To the best of our knowledge, this is the first miniature robot that having all the three capabilities: running, jumping, and aerial maneuvering.
In nature, small animals or insects use multiple locomotion methods to efficiently travel in difficult environments. Inspired by the multi-modal locomotion ability found in animals, we aim to investigate the multi-modal locomotion ability for small robots. Specifically, we want to design a robot that can run on flat ground, jump to overcome large obstacles, and control its mid-air orientation once leaping into the air.
We have built a miniature robot which can perform the above functions. It has a lightweight 26.5 gram and a small maximum size 7.5 cm, yet it can achieve the three functions: running, jumping, and aerial maneuvering. Furthermore, it can jump up to 80 centimeters—more than ten times its body size. Finally, this robot is equipped with on-board energy, sensing, control, and wireless communication capabilities, which enables tetherless or autonomous operation.
We added a tail to our previous jumping robot. By actively swinging the tail in mid-air, we can control the robot’s body angle to ensure a safe landing posture—landing on the ground with its side. This tail can also make the robot stand up for the next jump or lie down for running.
The Latest on: Robots
- Report says soon C-sections to be performed by robots on December 9, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Healthcare assistants who do not need any formal qualifications to get a job could one day be trained to perform C-sections with the robots. © Shutterstock Robotics are expected to become so sophistic... […]
- Soon C-Sections to Be Performed by Robots: Report on December 9, 2018 at 9:25 pm
Robotics are expected to become so sophisticated, hospitals may not need surgeons. Controlled by healthcare assistants, the machines will soon be delivering babies by carrying out C-sections as well a... […]
- 100 robots to converge at Daniel Hand High School on December 9, 2018 at 9:15 pm
MADISON — The robots are coming, the robots are coming — as many as 100 of them. It’s not an invasion, it’s the upcoming VEX Robotics Competition Turning Point qualifier competition. where more than 4... […]
- Floor Mopping Robots Market Research Report: Industrial Chain, Sourcing Strategy and Downstream Buyers with Forecast 2023 on December 9, 2018 at 4:14 am
Global Floor Mopping Robots Production, Supply, Sales, and Demand Market Research Report is a systematically conducted exhaustive study of the Global Floor Mopping Robots market. The aim of the report ... […]
- Floor Mopping Robots Market drivers, Decision framework, Geographical segmentation Market landscape 2023 on December 9, 2018 at 4:13 am
Global Floor Mopping Robots market research report 2018 provides important information regarding different aspects. With consumption as the focus, the report also includes other important points. Init... […]
- Waitrose first supermarket to use robots to farm its food on December 8, 2018 at 12:00 pm
British supermarkets are to start selling food farmed in the UK by robots for the first time in a project led by Waitrose, the Telegraph has learned. The supermarket will use autonomous farming robots ... […]
- Robots will rule the edge: At re:Invent, AWS drives a new AI paradigm on December 7, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Edge computing means many things, but we often overlook that robotics is at the heart of it all. Autonomous edge robots are fundamental to pretty much everybody’s vision of what the future holds ... […]
- Universal income vs. the robots: Meet the presidential candidate fighting automation on December 7, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Andrew Yang announced he is vying for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination back in February. His mission? Preparing America for automation. But how is he going to do that? I got the chance to s... […]
- Rise in tourism will create millions of new jobs, as robots kill many others on December 7, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Many people wonder how we’re going to solve the problem of massive unemployment in the coming years as tens of millions of jobs are replaced by increasingly intelligent robots and computer programs. H... […]
- Yale teaches robots not to mess with people’s stuff on December 7, 2018 at 12:11 pm
When it comes to getting a quality education, a robot could do far worse than a program at Yale. Machine learning researchers at the Ivy-League university recently started teaching robots about ... […]
via Google News and Bing News