NVIDIA has collaborated with a research team at Stanford University to create the world’s largest artificial neural network built to model how the human brain learns. The network is 6.5 times bigger than the previous record-setting network developed by Google in 2012.
Computer-based neural networks are capable of “learning” how to model the behavior of the brain –- including recognizing objects, characters, voices and audio in the same way that humans do.
Yet creating large-scale neural networks is extremely computationally expensive. For example, Google used approximately 1,000 CPU-based servers, or 16,000 CPU cores, to develop its neural network, which taught itself to recognize cats in a series of YouTube videos. The network included 1.7 billion parameters, the virtual representation of connections between neurons.
In contrast, the Stanford team, led by Andrew Ng, director of the university’s Artificial Intelligence Lab, created an equally large network with only three servers using NVIDIA GPUs to accelerate the processing of the big data generated by the network. With 16 NVIDIA GPU-accelerated servers, the team then created an 11.2 billion-parameter neural network — 6.5 times bigger than a network Google announced in 2012.
The bigger and more powerful the neural network, the more accurate it is likely to be in tasks such as object recognition, enabling computers to model more human-like behavior. A paper on the Stanford research was published at the International Conference on Machine Learning.
“Delivering significantly higher levels of computational performance than CPUs, GPU accelerators bring large-scale neural network modeling to the masses,” said Sumit Gupta, general manager of the Tesla Accelerated Computing Business Unit at NVIDIA. “Any researcher or company can now use machine learning to solve all kinds of real-life problems with just a few GPU-accelerated servers.”
GPU Accelerators Power Machine Learning
Machine learning, a fast-growing branch of the artificial intelligence (AI) field, is the science of getting computers to act without being explicitly programmed. In the past decade, machine learning has given us self-driving cars, effective web search and a vastly improved understanding of the human genome. Many researchers believe that it is the best way to make progress towards human-level AI.
The Latest Bing News on:
Artificial neural network
- Researchers develop new model of the brain's real-life neural networkson October 13, 2020 at 8:23 am
Physical Systems Group at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering, in conjunction with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, have developed a new model of how information deep in the brain ...
- Global Artificial Intelligence Market (2020 to 2026) - Bringing AI to Edge Devices Presents Opportunitieson October 13, 2020 at 5:08 am
Market by Technology (Machine learning, Natural Language Processing, Context Aware Computing, