Park said he anticipates this neuron knockdown will help scientists develop targeted control methods for pest insects that would be environmentally safe.
Kansas State University entomologists have helped identify a neuropeptide named natalisin that regulates the sexual activity and reproductive ability of insects.
The team is the first to observe and name the neuropeptide, which is composed of short chains of amino acids in the brain of insects and arthropods. The finding may open new possibilities for environmentally friendly pest management, said Yoonseong Park, professor of entomology at Kansas State University.
Park and colleagues recently published their findings in the study, “Natalisin, a tachykinin-like signaling system, regulates sexual activity and fecundity in insects.” It appears in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, or PNAS, and was conducted by the Institute of Science and Technology in South Korea; the Slovak Academy of Sciences in Slovakia; Korea University in South Korea; and Kansas State University.
Natalisin is part of insects’ and arthropods’ peptidergic system — a genetic network that uses small peptides as neurotransmitters to chemically relay messages throughout the body.
“Natalisin is unique to insects and arthropods and has evolved with them,” Park said. “It appears to be related to a neuropeptide called tachykinin that is in mammals and invertebrates. While tachykinin is involved with various biological processes, including the control of blood flow in mammals, natalisin is linked to reproductive function and mating behavior in insects and arthropods.”
The study looks at natalisin in fruit flies, red flour beetles and silk moths. These insects have four life stages of development — egg, larva, pupa and adult — allowing scientists to observe the insects throughout the entirety of their life cycle to find what natalisin controls.
Kansas State University specializes in red flour beetle research, while South Korea’s Institute of Science and Technology and Korea University are leaders in fruit fly research, and Slovakia’s Slovak Academy of Sciences in silk moth research, Park said.
The researchers saw that in all three insects, natalisin was expressed in three to four pairs of neurons in the brain.
Using a genetic tool called RNA interference, or RNAi, the researchers looked at what happened when natalisin was silenced or knocked out from the insects’ brains.
They found that the absence of natalisin in the brain led to the insects’ physical inability to reproduce as well as reduced their interest in mating.
“For example, we saw that knocking out the natalisin in the fruit fly makes them unable to mate,” Park said. “The female is too busy grooming her body for the male to approach her. The male doesn’t send a strong enough signal to the female to get her attention. We’re not sure if that’s because the male can’t really smell her or because he is not developed enough to signal her.”
Park said he anticipates this neuron knockdown will help scientists develop targeted control methods for pest insects that would be environmentally safe. Because natalisin is only found in insects, a future insecticide would not affect plants, animals or humans.
The Latest Bing News on:
Control methods for pest insects
- Tree pest's discovery in two new Minnesota counties shows ongoing nature of control effortson October 11, 2020 at 6:39 am
The emerald ash borer, an invasive species, was found in two new Minnesota counties this week. ST. PAUL — Minnesota agricultural officials confirmed last week the discovery of emerald ash borer, an ...
- Insect Pest Control Market Size, Growth Outlookon September 29, 2020 at 7:03 am
Global Insect Pest Control Market was valued at USD 13.2 Billion in the year 2017. Global Insect Pest Control Market ...
- Pest Control Market will experience a noticeable growth during the forecast period 2019-2025on September 29, 2020 at 5:20 am
The global pest control market is expected to grow at an annual average of 5.2% from 2019 to 2025. Pest control is used to kill or combat attacks from pests such as insects, rodents and bed bugs.
- Effort Launched To Control Spread Of Invasive Insect In Lake Georgeon September 24, 2020 at 7:10 am
After the recent discovery of an invasive forest pest near Lake George ... The state says the most effective way to control the spread of the insect is with insecticides sprayed on the bark ...
- Pest Control Market Size, Growth Insight, Share, Emerging Technologies Regional and Global Industry Forecast to 2026on September 22, 2020 at 3:55 am
The global pest control marketsize is anticipated to witness substantial growth on account of the increasing rodent population and reachUSD 31.94 billionby 2027. The change in climatic conditions and ...
