Scientists at The University of Nottingham have developed a new substance which could simplify the manufacture of cell therapy in the pioneering world of regenerative medicine.
Cell therapy is an exciting and rapidly developing area of medicine in which stem cells have the potential to repair human tissue and maintain organ function in chronic disease and age-related illnesses. But a major problem with translating current successful research into actual products and treatments is how to mass-produce such a complex living material.
There are two distinct phases in the production of stem cell products; proliferation (making enough cells to form large tissue) and differentiation (turning the basic stem cells into functional cells). The material environment required for these two phases are different and up to now a single substance that does both jobs has not been available.
Now a multi-disciplinary team of researchers at Nottingham has created a new stem cell micro-environment which they have found has allowed both the self-renewal of cells and then their evolution into cardiomyocyte (heart) cells. The material is a hydrogel containing two polymers – an alginate-rich environment which allows proliferation of cells with a simple chemical switch to render the environment collagen-rich when the cell population is large enough. This change triggers the next stage of cell growth when cells develop a specific purpose.
Professor of Advanced Drug Delivery and Tissue Engineering, Kevin Shakesheff, said:
“Our new combination of hydrogels is a first. It allows dense tissue structures to be produced from human pluripotent stem cells (HPSC) in a single step process never achieved before. The discovery has important implications for the future of manufacturing in regenerative medicine. This field of healthcare is a major priority for the UK and we are seeing increasing investment in future manufacturing processes to ensure we are ready to deliver real treatments to patients when HPSC products and treatments go to trial and become standard.”
The Latest on: Stem cell manufacturing
via Google News
The Latest on: MStem cell manufacturing
- Birk Manufacturing to Exhibit Thermal Solutions at The Battery Show 2019 in Novi, MIon September 7, 2019 at 7:00 am
Birk Manufacturing specializes in the design and ... These heating elements are custom engineered to fit battery cells and meet their thermal and voltage requirements. The lightweight and durable ...
- Validation and assessment of an antibiotic-based, aseptic decontamination manufacturing protocol for therapeutic, vacuum-dried human amniotic membraneon September 6, 2019 at 2:13 am
However, the toxic side-effects of antibiotics can be harmful to epithelial cells of the cornea 2,3 ... staff being an additional source of contamination 20. Therefore, any manufacturing process must ...
- Tesla confirms battery cell manufacturing in job listing, also new location in Colorado?on September 4, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Now we have confirmation from Tesla that they are working on a manufacturing line for battery cells in the form of a job listing. Tesla has listed a job for a “manufacturing technician” in ...
- Plug Power expanding its manufacturing center in Rochesteron September 4, 2019 at 12:48 pm
By manufacturing this membrane technology in-house instead of ... The technology will also make the fuel cells more efficient, allowing Plug to move into new markets like on-road delivery vehicles and ...
- Small Cells Market 2019 Global Size, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2025on September 4, 2019 at 4:16 am
For each manufacturer covered, this report analyzes their Small Cells manufacturing sites, capacity, production, ex-factory price, revenue and market share in global market. Segment by Regions North ...
- Celyad Successfully Doses First Patient with CYAD-01 Produced with OptimAb Manufacturing Processon September 3, 2019 at 10:00 pm
... on OptimAb Manufacturing Process The OptimAb manufacturing process utilizes a shortened cell culture and incorporates a selective PI3K inhibitor. This results in a product that is enriched for T ...
- CONSUMER CATCH-UP: Prep for phones before Hurricane Dorian, stem cell therapy company warned by FDA, and 24,000 pounds of beef recalledon September 3, 2019 at 3:00 pm
Stemell, Inc. of San Juan Capistrano, was cited for deviating from FDA standards when it came to collecting and manufacturing their stem cell therapy products, StemL UCB-Plus and StemL UCT-Plus.
- Stem Cells: FDA Warns Company for Selling Unapproved Products, Puts Others on Noticeon September 3, 2019 at 1:23 pm
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) last week warned San Juan Capistrano, CA based stem cell clinic Stemell, Inc over its sale of unapproved umbilical cord products and for good tissue practice ...
- Stem cell manufacturing with Peter Zandstraon September 2, 2019 at 5:00 am
We speak to Peter Zandstra (University of British Columbia; BC, Canada) about stem cell manufacturing and therapeutics. We then delve into his current research and the techniques he uses to study ...
- Organ-on-a-Chip and Stem-Cell Methods Combined to Make New Tool for Diabetes Researchon August 30, 2019 at 7:37 am
The design also uses materials that are amenable to larger-scale manufacturing, which means more people will be able to use it.” “The Islet-on-a-Chip lets us monitor how donated or manufactured islet ...
via Bing News