Researchers at the University of Alicante have developed a cementitious material incorporating carbon nanofibers in its composition, turning cement into an excellent conductor of electricity capable of performing functions beyond its usual structural function.
This new technology, developed and patented by the UA Civil Engineering Department’s Research Group in Multifunctional Concrete Conductors, allows, among other functions, the material to heat up due to the passage of current.
“The technology allows buildings’ premises to heat or prevents the formation of ice on infrastructure, such as highways, railways, roads, airstrips and other elements”, lecturer Pedro Garcés, head of research, explains.
“To obtain a cementitious compound effective as the heating element, this should have a low resistivity. This is not achieved in conventional concrete because they are poor conductors of electricity. However, this can be achieved by the addition of conductive materials such as, for example, carbonaceous materials”, Pedro Garcés adds.
In this way, a new conductive compound with much more interesting properties is achieved since it keeps the structural properties of concrete and does not compromise the durability of the structures themselves.
This new product has a great versatility, since any existing structure or surface can be coated with it, keeping thermal control in it by applying continuous electric current.
The Latest on: Cement
- Woman injured in crash with cement truck on February 20, 2019 at 11:14 am
A 24-year-old woman is hurt after an overnight crash in southeastern Kent County. Kent County dispatch tells us the call came in around 1:17 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 20. The woman's injuries are believ... […]
- Global White Cement Markets, 2011-2018 & 2019-2024 on February 20, 2019 at 8:45 am
DUBLIN, Feb. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "White Cement Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2019-2024" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offer... […]
- Crash involving cement truck, injures 1, shuts down intersection on February 20, 2019 at 3:49 am
CASCADE, Mich — Crews responded to the scene of an overturned cement truck at 60th and Patterson in Cascade Township Wednesday morning. The crash, which involved another vehicle, happened just before ... […]
- Cement truck involved in rollover crash in Cascade Twp. on February 20, 2019 at 1:53 am
A cement truck rolled on its side after crash in Cascade Township Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2019. A cement truck rolled on its side after crash in Cascade Township Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2019. CASCADE TOWNSHIP ... […]
- Cement truck involved in Kent County crash on February 20, 2019 at 1:39 am
KENT COUNTY, Mich. — Emergency crews are working to upright a cement truck that flipped on its side during a crash. It happened near the intersection of 60th and Patterson in Kent County shortly ... […]
- Al Rajhi: Saudi gigaprojects unlikely to stop cement demand cuts in 2019 on February 19, 2019 at 11:11 pm
Saudi Arabia's appetite for cement will continue to decline in 2019 with various high-profile megaprojects only likely to create incremental demand in the long-run, new research has revealed. Accordin... […]
- JSW Cement to invest Rs 2,000cr to take capacity to 20mt by’20 on February 19, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Mumbai, Feb 19 (PTI) JSW Cement, a part of the Sajjan Jindal-led JSW Group, plans to invest around Rs 2,000 crore to achieve the target of 20 million tonne annual capacity by December 2020, a top comp... […]
- Firefighters save dog trapped in wet cement in West Palm Beach on February 19, 2019 at 3:50 pm
WEST PALM BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - Firefighters came to the rescue of Benji the dog after she found herself stuck in wet cement. Palm Beach County Fire Rescue units jumped into action and chipped away ... […]
- Florida firefighters save pooch trapped in drying cement on February 19, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Palm Beach County Fire Rescue saved a dog trapped in quickly drying cement. According to the department's Facebook page, Benjamin, or Benji, had been struggling all day to get free. But the wet concre... […]
- UPDATE 1-HeidelbergCement upbeat on 2019 cement demand on February 18, 2019 at 11:27 pm
BERLIN, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Germany’s HeidelbergCement shrugged off concerns about trade wars and a disorderly Brexit to forecast higher demand for cement this year as rising deliveries of building mat... […]
via Google News and Bing News