Efficient information storage by stopped light.
Physicists in Darmstadt have been able to stop something that has the greatest possible speed and that never really stops: light. The physicists, headed by Thomas Halfmann, stopped light for about one minute. They were also able to save images that were transferred by the light pulse into the crystal for a minute – a million times longer than previously possible.
A glass-like crystal to stop the light
To stop the light, the physicists used a glass-like crystal that contains a low concentration of ions – electrically charged atoms – of the element praseodymium. The experimental setup also includes two laser beams. One is part of the deceleration unit, while the other is to be stopped.
The first light beam, called the “control beam”, changes the optical properties of the crystal: the ions then change the speed of light to a high degree. The second beam, the one to be stopped, now comes into contact with this new medium of crystal and laser light and is slowed down within it. When the physicists switch off the control beam at the same moment that the other beam is within the crystal, the decelerated beam comes to a stop.
More precisely, the light turns into a kind of wave trapped in the crystal lattice. This can be explained in greatly simplified form as follows. The praseodymium ions are orbited by electrons. These behave similarly to a chain of magnets: if you put one into motion, the movement – mediated by magnetic forces – propagates in the chain like a wave.
The Latest on: Stopped light
- First day of traffic lights sees slew of accidents on February 21, 2018 at 8:30 pm
“We stopped at the traffic lights and the Honda Wave was beside us,’ she said. The women noticed a Toyota Fortuner approaching them from behind at speed. “The car hit us and our motorbike hit the Honda Wave, whose driver was Supansa Songwis […]
- Black LGBTQ visibility in media has made strides, but it’s time to stop ignoring queer violence on February 21, 2018 at 8:20 pm
Here in lies the danger when we as a community stop on the hill of visibility and representation ... This isn’t about putting one Black executive at the table, or giving us the green light on more projects. This is about us, pulling more of us in ... […]
- Globe-trotting hairdresser who cuts hair of homeless makes stop in NYC on February 21, 2018 at 7:50 pm
"I meet some really beautiful people with amazing stories to tell and I’m trying to document it in a light that’s not sad. Actually it’s the happiness you find in someone, it’s the humanness that we can all relate to." […]
- Bernie Sanders questions why Hillary Clinton's campaign didn't do more to stop Russian meddling on February 21, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Trump has historically called Mueller’s probe a “witch hunt” and, in light of the Russian indictments, has continued to reiterate that “no collusion” ever happened. […]
- Waymo given green light to commercialize self-driving taxis on February 21, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Eventually, though, Waymo will remove the engineer as well. At this point passengers will rely on a button to stop the car should they need to. And digital screens mounted to the back of headrests will display the current route and other key information. […]
- Sparta Police: Traffic Stop Yields Pile of Tickets and Active Warrants on February 21, 2018 at 2:44 pm
SPARTA, NJ – A Newton woman, pulled over for a broken tail light on her black Kia ended up in custody. On February 16 around 12:50 p.m. Sparta Police Officer Thomas Herd stopped Meagan Klein, 44, on Route 15, police report. Herd also found the car’s ... […]
- The five emotional stages we go through when we get a red light camera ticket on February 21, 2018 at 1:04 pm
I did not run that red light. I stopped at that red light. And it was a full stop, brakes engaged and everything. Also, the check is in the mail. There is no bargaining with a red light camera. It is a cold, soulless hunk of steel and apathy, judging you ... […]
- Amateur astronomer captures supernova's first light on February 21, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Buso's camera captured this intense burst of light. Scientists dubbed the flash and subsequent ... continually updated - a one-stop site for U.S. and world news, as well as entertainment, trends, science, health and stunning photography. […]
- Convicted Felon Found With Gun During Traffic Stop In Fairfield on February 20, 2018 at 9:59 pm
At about 9:50 p.m. on Feb. 19, patrol officers stopped a silver Buick sedan that was traveling on Tunxis Hill Road with a malfunctioning brake light. During the stop, officers could smell marijuana coming from inside the vehicle and the passenger was seen ... […]
- Streamlight Launches Streamlight Jr. F-Stop Flashlight on February 20, 2018 at 7:59 am
The Streamlight Jr. F-STOP’s adjustable focus allows users to transition the beam from a piercing spot light to a smooth flood pattern by simply sliding the flashlight’s bezel. “The Streamlight Jr. F-STOP is lightweight, easy to carry and offers ... […]
via Google News and Bing News