AUSTRALIAN researchers have made a breakthrough in combatting a global stem rust strain threatening the world’s wheat crops
CSIRO post-doctoral fellow Sam Periyannan has cloned a stem rust resistance gene known as Sr33 which provides protection against all the known rust races prevalent throughout the world.
Importantly, it has shown moderate resistance to the Ug99 stem rust strain first discovered in Uganda and spreading through the Middle East and Indian subcontinent regions.
About 90 per cent of the world’s wheat varieties are believed to be susceptible to the Ug99 stem rust race.
CSIRO research group leader Mick Ayliffe said the Sr33 gene was found in goat grass, an ancient relative of wheat.
“The gene has been introduced into wheat using genetics and molecular biology techniques,” Dr Ayliffe said.
“And then Sam has cloned the gene.”
Dr Ayliffe said the cloned gene made it easier to identify how the resistance works against stem rust.
He said the cloned gene could be used as a marker by plant breeders to incorporate resistance into new wheat varieties.
The Latest on: Wheat disease
- 3 gluten-free cereals contaminated with gluten on February 19, 2019 at 12:19 pm
The FDA said people who have a wheat allergy, sensitivity to gluten or celiac disease, should not consume Envirokidz Choco Chimp with the “best before date” Aug. 27, 2019. Consumers should not eat Env... […]
- Nature's Path recalls kids' cereal due to undeclared gluten on February 19, 2019 at 11:33 am
The recalled products represent a week's production. People allergic to wheat, who have celiac disease, or a sensitivity to gluten and wheat are advised not to eat the recalled cereals due to potentia... […]
- Nature's Path recalls gluten-free kids' cereal due to undeclared gluten on February 19, 2019 at 11:30 am
The recalled products represent a week's production, she added. Those allergic to wheat, have celiac disease or sensitivity to gluten and wheat are advised not to eat the recalled cereals due to poten... […]
- Is Tofu Gluten-Free? on February 19, 2019 at 10:32 am
Tofu is a staple in vegetarian and vegan diets. Many types don’t contain gluten — a protein that those with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity can’t consume. However, certain varieties do ... […]
- Nature’s Path Foods Recalls More Than 400,000 Boxes Of Kids Gluten-Free Cereal on February 19, 2019 at 9:31 am
People with wheat allergies, Celiac disease and gluten sensitivity should not eat the affected cereals. Follow @WJZ on Twitter and like WJZ-TV | CBS Baltimore on Facebook […]
- What is Meat Glue, and Why is it Unsafe for People with Celiac Disease? on February 19, 2019 at 8:40 am
Transglutaminase is usually unlabeled and largely invisible to consumers. For people with celiac disease or gluten-intolerance, meat glue could be dangerous. Because it is functionally similar to the ... […]
- Researchers are once again trying to science the gluten out of bread on February 19, 2019 at 7:57 am
I used to work in an office where the majority of our team either had test-confirmed celiac disease, or through some form of self-reflection and personal experience had decided that they were gluten s... […]
- Healing grain: Scientists develop wheat that fights celiac disease on February 19, 2019 at 6:00 am
Researchers at Washington State University have created a new, genetically distinct variety of wheat that’s safer for people with celiac disease, opening the door for new treatments and healing potent... […]
- India’s food safety authority to set rules for gluten-free claims on February 19, 2019 at 3:42 am
“We have to ensure there is no cross contamination,” said Aggarwal. Once considered a Western disease, wheat intolerance has now become an ‘impending epidemic in India’ by health experts. A study publ... […]
- FDA: Gluten-free cereal recalled, may contain gluten on February 19, 2019 at 3:23 am
The products are in the EnviroKidz line. Specifically, the 10 oz. boxes of Choco Chimp, Gorilla Munch and Jungle Munch. Nature's Path says people with wheat allergies, celiac disease and gluten sensit... […]
via Google News and Bing News