Study shows electrodialysis can provide cost-effective treatment of salty water from fracked wells.
The boom in oil and gas produced through hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, is seen as a boon for meeting U.S. energy needs. But one byproduct of the process is millions of gallons of water that’s much saltier than seawater, after leaching salts from rocks deep below the surface.
Now researchers at MIT and in Saudi Arabia say they have found an economical solution for removing the salt from this water. The new analysis appears this week in the journal Applied Energy, in a paper co-authored by MIT professor John Lienhard, postdoc Ronan McGovern, and four others.
The method they propose for treating the “produced water” that flows from oil and gas wells throughout their operation is one that has been known for decades, but had not been considered a viable candidate for extremely high-salinity water, such as that produced from oil and gas wells. The technology, electrodialysis, “has been around for at least 50 years,” says Lienhard, the Abdul Latif Jameel Professor of Water and Food as well as director of the Center for Clean Water and Clean Energy at MIT and King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM).
The research team also included graduate student Adam Weiner, graduate student Lige Sun, and undergraduate Chester Chambers at MIT, and Professor Syed Zubair at KFUPM.
“Electrodialysis is generally thought of as being advantageous for relatively low-salinity water,” Lienhard says — such as the brackish, shallow groundwater found in many locations, generally with salinity around one-tenth that of seawater. But electrodialysis also turns out to be economically viable at the other end of the salinity spectrum, the new analysis shows.
The Latest on: Fracking
via Google News
The Latest on: Fracking
- Warren raises 2020 stakes by vowing to ban fracking 'everywhere' on first day as presidenton September 7, 2019 at 4:48 pm
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts Democrat, said Friday she would immediately ban fracking if elected president, drawing pushback from critics who said the move would cripple the U.S. oil-and-gas ...
- Why A Ban On Fracking Will Never Happenon September 7, 2019 at 6:02 am
It's primary season, which generally means Democratic candidates for President are trying to see who can swing farthest Left. This is especially true when it comes to punishing the oil and gas ...
- Kamala Harris Pledged To Halt Fracking. Her Foreign Policy Advisor Wants The Opposite.on September 6, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Flournoy called for unleashing U.S. fossil fuel production as part of a “bold and bipartisan international economic agenda” dedicated to maintaining the United States’ superpower status.
- Julian Castro: Fracking to be phased out in favor of renewableson September 6, 2019 at 3:11 am
Presidential candidate and former San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro said he wants hydraulic fracturing to be phased out as part of climate plan that calls for the United States to get all its power from ...
- Julián Castro Defends Record on Fracking at Climate Forumon September 5, 2019 at 5:33 pm
Julián Castro, the first 2020 Democratic presidential candidate at the CNN climate town hall, set the tone early in the night by giving a shout out to Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington, the self-professed ...
- $8 gas prices possible with no fracking, energy expert sayson September 5, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Center of Energy & Environment Director Myron Ebell says the climate change initiatives proposed by the 2020 Democratic presidential contenders may lead to consumers paying thousands of dollars more ...
- Biden says he wouldn't ban fracking, distancing himself from rivalson September 4, 2019 at 6:05 pm
Joe Biden said he would not ban the practice of fracking for natural gas, distancing himself from some of his Democratic rivals, but said he would evaluate existing fracking permits to determine their ...
- Amy Klobuchar pushes back on Democratic calls for banning fracking, says natural gas 'will exist for a while'on September 4, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar pushed back Wednesday on the position of Democratic rivals who want to ban the practice of fracking for natural gas, saying the fossil fuel will "still exist for a ...
- Understanding the link between fracking and earthquakeson September 4, 2019 at 6:21 am
Researchers studying hydraulic fracturing have answered a longstanding question over how the practice can sometimes cause moderate earthquakes and may be able to use their model to forecast when ...
- Terrawatch: warnings fail to prevent UK fracking quakeson September 3, 2019 at 1:30 pm
In theory, the chances of your house being shaken by a fracking-related earthquake are incredibly slim. In the UK, a traffic-light system is designed to minimise the risk of larger quakes occurring, ...
via Bing News