A new report ranks the world’s country not on their economic indicators, but on their ability to “safeguard the needs of its future generations.” The results might surprise you.
We normally judge which countries are “doing best” by looking at economic growth–a realm in which places like China and India thrive, despite their environmental and other problems. A more grounded approach might look at a range of factors, from a country’s energy mix to its democracy.
That’s what a new report from investment advisors RobecoSAM does, and the results are quite different from the standard narrative. The report takes into account 17 factors, ultimately finding that Sweden is the most sustainable country on Earth–meaning it’s best equipped for the future. And the least? That would be Nigeria, in 59th place, despite all that oil.
The factors include environmental (which accounts for 15% of scores, and includes things like renewable energy and emissions), social (25%; e.g. life expectancy, and level of worker unrest), and governance (60%; e.g. corruption and inequality). The aim: to provide a comprehensive picture of a “country’s ability to safeguard the needs of its future generations”.
The Latest on: An Uncertain Future
- DACA recipients still face uncertain future on September 18, 2018 at 10:54 pm
One year after President Donald Trump moved to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, students across the nation are continuing to feel the effects of the change. The Obama-era immigration policy ... […]
- Future for those living at Akron's 'Tent City' uncertain as city orders closure by Thanksgiving on September 18, 2018 at 5:42 pm
The future of Akron's homeless who have taken sanctuary at 'Tent City' is in question after city council voted to eliminate the campground at Monday's meeting. 'Tent City' has been ordered to shut dow... […]
- Bronson Park protesters, under threat of arrest, face uncertain future on September 18, 2018 at 3:31 pm
KALAMAZOO, MI -- People camping in Bronson Park and on Cedar Street are deciding whether to pack up their tents or face arrest. Carl Wiseman said he and around 30-40 people have chosen the latter, des... […]
- In The Powerful 'Deviation,' Luce D'Eramo Rejects Her Past And Faces An Uncertain Future on September 18, 2018 at 4:05 am
First published in 1979 and now released in English for the first time, D'Eramo's autobiographical novel details her harrowing experiences in... Luce D'Eramo's Deviation, first published in Italian in ... […]
- Report: Russell Wilson’s future with Seahawks ‘remains uncertain’ on September 17, 2018 at 9:41 am
A report Sunday from Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports stated the Seahawks and Wilson are not talking yet about an extension with a headline that the Seattle quarterback’s future “remains uncertain.” Tha... […]
- Facing uncertain future, Calistoga fair board acts to preserve activities on September 17, 2018 at 7:00 am
CALISTOGA — In an effort to maintain assets and ensure the continuation of fairground activities, the Napa County Fair Association (NCFA) board has assigned a transition coordinator to help ... […]
- ‘The Maria Generation’: Young people are dying and suffering on an island with a highly uncertain future on September 17, 2018 at 4:32 am
Her son cried out for help via text message on the morning of October 17, a month after Hurricane Maria wrecked this Caribbean island. “Where are you??” the 18-year-old wrote at 11:32 a.m. “Mami call ... […]
- Kavanaugh faces uncertain future after woman accuser breaks silence, Republicans worry in private about midterms on September 16, 2018 at 10:18 pm
We may be in a grey area when it comes to what’s next for the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court. After the allegations against Kavanaugh made by Christine Ford, the White House says ... […]
- Seahawks not talking contract extension with Russell Wilson as long-term future remains uncertain on September 16, 2018 at 5:20 am
Rival GMs believe the Seahawks could fetch three first-round picks for the All-Pro if put on the trade market At a time when a bevvy of NFL superstars have received record contract extensions, and aft... […]
- Trevor Bayne faces uncertain future as he looks for a ride on September 14, 2018 at 12:17 pm
LAS VEGAS — Former Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne is unsure of his future with the announcement this week that he won’t return to Roush Fenway Racing after this season. “I’ve called every ... […]
via Google News and Bing News