As the wind sector continues to grow, the workers who inspect offshore turbines will need practical places to live.
The Wind Turbine Loft is a new kind of creative housing for this class of workers.
One day, wind turbines may not only power residential units. They’ll be residential units.
That’s the thinking behind the Wind Turbine Loft, an architectural project that seeks to create housing for the hordes of technicians who will some day need to monitor the well-being of offshore wind farms. This group is poised to become an increasingly important component of a post-oil energy sector.
Inspired by the Edgar Allan Poe poem “The City in the Sea,” mock-ups for the units show simple but spacious living accommodations complete with modern furniture, plants, natural lighting, and–of course–dazzling views of the heaving ocean and twirling turbines.
The project’s founders, Greta Dimitrova and Kiril Mandov of the Bulgarian architecture studio Morphocode, say that the current process of inspecting off-shore turbines for structural integrity and performance standards can mean turning off the turbines for several days at great expense. “The extreme height and the possibly short weather windows during which the whole inspection must be carried out make the task not only expensive but also risky for the safety of the support technicians,” they explain over email.
The Latest on: Wind Turbines
- Six companies supplying wind turbine parts to Zafarana wind farm in Egypt on February 19, 2019 at 4:45 am
New and Renewable Energy Authority has posed tenders to supply spare parts for about 700 wind power turbines in eight projects, according to the sources The New and Renewable Energy Authority (NREA) a... […]
- A wind farm is helping to power an oil refinery in Australia on February 19, 2019 at 4:22 am
The Mt Gellibrand wind farm consists of 44 turbines and has a capacity of up to 132 megawatts. Viva Energy's Geelong Refinery was constructed in 1954 and can refine 120,000 barrels of oil daily. The V... […]
- Six companies supplying wind turbine parts to Zafarana wind farm on February 19, 2019 at 4:09 am
The New and Renewable Energy Authority (NREA) assigned the supply of spare parts for wind turbine stations in the Zafarana area to six Arab and international companies. Sources said that the NREA ... […]
- EUROPE POWER-German prices up, French down on mixed fundamentals on February 19, 2019 at 3:25 am
FRANKFURT, Feb 19 (Reuters) - German prompt power prices rose on Tuesday on less wind power production and export demand from neighbouring countries, while those in France fell on higher nuclear power ... […]
- Wind Turbine Gear Oil Market History Breakdown Data from 2013 to 2019, and Forecast to 2025 - QY Research on February 19, 2019 at 2:18 am
Los Angeles, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 02/19/2019 -- Wind turbine gear oil is a lubricant used in the gearbox of a wind turbine to reduce the friction between the moving components in the gearbox.In terms of ... […]
- Change in wind energy bill would protect landowners on February 19, 2019 at 1:00 am
My priority bill, LB 155, was advanced to general file out of the Natural Resources Committee this week. I want to thank the chairman of this committee, Sen. Dan Hughes, for his help doing this. Since ... […]
- Wind energy supporters argue proposed bills raise red flags for future business in Oklahoma on February 18, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Two controversial wind energy bills that could be heard this legislative session calls for stripping companies' tax incentives and making them pay a new tax. Critics say the bills raise red flags for ... […]
- Erdman town hall comments center on wind energy bill on February 18, 2019 at 7:00 pm
BRIDGEPORT —Several constituents at Sen. Steve Erdman’s town hall Saturday at the Prairie Winds Community Center raised concerns about a bill introduced by Sen. Tom Brewer of Gordon, which would provi... […]
- AI detects potentially damaging ice on wind turbines on February 18, 2019 at 1:05 pm
Ice is the enemy of turbines everywhere. Some wind farms report energy production losses of up to 20 percent due to icing, according to Canadian wind-industry consultancy firm TechnoCentre ... […]
- Giant Wind Power Transmission Project Could Spark New Wind Rush In Wind Belt on February 18, 2019 at 10:11 am
Wow, anybody remember the Grain Belt Express? No? No wonder! The massive 700-mile wind power transmission project in the US Midwest has been on the boards since at least 2011. It got off to a ... […]
via Google News and Bing News