An unmanned, fly-by-wire F-16 should be quite capable of performing maneuvers at 9Gs
Boeing has announced that it has retrofitted a number of retired Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter jets with equipment enabling them to be flown remotely without a pilot. In conjunction with the US Air Force, the company recently flew one of these unmanned jets, performing combat maneuvers and a perfect center line landing.
The converted F-16, one of many that had been “mothballed” for 15 years at a site in Arizona, was controlled remotely by two US Air Force pilots located at a ground control facility. During the test flight, the plane cruised at 40,000 ft (12,200 m) and reached speeds of Mach 1.47. It then performed a series of maneuvers, including barrel rolls and a “split S” (where the pilot rolls his aircraft upside down and flies a descending half-loop, achieving level flight in the opposite direction at a lower altitude).
The unmanned jet took off from a base in Florida and flew to the Gulf of Mexico, and was trailed at all times by two chase planes monitoring its course. “It flew great, everything worked great, [it] made a beautiful landing – probably one of the best landings I’ve ever seen,” said the project’s chief engineer Paul Cejas. Should the need have arisen however, the F-16 was equipped with a ground-operated self-destruct mechanism.
One of the major advantages of not having a pilot on-board a jet fighter, is the ability to stress the plane to higher limits without fear of losing human life. During this flight however, the aircraft was only tested at 7Gs of acceleration even though an unmanned, fly-by-wire F-16 should be quite capable of performing maneuvers at 9Gs.
The Latest on: Fighter jet into an unmanned drone
- Gatwick Airport incident shows the threat of rogue drones in commercial airspace on December 20, 2018 at 4:42 pm
The incident at Britain’s second-busiest airport — which threatened to drag on into Friday — shows why regulators and drone industry experts fear a collision at high speeds could cause significant str... […]
- Holiday chaos as drones shut London’s Gatwick Airport on December 20, 2018 at 9:37 am
About 20 police units from two forces tried in vain to find the drone operator as soon as the first unmanned aircraft was spotted above Gatwick ... Drones could get sucked into a jet engine or crash t... […]
- A Nightmare for the US? China Unveils Its Unmanned 'Dark Sword' Fighter Jet on August 5, 2018 at 5:00 pm
China has unveiled an unmanned fighter ... military aircraft. Pentagon staff tells CBN News the current top speed for unmanned service aircraft is around 300 miles per hour, which is the same speed at ... […]
- China just showed it has a new 'Dark Sword' fighter jet — and it's a nightmare for the US on June 5, 2018 at 8:51 am
China released images of a new, unmanned, stealth-fighter-style jet, and they present a shocking look into how close Beijing has come to unseating the US as the dominant military air power. An expert ... […]
- Israeli fighter jet shot down after striking Iranian targets in Syria on February 9, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Syrian air forces shot down an Israeli F-16 fighter jet after Israel ... interception of an Iranian drone. "A combat helicopter successfully intercepted an Iranian UAV that was launched from Syria and ... […]
- US fighter jet and Iranian drone nearly collide over the Gulf on August 9, 2017 at 6:54 am
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region — The United States claims one of its carrier-based fighter ... of the two aircraft forced the US pilot to do “a roll over” the drone to avoid a collision, according to CENTCOM ... […]
- Robotic Fighter Jets Fly Into Mock Combat on May 17, 2017 at 7:08 am
"The F-16 is a fourth-generation fighter, and pair it with an F-35, a fifth-generation battle network node, and have those two operating together." The unmanned jet could haul ... to develop old F-16s ... […]
- Artificial intelligence will allow fighter jet pilots to control drones on October 25, 2016 at 10:39 am
For instance, real-time video feeds from the electro-optical/infrared sensors on board a Predator, Reaper or Global Hawk drone could go directly into an F-35 cockpit ... As a result, there may be room ... […]
- Fighter Jets and Drones Practice Rapid-Fire Launches on August 19, 2014 at 5:54 am
The test flights, which took place Sunday (Aug. 17) aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, focused on assessing whether unmanned drones ... a whole squadron of fighter jets down to science. But in the pas... […]
- Boeing converts F-16 fighter jet into an unmanned drone on September 30, 2013 at 4:01 am
Boeing has announced that it has retrofitted a number of retired Lockheed Martin F-16 fighter jets with equipment enabling them to be flown remotely without a pilot. In conjunction with the US Air For... […]
via Google News and Bing News