Rice University scientists create dual-purpose film for energy storage, hydrogen catalysis
Rice University scientists who want to gain an edge in energy production and storage report they have found it in molybdenum disulfide.
The Rice lab of chemist James Tour has turned molybdenum disulfide’s two-dimensional form into a nanoporous film that can catalyze the production of hydrogen or be used for energy storage.
The versatile chemical compound classified as a dichalcogenide is inert along its flat sides, but previous studies determined the material’s edges are highly efficient catalysts for hydrogen evolution reaction (HER), a process used in fuel cells to pull hydrogen from water.
Tour and his colleagues have found a cost-effective way to create flexible films of the material that maximize the amount of exposed edge and have potential for a variety of energy-oriented applications.
The films can also serve as supercapacitors, which store energy quickly as static charge and release it in a burst. Though they don’t store as much energy as an electrochemical battery, they have long lifespans and are in wide use because they can deliver far more power than a battery. The Rice lab built supercapacitors with the films; in tests, they retained 90 percent of their capacity after 10,000 charge-discharge cycles and 83 percent after 20,000 cycles.
“We see anodization as a route to materials for multiple platforms in the next generation of alternative energy devices,” Tour said. “These could be fuel cells, supercapacitors and batteries. And we’ve demonstrated two of those three are possible with this new material.”
The Latest on: Alternative energy devices
via Google News
The Latest on: Alternative energy devices
- The Energy 202: California utilities’ planned blackouts this wildfire season prompt residents to adopt solar power on May 24, 2019 at 5:10 am
What about elderly residents who rely on powered medical devices? Chris Canning ... He is also calling for a fivefold increase in the Department Energy Department's alternative energy research and for ... […]
- Permanent Magnet Market: Hangzhou Group, TDK Corporation, Adams Magnetic Products, Arnold Magnetic Technologies, and Electron Energy Corp on May 24, 2019 at 4:53 am
With increasing population and depleting natural energy resources, wind energy has emerged as a dependable renewable energy source. This factors is expected to positively reflect on the global the ... […]
- CENTRI Technology, Atonomi and Swytch Renew Year-Long Partnership to Deploy Blockchain-Based Tools in IoT Data Collection and Device Security on May 23, 2019 at 8:35 am
Atonomi security software validates immutable device identity as well as enables ... that have resulted in inadequate adoption of renewable energy assets and sustainability programs. ... […]
- Toyoda Gosei Develops Vertical GaN Power Device With Current Operation of 100 Amperes on May 22, 2019 at 9:01 pm
The spread of electrified vehicles and renewable energy has been increasing the demand for power devices with higher performance. With the silicon used in conventional devices, however, it is ... […]
- Susan Collins unveils $300M energy storage bill to combat climate change on May 22, 2019 at 5:50 pm
“Next-generation energy storage devices will help enhance the efficiency and reliability of our electric grid, reduce energy costs, and promote the adoption of renewable resources,” said Collins, ... […]
- Nations Around the Globe Shift to Renewable Energy in Order to Meet Clean Energy Initiatives on May 22, 2019 at 6:41 am
NEW YORK, May 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Most non-renewable energy sources come from fossil fuels ... The collected sunlight can power anything from small applications like a mobile device to larger ... […]
- Clear Blue Technologies Launches Energy-as-a-Service for Wireless Power on May 22, 2019 at 6:00 am
devices. Energy-as-a-Service is a fast-growing business model within the power industry. This innovative alternative to traditional, capital-intensive energy acquisition enables commercial and ... […]
- Making the smart meter social promotes long-term energy conservation on May 21, 2019 at 6:06 am
As an alternative, recent studies have shown the effectiveness ... create three distinct custom-coded in-home displays (IHDs; Fig. 1). Each device communicated near real-time energy use information ... […]
- Green batteries? Renewable energy storage will cost nature on May 20, 2019 at 8:39 am
Other renewable devices also use copper and aluminum. Related: Renewable energy surpasses coal for the first time in U.S. history Metal mining is largely unsustainable and there is currently no ... […]
- Energy Initiative on Home Internet Devices Named Environmental Leader’s Project of the Year on May 16, 2019 at 9:45 am
The judges cited the initiative’s successful results and establishment of an effective alternative to traditional ... all of the companies – device manufacturers and service providers – that have made ... […]
via Bing News