Scientists believe they could be on the cusp of a medical breakthrough which could bring hope to thousands of Parkinson’s sufferers.
They’ve injected brain cells from pigs into humans in a world-first clinical trial, which they believe could reverse or even halt Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s patients are depending on the pigs.
Brain cells are being taken from the Auckland Island animals by Living Cell Technologies’ managing director Dr Andrea Grant, who believes they could hold the key to curing the disease.
“We’ve been able to show that in various disease models if we put these cells in into damaged tissue, they cause that tissue to regenerate,” Dr Grant says.
The technology has already proven successful in animals and this week Living Cell Technologies trialled it on a human for the first time.
“We actually drill a very small bore hole into the brain and a catheter is put down there and the cells are injected down through the catheter,” Dr Grant explains.
The cells are implanted into the damaged part of the brain. The hope is that they will cause dying human cells to grow back.
Something which leading neurologist Dr Barry Snow who specialises in Parkinson’s truly understands the importance of.
“Parkinson’s is a really difficult disease to have. I look after a lot of people with Parkinson’s and I’m very aware they need and want a better way to treat the disease,” Dr Snow says.
Already the signs are looking promising.
The Latest on: Parkinson’s
- The Surprising Illness Behind My Dad’s Sudden Gambling Addiction on September 23, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Besides gambling, the compulsions can emerge with shopping, eating, sexual activity, and hoarding. Parkinsons.org describes the condition as “an overwhelming drive or urge to act in a certain way, often repetitively, to reduce the worry or tension that ... […]
- Major conference considers latest developments in Parkinsons Disease on September 21, 2017 at 6:07 am
Over 200 delegates will attend a major multi-disciplinary conference in Edinburgh on Thursday 21 and Friday 22 September which marks the 200 th anniversary of the publication of James Parkinson’s “An Essay on the Shaking Palsy”, which described the ... […]
- Parkinson's Disease support group to host symposium on September 20, 2017 at 8:01 pm
Check out this story on lcsun-news.com: http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/local/2017/09/19/parkinsons-disease-support-group-host-symposium/680978001/ […]
- Betsy DeVos helps open MSU research building amid protests on September 20, 2017 at 11:01 am
In addition to Alzheimer's and Parkinsons's diseases, researchers at the new building will also work on finding cures for women's health and infertility, as well as autism and pediatric cancers, officials say. "This building stands as a beacon of hope ... […]
- SAHMRI researchers will tackle Parkinson’s disease by growing brain cells on September 14, 2017 at 11:03 pm
Dr Cedric Bardy, from SAHMRI’s Mind and Brain theme, has been awarded funding from Perpetual IMPACT Philanthropy to undertake research to find new potential molecular targets to treat Parkinsons’s disease. While brain cells have been grown from skin ... […]
- Parkinsons Disease Therapeutics Market to 2019 - Pipeline Shows Shift towards Long Term Disease Management on September 13, 2017 at 7:14 am
Latest industry research report on “Parkinsons Disease Therapeutics Market” : Industry Size, Share, Research, Reviews, Analysis, Strategies, Demand, Growth, Segmentation, Parameters, Forecasts. GBI Research has released the pharma report - “Parkinson ... […]
- Parkinsons Disease Therapeutics Market Pipeline Shows Shift Towards Long Term Disease Management 2019 on September 13, 2017 at 12:30 am
The Report Parkinsons Disease Therapeutics Market to 2019 - Pipeline Shows Shift towards Long Term Disease Management provides information on pricing, market analysis, shares, forecast, and company profiles for key industry participants ... […]
- Parkinsons Disease Therapeutics Market to Observe Strong Development by 2022 on September 11, 2017 at 10:45 pm
The Report “Parkinsons Disease Therapeutics Market to Observe Strong Development by 2022” meet user’s requirements and provides in detail information of Regions, Companies, Players, Applications and others. This Research reports adds value to the ... […]
- Western New Yorkers Raise Awareness For Parkinson's Disease. on September 10, 2017 at 9:07 pm
BUFFALO, N.Y.-- Crowds of Western New Yorkers are helping money and awareness for Parkinsons Disease. The sixth annual Moving Day took place at Coca-Cola Field in downtown Buffalo Sunday. The event included a three mile walk along the waterfront as well as ... […]
- Parkinson's disease: New drugs and treatments, but where are the doctors? on September 8, 2017 at 1:47 pm
As a field, we need to better understand that Parkinson’s patients have many choices of therapies and this is a compelling reason why special Parkinsons’ doctors are needed. When treated appropriately, we really can make this a livable condition. […]
via Google News and Bing News