Venice’s response to the plague an “example of resilience management,” say experts
The way in which the Italian city of Venice dealt with the outbreak of the plague in the fourteenth century holds lessons on how to even mitigate the consequences of today’s emerging threats, like climate change, terrorism and highly infectious or drug-resistant diseases. So says Dr. Igor Linkov of the US Army Engineer Research and Development Center, and a visiting professor of the Ca Foscari University in Italy. Linkov led an article on resilience management appearing in Springer’s journal Environment Systems and Decisions.
Venice was the hub of many trade routes into central Europe, and in 1347 became the epicenter of a plague epidemic. While Venetians initially attempted to mitigate what they believed to be the threat—God, vampires, etc.—by enacting traditional risk management like prayer and rituals, they eventually began to utilize what we would now call resilience management.
Instead of trying to target a poorly understood risk, state authorities focused on managing physical movement, social interactions, and data collection for the city as a system.
The Latest on: Resilience management
via Google News
The Latest on: Resilience management
- Holding the Frontline During COVID-19: 2020 Heart of Case Management Awardson October 12, 2020 at 4:22 am
Genex Services recognizes the case managers chosen as winners of its 5th annual Heart of Case Management Awards.
- TCS launches ten new threat management centers to provide cyber security services to customerson October 12, 2020 at 12:10 am
TCS has operationalized 10 new Threat Management Centers, at Bloomington, Manchester, Madrid, as well as at major Indian cities, in the last four months ...
- HP govt to launch awareness drive on disaster resilienceon October 11, 2020 at 1:23 am
The Himachal Pradesh government will start a programme for creating awareness about disaster reduction and resilience in communities across the state from 12 October. A HP State Disaster Management ...
- Learn Best Practices for Promoting Healthcare Worker Well-Being and Resilienceon October 9, 2020 at 9:06 am
The second annual summit on healthcare professional well-being and resilience will include a presentation by the U.S. surgeon general.
- The Link Between Climate Finance and Building Resilience after COVID-19on October 9, 2020 at 7:05 am
The people most vulnerable to COVID-19 are the same citizens that are most vulnerable to the climate crisis; the financial sector should pivot accordingly.
- Building seismic resilience in Pakistan: 15 years after the 2005 earthquakeon October 9, 2020 at 2:39 am
Since the 2005 earthquake, Pakistan has developed legal, policy, and institutional frameworks for Disaster Risk Management. Seismic risks, however, have only increased.
- TCS Launches State-of-the-art Threat Management Centers Across the World to Protect Customers from Cyber Attackson October 8, 2020 at 10:20 am
PRNewswire/ -- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) (BSE: 532540, NSE: TCS), a leading global IT services, consulting and business solutions organization, announced the launch of 10 new Threat Management ...
- National Case Management Week 2020: CCMC celebrates resilience, renews commitment to workforce developmenton October 8, 2020 at 9:22 am
The Commission for Case Manager Certification ® is approaching National Case Management Week (Oct. 11-17) with a profound sense of gratitude. "This year we are focusing on resilience, something case ...
- Summer 2020 HSI work: GAs completing UD’s resilience assessment for Second Nature climate commitmenton October 7, 2020 at 8:43 am
Hanley Sustainability Institute graduate assistants Lauren Wolford and Meg Maloney are leading the University of Dayton’s resilience assessment as part of UD’s Second Nature climate commitment to plan ...
- Workforce Strategy Experts Reveal How Resilience Solves Big Workforce Problems at Free Virtual Conference on Oct. 21on October 7, 2020 at 7:12 am
To help businesses solve big workforce problems and make a positive impact on their most important asset -- their people - leading workforce experts ...
via Bing News