Researchers at the University of Alicante have developed a cementitious material incorporating carbon nanofibers in its composition, turning cement into an excellent conductor of electricity capable of performing functions beyond its usual structural function.
This new technology, developed and patented by the UA Civil Engineering Department’s Research Group in Multifunctional Concrete Conductors, allows, among other functions, the material to heat up due to the passage of current.
“The technology allows buildings’ premises to heat or prevents the formation of ice on infrastructure, such as highways, railways, roads, airstrips and other elements”, lecturer Pedro Garcés, head of research, explains.
“To obtain a cementitious compound effective as the heating element, this should have a low resistivity. This is not achieved in conventional concrete because they are poor conductors of electricity. However, this can be achieved by the addition of conductive materials such as, for example, carbonaceous materials”, Pedro Garcés adds.
In this way, a new conductive compound with much more interesting properties is achieved since it keeps the structural properties of concrete and does not compromise the durability of the structures themselves.
This new product has a great versatility, since any existing structure or surface can be coated with it, keeping thermal control in it by applying continuous electric current.
The Latest on: Cement
- Mega projects cement UAE's global lead on December 10, 2018 at 7:58 pm
UAE - With proper planning and implementation of mega projects, the UAE has cemented its leading global position, an official has said. Mattar Al Tayer, director-general and chairman of the board of e... […]
- Construction company's cement trucks get decked out for Christmas on December 10, 2018 at 6:55 pm
On the roads of North Jersey there's no surer sign of Christmas than Salomone Brothers construction company's cement mixers. There are 50,000 lights per truck, snow-making machines and music. […]
- Why Outlander's Costume Designers Find a Cement Mixer So Helpful on December 10, 2018 at 12:00 pm
With each new season of Outlander comes new locales. The show’s fourth season has transported Jamie (Sam Heughan) and Claire Fraser (Caitriona Balfe) to North Carolina in the 18th century, inviting th... […]
- Puneet Dalmia Spearheads Growth At Indian Cement Company on December 10, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. I write about Indian entrepreneurs. In 1999 - two years after joining his family cement business in Delhi, Puneet Dalmia proposed a $140 millio... […]
- Hey Look, More Cement Planters Designed to Displace Homeless Portlanders on December 10, 2018 at 11:44 am
As we enter the rainy season, hundreds of homeless Portlanders seek shelter in tents, cars, public warming shelters, a friend's couch, or under building overhangs. Many also bundle up beneath bridges ... […]
- Green Cement Market - The Biggest Trends to watch out for 2018-2025 on December 10, 2018 at 10:55 am
Green Cement market is expected to grow from $2.47 billion in 2016 to reach $7.83 billion by 2023 with a CAGR of 17.8%. Some of the factors propelling the market growth are raising demand for construc... […]
- Explore Cement & Concrete Additives market report for 2018 on December 10, 2018 at 5:27 am
Main manufacturers/suppliers of Cement & Concrete Additives worldwide, with company and product introduction, position in the Cement & Concrete Additives market Market status and development trend of ... […]
- Bauxite Cement Market 2018 Growth and Business Demand for top Manufacturing Industries: Almatis, RWC, Calucem, Cimsa, Kerneos, AGC Ceramics, Gorka on December 10, 2018 at 1:58 am
Global Info Reports render to you profound details in respect to leading participants, regions, application and type of the Bauxite Cement Market which is estimated to encounter substantial growth ove... […]
- Early election in Armenia set to cement revolution's power shift on December 8, 2018 at 12:21 pm
YEREVAN (Reuters) - Armenians vote on Sunday in an early parliamentary election initiated by acting Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan, who aims to bolster his authority after sweeping to power in a peace... […]
- Green Cement Sales Market All Sector 2017 Forecast to 2022 on December 6, 2018 at 9:14 pm
Green Cement Sales Market 2017 Research report contains a qualified and top to bottom analysis of Green Cement Sales Market. At first, the report furnishes current Green Cement Sales business circumst... […]
via Google News and Bing News