A new use for glass is being developed by researchers in Penn State’s Materials Research Institute that could make future hybrid-electric and plug-in electric vehicles more affordable and reliable.
Thin and flexible glass for displays is already a widely commercialized technology. But even thinner glass, about one tenth the thickness of display glass, can be customized to store energy at high temperatures and for high power applications, such as electric vehicle power electronics, wind turbine generators, grid-tied photovoltaics, aerospace, and geothermal exploration and drilling.
In a recent paper in the new journal Energy Technology, postdoctoral researcher and lead author Mohan Manoharan and colleagues report on experiments with various alkali-free glass compositions and thicknesses, comparing their energy density and power density to commercial polymer capacitors currently used in electric vehicles to convert energy from the battery to the electric motor. Because polymer capacitors are designed to operate at lower temperatures, they require a separate cooling system and a larger safety factor, which adds to their bulk. In his research, Manoharan identified 10-micron thick glass from Nippon Electric Glass (NEG) as having an ideal combination of high energy density and power density, with high charge-discharge efficiency at temperatures up to 180 °C and, in more recent experiments, even higher.
Partnering with NEG leverages the investment of leading glass manufacturers in developing the processes to create continuous sheets of glass with less thickness and fewer defects. Working with State College-based Strategic Polymer Sciences, the researchers are developing the capability to produce inexpensive roll-to-roll glass capacitors with high energy density (35 J/cc3) and high reliability.
In work funded by the Department of Energy, Manoharan and the Penn State team led by Michael Lanagan, professor of engineering science and mechanics, are collaborating with Strategic Polymer Sciences to coat the glass with high temperature polymers that increase energy density by 2.25 times compared to untreated glass, and also significantly increase self-healing capabilities. Self-healing or graceful failure is an important consideration in applications where reliability is a critical factor.
“These flexible glass capacitors will reduce weight and cost if replacing polypropylene capacitors,” Manoharan said. “They could be used in any high energy density capacitor application – not only in electric vehicles, but in heart defibrillators or weapons systems such as the electric railgun the navy is developing.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Eos Energy Storage Expands Sales and Installation Channels with Babcock & Wilcox Partnershipon October 13, 2020 at 7:08 am
Eos Energy Storage LLC ("Eos"), a leading manufacturer of safe, low-cost and long-duration zinc battery storage systems, today announced that it has entered into an agreement with Babcock & Wilcox ("B ...
- Aggreko Picks FlexGen Energy Storage System to Power Up Siberian Drilling Opson October 13, 2020 at 6:42 am
FlexGen, a leading energy storage integrator, delivered a Solid State Generator (SSG) energy storage system to Aggreko to power up Siberian drilling rigs and reduce costs while greening operations.
- The perfect angle for e-skin energy storageon October 13, 2020 at 5:36 am
Researchers at DGIST have found an inexpensive way to fabricate tiny energy storage devices that can effectively power flexible and wearable skin sensors along with other electronic devices, paving ...
- Babcock & Wilcox inks global partnership for battery solution with Eos Energy Storageon October 13, 2020 at 3:40 am
(NYSE:BW), through its B&W Renewable segment, has signed an agreement with Eos Energy Storage, to sell and service Eos’ innovative, patented Eos Znyth® zinc battery solution for industrial and utility ...
- Babcock & Wilcox Renewable Announces Global Partnership for Battery Solutions with Eos Energy Storageon October 13, 2020 at 3:35 am
Babcock & Wilcox has signed a strategic partnership agreement with Eos Energy Storage LLC, to sell and service Eos Znyth zinc battery solution.
- California Energy Commission Awards $1.2 Million to Company for Long-Duration Energy Storage Solutionon October 12, 2020 at 10:57 am
Indian Energy LLC, a utility-scale and microgrid development and systems integration firm, was awarded $1.2 million by the California Energy Commission (CEC) to demonstrate a non-lithium ion, ...
- Duke Energy (DUK) Announces Long-Term Clean Energy Planon October 12, 2020 at 9:11 am
Duke Energy Corp. DUK recently unveiled its long-term investment plan along with increasing its current five-year capital target and clean energy projections at the company’s inaugural environmental, ...
- Global Off-grid Energy Storage System Market by Research Methodology and COVID-19 Footprint(2021-2030)| EnerSys, SAFT, Sonnenon October 11, 2020 at 11:29 pm
Ltd :The Global Off-grid Energy Storage System Market Financial Information, Developments Forecast Along Impact Analysis of COVID-19 (2021-2030) report has been added to the market.us analysts ...
- Thermal Energy Storage Market Worth $369 Million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets™on October 8, 2020 at 7:39 am
Thermal energy storage, in the form of sensible heat, is based on the specific heat of a storage medium, which is kept in storage tanks with high thermal insulation. The most widely used and ...
- Global energy storage capacity predicted to surge every year in 2020son October 8, 2020 at 12:42 am
Research firm predicts U.S. and China will drive global growth in cumulative capacity, which should top 740 GWh by the end of the decade.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Glass for energy storage
- Industry layoffs threaten the green energy fairy taleon October 11, 2020 at 9:00 pm
The clock is striking midnight. The green energy movement is about to lose its gleaming white steeds and glass slipper-wearing princess and turn back into an unimpressive pumpkin.
- Metallic Glass: One Step Closer to Solving a Major Problem of Hydrogen Energyon October 9, 2020 at 5:00 pm
A team of scientists from Far Eastern Federal University (FEFU) together with their colleagues from Austria, Turkey, Slovakia, Russia (MISIS, MSU), and the UK found a way to hydrogenate thin metallic ...
- Scientists find a solution to a major problem of hydrogen energyon October 1, 2020 at 5:03 am
In today technology news, we covered about the Scientists find a solution to a major problem of hydrogen energy ...
- Scientists got one step closer to solving a major problem of hydrogen energyon September 29, 2020 at 8:41 am
Metallic glass has the potential to replace palladium, an expensive element that is currently used in hydrogen systems. The lack of economically feasible energy storage systems is the main ...
- Chinese PV Industry Brief: Big solar-plus-hydrogen, 200 MW of floating PV and higher PV glass priceson September 29, 2020 at 4:43 am
Chinese inverter manufacturer Sungrow has signed an agreement with Yuncheng City, Shanxi Province, for a huge clean energy demonstration project combining PV power stations, storage, solar-powered ...
- Best water geysers for homes in Indiaon September 29, 2020 at 2:34 am
It is 4-star rated for energy efficiency ... The AO Smith HSE-VAS-X-015 Storage 15 Litre Vertical Water Heater is equipped with a 2000 Watts glass coated heating element. It features a compact ...
- Interview with CEO, Pakistan Green Building Councilon September 27, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Aqrab is also Pakistan’s first LEED-accredited consultant (LEED is the US Green Building Council’s globally renowned certification for energy efficient ... I see the glass as half full.
- Radioactive wastewater successfully taken from SRS, sent to Texas for disposalon September 25, 2020 at 2:37 pm
where nuclear sludge is encased in glass, rendering it safer for long-term storage and handling – represents the first real-world application of the Energy Department’s revised definition of ...
- New stained glass windows made for St Luke's Church, Cliftonon September 22, 2020 at 4:43 am
better storage space, a corridor link to the church and full disabled access, said the vicar, Jackie Doyle-Brett. “It will meet modern building regulations and be much more energy efficient and ...
- NTPC plans industrial parks at power plants, invites EoIson September 22, 2020 at 3:15 am
State-run NTPC Ltd wants to attract energy-intensive manufacturing units ... tiles, pottery, brick, glass etc.), metallurgical and metal industries (foundries, forging, alloys, heat treatment ...