An experiment by a UKZN student has put South Africa at the forefront of scientific research.
On Tuesday the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research unveiled the world’s very first digital laser, developed in South Africa.
Scientists say this is a milestone in laser technology.
With this digital laser, South Africa is flexing its scientific muscles, showing that it can compete with some of the world’s best in science and technology.
Under the leadership of Professor Andrew Forbes, the team has shown that laser beams can be digitally controlled from within a laser device, which means producing shapes will be much simpler and easier.
This development will serve as a launching pad to further laser related technologies.
It was PhD student Sandile Ngcobo’s experiment that led to the breakthrough.
Ngcobo said, “According to what pictures you put in , the grayscale images , the laser will try and replicate it as a light , basically…”
Lasers are increasingly becoming a crucial part of everyday life all around the world, and according to Forbes, the possibilities of how this digital laser will improve lives is endless.
“We believe it can be used in health, as a research tool, not yet as a clinical product, and we are already working on this plus other devices in the communication,” said Forbes.
The Latest on: Lasers
- FBH Shows Custom Lasers And UV LEDs At Photonics West on December 20, 2018 at 1:15 am
Applications of the flexible and compact light sources include LiDAR, medicine, and (Raman) spectroscopy The Ferdinand-Braun-Institut (FBH) will present novel developments and advancements of its diod... […]
- Global and Asia Medical Lasers Market | Size | Analysis | Share | Outlook to 2023 on December 19, 2018 at 10:37 pm
Marketresearchnest Reports adds “Global and Asia Medical Lasers Market Status and Future Forecast 2013-2023” new report to its research database. The report spread across 101 pages with multiple table... […]
- II-VI Incorporated Expands Manufacturing Capacity of Diamond Windows for TRUMPF High Power CO2 Lasers in EUV Lithography on December 19, 2018 at 3:55 pm
PITTSBURGH, Dec. 19, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- II‐VI Incorporated (IIVI), a leading provider of engineered materials and optics, today announced that it is expanding its manufacturing capacity of ... […]
- Customized diode lasers and UV LEDs -- from chips to ready-to-use systems on December 19, 2018 at 7:17 am
FBH introduces novel diode lasers and advancements at Photonics West 2019. Applications of the flexible and compact light sources include LiDAR, medicine, and (Raman) spectroscopy. Results and progres... […]
- Marines order $10M worth of new nonlethal lasers to stun opponents on December 19, 2018 at 5:04 am
The new USMC Ocular Interruption System, built by Redmond, Washington-based B.E. Meyers and Co., has been ordered for delivery. The 17-ounce device is a 250mW maximum output green laser dazzler that a... […]
- Theater review: Lexi Walker, aerialists and lasers, oh my! HCT's 'Wizard of Oz' a Technicolor riot on December 18, 2018 at 1:27 pm
"THE WIZARD OF OZ," through Feb. 2, Hale Centre Theatre, 9900 S. Monroe St., Sandy (801-984-9000 or hct.org); running time: 2 hours, 30 minutes (one intermission) SANDY — "There's no place like home," ... […]
- Innovative Lasers is a painless way to lose weight on December 17, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Cristina Kooker visited Innovative Lasers of Houston to see how the fat-torching Zerona Laser works. It is the first non-invasive body contouring procedure that effectively removes excess fat without ... […]
- RPMC Lasers Inc Announce Exclusive North American Distribution Agreement With the Bright Solutions Group on December 17, 2018 at 10:39 am
O'FALLON, Mo., December 17, 2018 (Newswire.com) - RPMC Lasers Inc, the leading distributor of solid-state lasers in North America, is excited to announce their exclusive distribution relationship with ... […]
- Fraunhofer ILT Develops Lasers That Can Cut Glass Into Any Shape on December 17, 2018 at 10:31 am
Cutting glass can be a dangerous and difficult process – but with specially shaped, ultrashort laser pulses developed by the Fraunhofer Institute for Laser Technology ILT, it doesn’t have to be. […]
- Global Aesthetic Lasers and Energy Devices Market – Analysis Covering Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast till 2018 – 2026 on December 17, 2018 at 2:21 am
Market Research Reports Search Engine (MRRSE) has recently updated its massive report catalog by adding a fresh study titled “Global Aesthetic Lasers and Energy Devices Market – Analysis Covering Size ... […]
via Google News and Bing News