- Make sure to check service tickets when using ‘professional’ firms to control pestson September 20, 2020 at 5:01 pm
make sure he or she tells you what they are treating for as well and ask for a guarantee beneficial insects won’t be killed with the method being used. If a pest control service uses ...
- Protect yield potential with a more effective approach to pest controlon September 15, 2020 at 6:44 am
Corn rootworm (CRW) is historically a highly adaptable pest, and long-term management requires the rotation of multiple control strategies to delay the development of insect adaptation ... the use of ...
- Protect yield potential with a more effective approach to pest controlon September 15, 2020 at 2:37 am
Corn rootworm (CRW) is historically a highly adaptable pest, and long-term management requires the rotation of multiple control strategies to delay the development of insect adaptation.
- Government invests $19 million in Kaimai-Mamaku pest controlon September 14, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The Government is set to invest $19 million over four years towards pest control in the Kaimai ... trapping and other control methods which a government spokesperson confirmed could include ...
- The 6 Best Pest Control Services in 2020on September 14, 2020 at 12:51 pm
Not all pests live indoors ... whether each service is taking steps to protect the environment via safe pest control methods, community involvement, and other green initiatives.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Control methods for pest insects
The Latest Bing News on:
- WorkWave to Showcase its Latest Pest Industry Benchmarking Data at This Year's Virtual PestWorld 2020on October 12, 2020 at 7:08 am
PRNewswire/ -- WorkWave, a leading provider of cloud-based software solutions that support every stage of a service business's life cycle, is exhibiting at this year's virtual PestWorld, showcasing ...
- Pest control company helps revitalize Troy parkon October 9, 2020 at 10:30 am
Fox Pest Control Pest Pro technicians picked up litter from Prospect Park recently as part of the company’s Green Glove Project.
- The real RAT race: Pest control experts warn Britain's rodent numbers are on the riseon October 7, 2020 at 6:05 am
Pest control experts have warned Britain's rat numbers are on the rise and are set to invade homes this winter after 'running riot' in empty buildings during lockdown. Boss of Cleankill Pest ...
- 8 Pest Control Mistakes You're Making That Are Sure To Invite the Critters Inon October 5, 2020 at 7:30 pm
And when it comes to pest control, ignorance is not bliss. You need to know what you’re up against in order to prevent and evict unwanted critters. We talked with entomologists and experts to learn ...
- Pest control technician comes to rescue when load of hay catches fire on Red Hills Parkwayon October 5, 2020 at 5:00 pm
A pickup truck hauling a trailer loaded with hay caught fire on Red Hills Parkway Tuesday afternoon, and thanks to a pest control technician who pulled over to help, the fire was kept at bay until ...
- Pest Control an “Essential Service”on October 2, 2020 at 11:39 pm
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW The federal government currently does not have a nationwide shelter in place mandate. However, should the President order a nationwide restriction, pest control and extermination ...
- Ban pest control poisons for consumer use: Readeron September 30, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Ban pest control poisons for consumer use; Why are Republicans against health insurance for all?; Peaceful transfer of power is bedrock of democracy ...
- Toxido Pest Control L.L.Con September 30, 2020 at 10:53 am
Access the most comprehensive database of companies and officers in the Middle East and North Africa, covering all major sectors and industries, from Refinitiv. Refinitiv research team update company ...
- Integrated Pest Management Market Is Forecast to Reach USD 188.58 Billion by 2027: BASF SE, IPM Pest Control, MB Integrated Pest Control, SGS SAon September 30, 2020 at 9:43 am
USD 112.63 Billion in 2019, Growth - CAGR of 6.7%, Trends This press release was orginally distributed by SBWire New York, NY -- ( SBWIRE) -- 09/30/2020 -- The global Integrated Pest Management (IPM) ...
- Insight Pest Control – Everett is a Top-Rated Pest Control Everett Service Provider in WAon September 30, 2020 at 6:42 am
The best way to control pests in and around the home is taking a proactive approach when it comes to maintenance. This is because most pests will want ...