Long the domain of sci-fi television and movies, a functional jetpack could be ready for lift-off soon.
Inventor Glenn Martin has created a working prototype, and it has been approved for manned testing.
Personal jetpacks have been a quirky passion of a small group enthusiasts for many decades. Now the technology could be making a big leap forward: The world’s “first practical jetpack” has been approved for human testing by New Zealand aviation regulators, according to AFP. The manufacturer, Martin Aircraft, hopes to begin selling a jetpack model next year.
Inspired by the TV shows Lost In Space and Thunderbirds, inventor Glenn Martin began working on the technology in his garage more than three decades ago. To use the contraption, a rider straps himself into a frame with two propulsion cylinders and controls movements with a joystick. The latest design incorporates changes to the duct positioning, resulting “in a quantum leap in performance over the previous prototype,” the company’s CEO told AFP.
Fast Company’s own resident jetpack expert, Mac Montandon, author of the book,Jetpack Dreams: One Man’s Up and Down (But Mostly Down) Search for the Greatest Invention that Never Was, said the development looks promising:
The Latest on: Jetpack
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Update Adds Jetpacks, Rebalances Heroes on February 19, 2018 at 4:24 pm
The latest update brings about a bunch of different player requests, rebalances to Heroes and Villains, bug and glitch fixes, as well as some brand new features such as the game’s Jetpack Cargo mode. As far as Star Wars Battlefront 2‘s Jetpack Cargo ... […]
- Star Wars Battlefront II Update 1.07 Patch Notes Reveal Balancing Changes on February 19, 2018 at 2:21 pm
As a result, we improved the EE-3 in a few areas and we hope this will combine with the jetpack changes to make Boba Fett even more fun to use on the battlefront. Jet Pack – Jet Pack controllability improved EE-3 – Reduced the minimum dispersion angle ... […]
- Star Wars Battlefront II Patch Adds Jetpack Cargo Mode on February 19, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Another patch has been released today for Star Wars Battlefront II. The main highlight of Patch 1.2 is a new game mode, although there are also new locations for Custom Arcade, three new Hero Appearances, two default emotes for Troopers, and a host of ... […]
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Update 1.2 Adds the Jetpack Cargo Mode on February 19, 2018 at 12:28 pm
EA and DICE’s beleaguered Star Wars Battlefront 2 continues to get multiple new updates- especially in the face of the “new” progression system (designed to inject microtransactions and loot boxes back into the game), which is supposed to be ... […]
- Star Wars Battlefront II Update 1.2 Live; Introduces Hero Changes And A New Game Mode on February 19, 2018 at 6:09 am
The new game mode, dubbed Jetpack Cargo is a limited mode whereby players strap on jetpacks and make use of rocket launchers for a full round. It seems like it’s going to be a ridiculous amount of mayhem. Other than that, other notable changes include ... […]
- Star Wars: Battlefront II Patch 1.2 Adds New Jetpack Game Mode on February 19, 2018 at 5:39 am
EA has released the patch notes for Star Wars: Battlefront II Patch 1.2 which adds additional locations to Custom Arcade along with adding a new fast-paced game mode called Jetpack Cargo. Players can also expect to see various tweaks and bug fixes making ... […]
- Star Wars Battlefront II Update 1.2 Now Live; Introduces New Game Mode, Balance Changes And More on February 19, 2018 at 3:33 am
The biggest additions of the 1.2 update are the introduction of additional locations to Custom Arcade and of the Jetpack Cargo mode. The mode will only be available for a limited time. We’re also launching a new game mode – Jetpack Cargo! This fast ... […]
- These specially built Buicks shadowed the Olympic torch in 1984 on February 15, 2018 at 2:54 pm
The opening ceremony featured, among other things, a guy in a jetpack (watch it set to Crystal Method's "Keep Hope Alive"), and when the dust settled the U.S. had won more than three times as many medals as the next-best finisher. But before the big torch ... […]
- GS News Update: Star Wars Battlefront 2 Adds Limited-Time Jetpack Mode In Next Update on February 12, 2018 at 4:41 pm
A new patch is on the way soon to Star Wars Battlefront II on PS4, Xbox One, and PC, introducing the Jetpack Cargo mode and Hero balance changes. GS News Updates are here to keep you up to date with the very latest and greatest in gaming news. […]
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Patch 1.2 Detailed, Features Jetpack Cargo Mode And Bug Fixes on February 10, 2018 at 12:00 am
Star Wars Battlefront 2 will get a new update in the coming days that is currently in development stage. The changelog for this latest update was revealed by the developers and while there is no release date given for it, it was confirmed that the patch ... […]
via Google News and Bing News