The SealBio technique invented by a team of doctors at AIIMS in the Capital has been found to cure and regenerate an infected root canal through stem cell activation
Reported advances in the field of regenerative medicine, hinging on the use of stem cells, evoke both scepticism and hope. Claims of miracle cures by unmonitored clinics for afflictions ranging from Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, cancers, heart diseases, spinal injuries, paralysis to general symptoms of ageing have proved counter-productive. For, without certified clinical trials, such claims fall flat.
As a premier research and teaching centre, which also provides specialised medical care, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in the Capital is cautious about testimonies. These require clearance after rigorous verification.
The institute has promoted research in the application of stem cells to treat diverse maladies. A breakthrough dental regeneration technique has been developed by the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Centre for Dental Education and Research. A team, headed by Prof. Naseem Shah, centre chief and department head, has pioneered the SealBio technique for infected root canal cure and regeneration, where necrosis has set in. It is unique to AIIMS.
The method hinges on the premise that human intervention should facilitate natural healing by activating the body’s own regenerative power. In this case, it is achieved by the simple expedient of activating stem cells in a decaying tooth’s root canal, after it is rigorously cleaned and disinfected. The root canal is then restored to health by the gradual build up of tissue by stem cells over a period, extending from a few weeks to some months. This does away with the century-old convention of filling up the root canal, after it is cleaned up, with gutta percha, a rubber derivative.
No need for implant
Since the AIIMS method induces tissue build up, chance of saving the infected tooth is greater, precluding the need for an implant or other artificial object in the mouth. A research paper, titled ‘SealBio: A novel, non-obturation endodontic treatment based on concept of regeneration’, authored by Dr. Naseem Shah and Dr. Ajay Logani, and published in Journal of Conservative Dentistry, dated October-December 2012, details the procedure. It cites 18 case studies, of patients ranging from 15-76 years, with severely infected teeth. Activating stem cells involves ‘over-instrumentation into the periapical region’ with a very fine surgical needle so as to induce bleeding. Subsequently, the cavity in the crown is restored, and a thorough follow up of cases is done over the following months. Healing of lesions, as their size decreases, and increase in bone and cementum density is documented via X-rays. All cases showed excellent healing.
This excerpt demystifies the method so that even a lay person can understand it: “Apical cleaning, apical foramen widening and over instrumentation into periapical region were done to induce bleeding near apical foramen. It is hypothesised that the clot formed provides a scaffold into which locally residing stem cells can get seeded and the cascade of healing process can initiate.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Washington officials tracked a live Asian giant hornet, then they lost iton October 11, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Washington’s hunt for the Asian giant hornet had a breakthrough this month followed by heartbreak. On Oct. 5, a resident was able to catch a live specimen of the invasive species and it was turned ...
- Investigators reveal Leighton Agg knew his 'killer'on October 9, 2020 at 9:46 am
According to investigators, the suspect arrested in connection with Leighton Agg’s murder knew him. Agg’s body was found this week after an extensive search.
- Oclean Air2, the silent toothbrush set to launch on eBay this October.on October 9, 2020 at 4:51 am
It may not seem like an everyday issue, but using an electric toothbrush can offer both its pros and cons. Since the development of electric toothbrushes, users and dental hygienists have found that ...
- MCRA Hires Former Leader of FDA Breakthrough Device Program & Neurology Division Manageron October 8, 2020 at 11:42 am
In addition to John's leadership role with the FDA Breakthrough Designation Device Program, John also served in additional roles at the FDA, including Acting Director of the IDE Program, Lead Reviewer ...
- UDHI Acquires Worldwide Rights for Breakthrough Medical Patenton September 30, 2020 at 6:17 am
PRNewswire/ -- Union Dental Holdings, Inc. (OTC: "UDHI", the "New UDHI") announced signing final Licensing Agreement with Consulting Group of Jocassee, ...
