Bitcoin exchanges in India are shutting down days after the country’s banking regulator warned users of virtual currency against security and financial risks associated with them.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had remained silent on Bitcoin over the past few weeks, even as China started clamping down on the exchanges, sending the virtual currency into a downward spin earlier this month.
A week after India’s small but growing Bitcoin community organized its first conference, and made an appeal to the country’s banking regulators for recognizing the virtual currency, the RBI said the Bitcoin users have not obtained any regulatory approvals yet, which poses several risks to anybody associated with them. This is what the RBI said:
There have been several media reports of the usage of VCs, including Bitcoins, for illicit and illegal activities in several jurisdictions. The absence of information of counterparties in such peer-to-peer anonymous/ pseudonymous systems could subject the users to unintentional breaches of anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws
However, the wording of the announcement from RBI leaves a question mark over the legality of not just the exchanges but also of the people who trade on them.
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
via Google News
The Latest on: Bitcoin Exchanges
- Cryptocurrencies Price Prediction: Bitcoin, Monero & Uniswap – Asian Wrap 13 Octon October 12, 2020 at 8:49 pm
Despite this strong upward movement, the price has currently faced rejection at the $11,700 resistance level. Monero is currently in the middle of a bullish rally and has reached its highest levels ...
- Bitcoin decouples from legacy markets as ‘breathtaking’ rally predictedon October 12, 2020 at 6:59 pm
Kraken has identified a decreasing correlation between Bitcoin and the legacy financial markets. A report published by major U.S.-based crypto exchange Kraken has identified signs the correlation ...
- Former Facebook Exec: Bitcoin Is An ‘Insurance Policy’ Against The Fedon October 12, 2020 at 3:29 pm
Former Facebook executive-turned venture capitalist, Chamath Palihapitiya, has warned neither Biden nor Trump will help U.S. dollar—but holding bitcoin is an "insurance policy" that helps him to ...
- Market Wrap: Bitcoin Bumps Close to $11.6K; Ether Options Open Interest Dipson October 12, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Bitcoin bounced close to $11,600 before retreating a bit while ether options traders are less active than they were in September. Bitcoin (BTC) trading around $11,552 as of 20:00 UTC (4 p.m. ET).
- The Silk Road Balance Sheet Discrepancy: Bitcoin Worth $4.8 Billion Still Missingon October 12, 2020 at 12:34 pm
The original Silk Road marketplace has been shut down for well over seven years now and to this day, 444,000 BTC is still missing.
- Blockchain Bites: Bitcoin on Ethereum – The Whos, Whats and Whyson October 12, 2020 at 10:29 am
Since January, overÃÂ $1.5 billion ÃÂ worth ofÃÂ bitcoin ÃÂ has been tokenized into ERC-20 tokens to use in the emerging decentralized finance (DeFi) ecosystem on Ethereum. These DeFi applications ...
- Bitcoin Hits $11,400: What's The Next Price Target?on October 12, 2020 at 12:10 am
Bitcoin broke out of the $10,000 level and analysts observe whether the new support level will be maintained at $11,000.
- Buying Bitcoin Locally vs Online: Which Bitcoin of America Method is Best for You?on October 10, 2020 at 6:39 am
With a second stimulus check due, now is the time to start thinking of your financial future, with the opportunity to buy bitcoin at a time when many people are predicting its continued rise in its ...
- ‘High Risk’ Warning: A Major Bitcoin Exchange Is In Even Worse Trouble Than Thoughton October 6, 2020 at 11:01 pm
The bitcoin and cryptocurrency world was rocked last week by news U.S. authorities had levied charges against major bitcoin and crypto exchange BitMEX and its leadership team. BitMEX executives ...
- Bitcoin derivatives exchange Bitnomial raises $11.6 million from investors, per filingon October 6, 2020 at 10:03 am
Bitcoin derivatives marketplace Bitnomial has raised $11.6 million from investors, according to a new public filing.The post Bitcoin derivatives exchange Bitnomial raises $11.6 million from investors, ...
via Bing News