Glasses that can automatically translate foreign menus into the wearer’s own language have been unveiled in Japan.
The next-generation spectacles were revealed at a gadget fair on the outskirts of Tokyo and could be available in time for the city’s hosting of the Olympics in 2020.
By using augmented reality the glasses can project text in the wearer’s native tongue over unfamiliar signs and menus, potentially proving invaluable for British tourists whose grasp of Japanese is limited.
The invention may be particularly useful for those who journey beyond the most popular destinations in Japan where foreign-language menus are rarely found.
In a statement Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo, the company behind the glasses, said: “Character recognition technology enables instant language translation for users travelling abroad and reading restaurant menus and other documents.”
Another function the smart glasses can perform is turning any flat surface into a touchscreen with the wearer using a finger ring to activate animated tags.
The gadget, unveiled at a preview of the Ceatec electronics trade show in the Tokyo suburb of Chiba, is also wired with facial recognition software that can bring up someone’s name and job title when you meet them.
The Latest on: Augmented reality
- What Is Augmented Reality, Anyway? on December 10, 2018 at 9:25 am
But as an AR researcher with expertise in both industry and academia, I disagree with those optimistic views. Most people in the U.S. haven’t heard of AR – and most of those who have don’t really know ... […]
- Virtual and Augmented Reality Market Analysis by CompaniesCount Key Players, Types, Applications and Growth Opportunities to 2025 on December 10, 2018 at 7:30 am
"The Global Virtual and Augmented Reality Market report provides information by Top Players, Geography, End users, Applications, Competitor analysis, Sales, Revenue, Price, Gross Margin, Market Share, ... […]
- More processing power for connected aircrafts, in-flight infotainment and augmented reality in aviation on December 10, 2018 at 6:58 am
San Diego, CA, December 4, 2018 * * * congatec – a leading vendor of standardized and customized embedded computer boards and modules – showcases its new modular airborne computing platforms for conne... […]
- Global Vinyl Flooring Market 2018-2022 | Implementation of Augmented Reality Drives Growth | Technavio on December 10, 2018 at 6:09 am
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181210005514/en/ The implementation of augmented reality (AR) in the flooring industry will ... […]
- Walmart, Consumer Brands Add In-Aisle Augmented Reality on December 10, 2018 at 5:58 am
Augmented reality is welcoming Walmart shoppers. A Christmas Sleigh Ride AR activation is being featured in nine brand-sponsored aisles throughout 1,000 Walmart locations for the next four weeks. A cu... […]
- Mall of America Selects XenoHolographic for Holiday Augmented Reality Customer Experience on December 10, 2018 at 3:52 am
VANCOUVER, Dec. 10, 2018 /PRNewswire/ - Imagination Park Entertainment Inc. (IP.CN) (IPNFF) ("Imagination Park" or "Company") is pleased to announce that its wholly-owned subsidiary ... […]
- Augmented and virtual reality are coming into use by architects and developers on December 10, 2018 at 12:07 am
When Avalara Hawk Tower, part of a $350 million development in Seattle that overlooks CenturyLink Field, was still just a vacant lot, prospective tenants could get a view of the city from the top floo... […]
- Augmented reality start-up Blippar faces administration within days on December 9, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Blippar, the British augmented reality start-up, faces administration within days after a disagreement between two of its investors threatens a crucial raise of emergency funding. The business has app... […]
- VR Veterans Found Artie Augmented Reality Avatar Company on December 9, 2018 at 11:27 am
The migration of virtual reality veterans to augmented reality continues. A new AR startup dubbed Artie is coming out of stealth mode today in Los Angeles with the aim of giving you artificial ... […]
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality market revenue growth opportunities to 2025 on December 8, 2018 at 4:41 pm
The increasing demand for AR devices in healthcare, growing demand for AR in retail and e-commerce, and rising investment in the augmented reality market are the major drivers for the augmented realit... […]
via Google News and Bing News