An unmanned, fly-by-wire F-16 should be quite capable of performing maneuvers at 9Gs
Boeing has announced that it has retrofitted a number of retired Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter jets with equipment enabling them to be flown remotely without a pilot. In conjunction with the US Air Force, the company recently flew one of these unmanned jets, performing combat maneuvers and a perfect center line landing.
The converted F-16, one of many that had been “mothballed” for 15 years at a site in Arizona, was controlled remotely by two US Air Force pilots located at a ground control facility. During the test flight, the plane cruised at 40,000 ft (12,200 m) and reached speeds of Mach 1.47. It then performed a series of maneuvers, including barrel rolls and a “split S” (where the pilot rolls his aircraft upside down and flies a descending half-loop, achieving level flight in the opposite direction at a lower altitude).
The unmanned jet took off from a base in Florida and flew to the Gulf of Mexico, and was trailed at all times by two chase planes monitoring its course. “It flew great, everything worked great, [it] made a beautiful landing – probably one of the best landings I’ve ever seen,” said the project’s chief engineer Paul Cejas. Should the need have arisen however, the F-16 was equipped with a ground-operated self-destruct mechanism.
One of the major advantages of not having a pilot on-board a jet fighter, is the ability to stress the plane to higher limits without fear of losing human life. During this flight however, the aircraft was only tested at 7Gs of acceleration even though an unmanned, fly-by-wire F-16 should be quite capable of performing maneuvers at 9Gs.
The Latest on: Fighter jet into an unmanned drone
- How IAF jets tracked an unmanned Pakistan drone on April 1, 2019 at 10:11 pm
Last month, a UAV which intruded into Rajasthan's Ganganagar was shot down by the Army. Also last month, a Sukhoi-30 fighter jet of the IAF shot down a Pakistani military drone in Bikaner sector of ... […]
- The Air Force's New AI Is Like R2-D2 for Fighter Jets on March 19, 2019 at 4:54 pm
performed in the iconic two-seat fighter jet. The second system is an AI that would fly an unmanned vehicle, such as Boeing’s Loyal Wingman or Kratos Defense’s XQ-58A Valkyrie. According to C4ISRNET, ... […]
- The USAF’s new combat drone is an A.I. fighter jet that flies itself on March 11, 2019 at 4:03 pm
The U.S. Air Force last week completed the first test flight of its new stealth fighter drone ... unmanned air vehicle with a range over 2,000 miles and flight speeds up to 652 miles per hour. It can ... […]
- Air Force completes first flight test of Valkyrie unmanned fighter jet on March 6, 2019 at 4:58 pm
And it has been trying to break into the much larger military fighter jet market that is dominated by Lockheed ... is established as the world leader in the high performance unmanned aerial drone ... […]
- US Air Force tests experimental XQ-58A Valkyrie unmanned fighter jet for ‘loyal wingman’ air warfare role on March 4, 2019 at 4:00 pm
The flight test is a major step forward for an experimental “loyal wingman” concept that envisions small robotic drones accompanying fighter jets into combat ... the world leader in the high ... […]
- Iran's Newest 'Homemade' Drone Is An Unmanned Conversion Of A 1940s American Jet Trainer on February 1, 2019 at 11:41 am
The Islamic Republic of Iran has a long history of copying U.S.-made aircraft ... training fighter pilots and air defense personnel. This would actually be in line with what the U.S. Navy did with ... […]
- China just showed it has a new 'Dark Sword' fighter jet — and it's a nightmare for the US on June 5, 2018 at 8:45 am
China released images of a new, unmanned, stealth-fighter-style jet, and they present a shocking look into how close Beijing has come to unseating the US as the dominant military air power. An expert ... […]
- US Drone Maker Cleared to Export Jet Powered Combat Drones on March 15, 2018 at 1:17 am
Kratos UTAP-22 Mako provides fighter-like ... maneuverable unmanned aircraft, capable of carrying and operating weapons and advanced sensor systems, which has flown in multiple large-scale military ... […]
- Robotic Fighter Jets Fly Into Mock Combat on May 17, 2017 at 7:08 am
"The F-16 is a fourth-generation fighter, and pair it with an F-35, a fifth-generation battle network node, and have those two operating together." The unmanned jet could haul ... to develop old F-16s ... […]
- The US Air Force Is Making Drones From Recycled Fighter Jets on April 12, 2017 at 4:51 am
Not the US Air Force, apparently, which has managed to successfully morph an F-16 fighter jet into a combat-capable drone by cramming autonomous battle ... using AI to help it act as a "surrogate" ... […]
via Google News and Bing News