AUSTRALIAN researchers have made a breakthrough in combatting a global stem rust strain threatening the world’s wheat crops
CSIRO post-doctoral fellow Sam Periyannan has cloned a stem rust resistance gene known as Sr33 which provides protection against all the known rust races prevalent throughout the world.
Importantly, it has shown moderate resistance to the Ug99 stem rust strain first discovered in Uganda and spreading through the Middle East and Indian subcontinent regions.
About 90 per cent of the world’s wheat varieties are believed to be susceptible to the Ug99 stem rust race.
CSIRO research group leader Mick Ayliffe said the Sr33 gene was found in goat grass, an ancient relative of wheat.
“The gene has been introduced into wheat using genetics and molecular biology techniques,” Dr Ayliffe said.
“And then Sam has cloned the gene.”
Dr Ayliffe said the cloned gene made it easier to identify how the resistance works against stem rust.
He said the cloned gene could be used as a marker by plant breeders to incorporate resistance into new wheat varieties.
The Latest on: Wheat disease
- Girl Pens Book About Her Journey Through Extreme Celiac Disease on December 5, 2018 at 1:24 pm
Bordoni’s book, “Cecilia the Celiac Superhero,” tells the story of her long and complicated fight with celiac disease, and she prevailed via a diagnosis, a gluten-free diet, and eventually, a change o... […]
- First Fully Annotated Reference Genome of Bread Wheat Sparks Chain of Discovery on December 4, 2018 at 8:49 am
In a third study that also made use of the new IWGSC reference sequence, researchers closely examined the proteins contributing to various wheat-immune diseases and allergies, such as celiac disease, ... […]
- Bhakri can be a healthier alternative to whole wheat rotis on December 3, 2018 at 8:21 pm
Polyphenols are wonder compounds (also called antioxidants) found in plants, which help fight inflammation and various diseases/ conditions. Here is why you should choose bajra, jowar and ragi over wh... […]
- Link between Celiac Disease, Cystic Fibrosis May Lead to Gluten Intolerance Drugs on December 3, 2018 at 7:52 am
Biopsy of small bowel showing celiac disease manifested by blunting of villi, crypt hyperplasia, and lymphocyte infiltration of crypts. [Wikipedia/Samir] Overly thick and sticky mucus contributes to c... […]
- Oklahoma's wheat crop faces danger from fungal disease on December 2, 2018 at 1:00 am
A fungal disease that impacts wheat's ability to grow has been spotted on growing crops in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas wheat fields. However, potential impacts the blight known as "leaf rust" might ... […]
- Celiac disease patients suffer in silence as prices of gluten-free products go up on November 30, 2018 at 5:23 pm
ISLAMABAD, Dec. 1 -- Patients suffering from celiac disease in Pakistan face various challenges as there is lack of awareness about it. Gluten free products that are available in super markets are too ... […]
- Towards a treatment for gluten intolerance on November 30, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Celiac disease is a severe autoimmune disorder of the intestine. It occurs when people develop sensitivity to gluten, a substance found in wheat, rye, and barley. Medical researchers have now uncovere... […]
- Coeliac Disease Is Not A Fad - And It's A Lot More Intense Than Having A Tummy Ache After A Bowl Of Pasta on November 22, 2018 at 11:19 pm
I heard gluten-free diets are really good for weight loss”, “so, how do you get rid of that disease then?”, “I’ve got that too but sometimes I just eat gluten and deal with the pain”. Anyone that utte... […]
- OSU joins effort to create a global monitoring system for crop diseases on November 22, 2018 at 8:14 am
The initial focus would fall on crops with strong international importance such as wheat, corn and rice, but as the surveillance system evolves, local crops could be added. “As you’re watching a syste... […]
- 3 foods to avoid for a healthier heart on November 22, 2018 at 1:18 am
Improving your diet lowers your risk for heart disease in many ways, including helping to lower high cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar and insulin levels, as well as preventing obesity and ... […]
via Google News and Bing News