Glasses that can automatically translate foreign menus into the wearer’s own language have been unveiled in Japan.
The next-generation spectacles were revealed at a gadget fair on the outskirts of Tokyo and could be available in time for the city’s hosting of the Olympics in 2020.
By using augmented reality the glasses can project text in the wearer’s native tongue over unfamiliar signs and menus, potentially proving invaluable for British tourists whose grasp of Japanese is limited.
The invention may be particularly useful for those who journey beyond the most popular destinations in Japan where foreign-language menus are rarely found.
In a statement Japanese telecoms firm NTT Docomo, the company behind the glasses, said: “Character recognition technology enables instant language translation for users travelling abroad and reading restaurant menus and other documents.”
Another function the smart glasses can perform is turning any flat surface into a touchscreen with the wearer using a finger ring to activate animated tags.
The gadget, unveiled at a preview of the Ceatec electronics trade show in the Tokyo suburb of Chiba, is also wired with facial recognition software that can bring up someone’s name and job title when you meet them.
The Latest on: Augmented reality
- Augmented Reality Growth Fueled by Chinese Investments on October 6, 2018 at 12:58 am
One of the new realities of augmented reality is this: the technology is attracting more investment from China than from sources in North America. This trend happens as activity around AR heats up, wi... […]
- Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in Healthcare Market To Grow at a CAGR of +25% by 2026 according To new research on October 5, 2018 at 11:52 am
Global Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality in Healthcare Market Is Expected to grow at a CAGR of +25% by 2026 as Per the Global Market Research Study Done By the Analysts at Healthcare Intelligence ... […]
- Artemest Releases iOS App With Augmented Reality, Available Now at the App Store on October 5, 2018 at 9:48 am
The new tool allows users to explore and shop the finest handmade luxury furniture and home decor, using the advanced technology of Augmented Reality to preview unique objects right in their home. Use... […]
- 7 IT projects primed for augmented reality and virtual reality on October 5, 2018 at 3:42 am
Learn more. While virtual reality (VR) has obvious consumer appeal, augmented reality (AR) was invented for industrial manufacturing, and both are increasingly being seen as viable solutions for busin... […]
- Frost & Sullivan awards RE'FLEKT with the 2018 European Product Leadership for Augmented Reality on October 5, 2018 at 2:19 am
"Employing affordable and scalable Augmented Reality (AR) and Mixed Reality (MR) business solutions, RE'FLEKT's groundbreaking, human-centric ecosystem allows various industries to leverage their know... […]
- APM Terminals Brazil Uses Augmented Reality to Train Workers on October 4, 2018 at 7:03 pm
No, using augmented reality to train workers is not a science fiction! The HSE (Health, Safety, and Environment) team at APM Terminals Brazil developed an augmented reality (AR) app for employees, con... […]
- Purdue Team Taps Into Augmented Reality For Medical Tech on October 4, 2018 at 1:59 pm
A team at Purdue University is using technology most commonly associated with gaming to assist in potentially life-saving situations. The augmented reality system gives doctors who lack experience a r... […]
- New display design could make lightweight, compact smart glasses a reality on October 4, 2018 at 7:03 am
Researchers have developed a fundamentally new approach to a see-through display for augmented reality, or smart glasses. By projecting images from the glass directly onto the eye, the new design ... […]
- Global Automotive Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality Market detailed in new research report on October 4, 2018 at 3:22 am
The report covers the market landscape and its growth prospects over the coming years. The report also includes a discussion of the key vendors operating in this market. Augmented reality (AR) is a te... […]
- Augmented Reality (AR) market 2018 examined in new market research report on October 3, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Global Augmented Reality (AR), 2018 Market Research Report is a professional and in-depth study on the current trends and Future Forecast. Augmented Reality (AR) market is an interactive experience of ... […]
via Google News and Bing News