- The Oral-B iO Toothbrush Is Ideal for Perfectionists and Slackers Alikeon September 25, 2020 at 5:00 am
my dentist can always pinpoint spots I need to ... is why we're declaring the Oral-B iO toothbrush a Best of Beauty 2020 breakthrough winner. Check out the full list of Allure's 2020 Best of ...
- Breakthrough for tomorrow's dentistry speeds tooth sensitivity treatmentson September 23, 2020 at 7:05 am
New knowledge on the cellular makeup and growth of teeth can expedite developments in the treatment of tooth sensitivity and regenerative dentistry—a biological therapy for damaged teeth.
- Breakthrough for tomorrow's dentistryon September 23, 2020 at 2:03 am
New knowledge on the cellular makeup and growth of teeth can expedite developments in regenerative dentistry - a biological therapy for damaged teeth - as well as the treatment of tooth sensitivity.
- Breakthrough for tomorrow's dentistryon September 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Dental cell type atlas reveals stem and differentiated cell types in mouse and human teeth. Nature Communications , 2020; 11 (1) DOI: 10.1038/s41467-020-18512-7 Cite This Page : ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- U of T's Medicine by Design invests $1 million to advance new ideas in regenerative medicineon October 9, 2020 at 11:16 am
U of T's Amy Wong, a scientist working in developmental and stem cell biology at SickKids Hospital, is overseeing one of seven projects at U of T and its partner hospitals supported by the 2020 New ...
- Regenerative Medicine Market | Increasing Prevalence of Chronic Diseases to Boost the Market Growth | Technavioon October 9, 2020 at 8:12 am
The global regenerative medicine market size is poised to grow by USD 9.55 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 20% throughout the forecast period, according to the latest report by ...
- A venture into innovative orthopaedic treatment through regenerative medicine & roboticson October 9, 2020 at 3:32 am
Dr. Althaaf Mohamed A.H. is a consultant Arthroplasty and Arthroscopy surgeon and currently the CEO and Medical Director of a reputed Orthopedics hospital and Managing Director of Surecell in India.
- The Center For Regenerative Medicine Has Over 20 Years’ Experience In Neurological Diseases, More Than 50,000 Cases Treatedon October 8, 2020 at 2:43 pm
The Center for Regenerative Medicine in Miami, Florida, helps patients get back to a functional level of life and activities using Regenerative medicine and autologous therapy. Since 2000 ...
- Regenerative medicine company Aziyo Biologics prices IPO at $17 midpointon October 8, 2020 at 5:00 am
A ziyo Biologics, which makes regenerative medical products for various tissue types, raised $50 million by offering 2.9 million shares at $17, within the range of $16 to $18. Ins ...
- The global regenerative medicine market is projected to reach USD 17.9 billion by 2025 from USD 8.5 billion in 2020, at a CAGR of 15.9%on October 8, 2020 at 2:14 am
Reportlinker.com announces the release of the report "Regenerative Medicine Market by Product, Application, Geography - ...
- Regenerative medicine company Aziyo Biologics prices $50M IPO, trades Thursdayon October 8, 2020 at 12:14 am
Commercial-stage regenerative medicine company (AZYO) prices a full-sized IPO with 2.94M shares priced at $17, the midpoint of the prior $16-18 range.Financials: 2019 revenue totaled $42.9M (+10% Y/Y) ...
- Genprex to Present at the Alliance for Regenerative Medicine’s Virtual Cell and Gene Meeting on the Mesaon October 6, 2020 at 5:22 am
("Genprex" or the "Company") (NASDAQ: GNPX), a clinical-stage gene therapy company developing potentially life-changing technologies for patients with cancer and diabetes, today announced that it will ...
- Regenerative Medicine Market worth $17.9 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on September 30, 2020 at 8:45 am
According to the new market research report "Regenerative Medicine Market by Product (Cell Therapies (Autologous, Allogenic), Stemcell Ther ...
- Regenerative Medicine Market worth $17.9 billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarketson September 30, 2020 at 8:34 am
According to the new market research report "Regenerative Medicine Market by Product (Cell Therapies (Autologous, Allogenic), Stemcell Therapy, Tissue-engineering ...