To halt climate change, the world desperately needs advances in clean energy. But in recent years, Silicon Valley, the nation’s engine for technical innovation, has turned its back on investments in the field.
Now, even as the world grows hotter, young scientists with fresh ideas about energy technology are finding it increasingly difficult to find venture capital to get them off the ground.
“The V.C. model isn’t working,” said Horst Simon, the deputy director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.
But scientists at the lab may have found a better way to support entrepreneurial scientists who once depended on venture capital.
Clean energy investments were briefly a fad among Silicon Valley venture capital firms, peaking in the second quarter of 2010 at more than $820 million. But V.C.s soon learned that investing in unproven “hard” energy technologies was not as quickly lucrative as backing social networking and smartphone apps. By the third quarter of last year, venture investment in industrial energy technologies had declined to $209 million.
Many clean energy technologies require prolonged support to grow, Curt Carlson, a physicist and former president of SRI International, said, adding: “V.C.s hate that. They want to put in a slug of money and then have it scale itself, without having to put in a billion dollars.”
Solyndra, a promising maker of solar panels, was a spectacular failure, driven into bankruptcy in 2013 by Chinese competition after obtaining $536 million in Department of Energy loan guarantees. But it was hardly the only flameout: The valley’s venture capitalists backed a disappointing array of energy start-ups, including battery makers A123 and Ener1, Fisker Automotive, and Abound Solar, a maker of thin-film solar panels.
As interest cooled among V.C.s, energy entrepreneurs struggled to find support for ambitious ideas. Ilan Gur, a materials scientist at Lawrence Berkeley and veteran of several clean energy start-ups, observed the experience of two Stanford physics graduate students with a new idea for more efficient solar technology.
“They got laughed out of every V.C. on Sand Hill Road,” he said. “People told them: ‘Are you crazy? An early-stage materials investment in solar?’ ”
Read more: An Incubator for Innovation
The Latest on: Innovation incubator
via Google News
The Latest on: Innovation incubator
- YDX Innovation’s Purple Mage Signs with Level Six to Provide Data Analytics Services to the Esports Incubator.on October 11, 2020 at 1:20 am
VANCOUVER, BC / ACCESSWIRE / September 22, 2020 / YDX Innovation Corp. (TSXV:YDX)(OTC PINK:YDRMF)(FSE:A2PB03) ("YDX" or the ...
- American Ballet Theatre Appoints Jose Sebastian as New Director of ABT Incubatoron October 9, 2020 at 11:03 am
American Ballet Theatre has appointed ABT dancer Jose Sebastian as the new director of ABT Incubator, ABT's annual choreographic workshop. Sebastian succeeds ABT Principal Dancer David Hallberg, who ...
- Cyril Amarchand’s Legal Tech Incubator Issues Public Challenge for Second Cohorton October 8, 2020 at 8:21 pm
The overarching theme for the second cohort centers around COVID-19 and focuses on resolving issues created by the pandemic.
- Does the Capital Region need a tech incubator? Rensselaer's entrepreneurship director says noon October 7, 2020 at 3:14 am
Jason Kuruzovich, director of the Severino Center for Technological Entrepreneurship at Rensselaer: "I think the days of the physical incubator really mattering — if they weren't dead before Covid, ...
- Thailand's Eastern Economic Corridor to Become Post-COVID Global Food Innovation Hubon October 5, 2020 at 9:18 pm
Thailand's high-tech Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC), already positioning itself as the gateway to Asia, is aiming for a new post-COVID-19 role as incubator of innovative food products to nourish the ...
- Dubai launches new business incubator to support British SMEson October 4, 2020 at 7:34 am
Dubai SME, through its Hamdan Innovation Incubator, introduced an accreditation programme for incubators and business accelerators to provide the opportunity to expand investments in entrepreneurial ...
- VLX start-up incubator offers bug-eyed, ice-cool technology innovationon October 1, 2020 at 9:23 pm
More investments in hi-tech are needed as the start-up nation is currently going through “the quiet before the storm” as the COVID-19 world recession is reshaping the global economy.
- BaseLaunch announces that Johnson & Johnson Innovation has renewed its commitment becoming latest strategic partner in the second phaseon September 29, 2020 at 7:28 pm
BaseLaunch, the Basel Area-based biotech venture accelerator and incubator, today announces their renewed strategic partnership with Cilag GmbH International, one of the pharmaceutical companies of ...
- Agtech incubator at Innovation Campus gets $600,000 granton September 29, 2020 at 1:00 pm
An incubator program for agricultural startups that's based at Nebraska Innovation Campus has received a $600,000 grant from the federal government. U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross announced ...
- Delaware Innovation Space Makes $265,000 in First Fund Investmentson September 29, 2020 at 6:13 am
Delaware Innovation Space, a multi-dimensional, non-profit incubator and accelerator for science-based start-up companies, announced today that it has invested a total of $265,000 in three companies, ...
via Bing News