of how to prevent and treat osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, or bone fractures.
“Our findings raise the possibility that drugs or other therapies can be developed to stimulate the production of OCR stem cells and improve the body’s ability to repair bone injury—a process that declines significantly in old age,” says Timothy C. Wang, MD, the Dorothy L. and Daniel H. Silberberg Professor of Medicine at CUMC, who initiated this research. Previously, Dr. Wang found an analogous stem cell in the intestinal tract and observed that it was also abundant in the bone.
The Latest on: Bone stem cells
via Google News
The Latest on: Bone stem cells
- Stem Cell Therapy in Las Vegas Offered By Ageless Forever on April 24, 2019 at 5:15 pm
Stem cells known as Mesenchymal stem cells are harvested from the placenta that is crucial for repairing skeletal tissues like cartilage, bone, and fat found in the bone marrow are administered to ... […]
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Increase Alveolar Differentiation in Lung Progenitor Organoid Cultures on April 23, 2019 at 2:23 am
Other organ systems have shown similar stimulation of stem cell functions by MSC. Bone marrow derived MSC have been shown to stimulate cardiac stem cell proliferation and differentiation 22. ... […]
- How The Field Of Orthopedics Is Reaping The Benefits Of Stem Cell Treatment on April 23, 2019 at 2:01 am
Stem cells are commonly taken from a patient's bone marrow and then injected into a targeted area to help heal an injury or repair damaged tissue. At Movement Orthopedics, Dr. Jeffrey Carroll ... […]
- Researchers define role of rare, influential cells in the bone marrow on April 23, 2019 at 12:32 am
Most were identified as cells that line blood vessels (i.e., vascular endothelial cells) or stem cells (mesenchymal cells) that make up bone (osteoblasts). Still, the function of other rare cells ... […]
- Scientists define the role for a rare, influential set of bone marrow cells on April 22, 2019 at 11:43 pm
or stem cells (mesenchymal cells) that make up bone (osteoblasts). Still, the function of other rare cells types remained unknown. To better understand them, the team treated these remaining cells ... […]
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Growth Factors 2019 Industry Size, Share with Future Trend , Business Opportunities by 2023 on April 22, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Stem cell manufacturing is a process in which cells from the bone marrow or peripheral blood cells are isolated and cultured in a culture dish containing nutrient media. Rising stem cell related ... […]
- Hematopoietic Stem Cells Transplantation (HSCT) 2019 Global Market Outlook,Research,Trends and Forecast to 2023 on April 22, 2019 at 7:42 am
Researchers have yet to evolve an accurate method to differentiate stem cells from other cells derived from blood or bone marrow. Once such technical barriers are overcome, the avenues for realizing ... […]
- Careful, stem cell therapy unproven on April 19, 2019 at 10:00 pm
Stem cells from bone marrow also are routinely used to treat patients with cancer or other disorders of the blood or immune system, and this treatment also has FDA approval. It is important to note ... […]
- The Lifesaving Power in Stem Cells on April 18, 2019 at 6:35 am
Stem cell treatments have been in the news lately because some companies ... Cord blood is easier to collect than bone marrow, generates less life-threatening graft-versus-host disease, and can be ... […]
- Could this Peninsula company's stem cell treatment fix traumatic brain injuries? on April 16, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Modified stem cells taken from bone marrow in adult hips and injected in people with traumatic brain injury helped those patients do things like walk and move their arms again, according to the ... […]
via Bing News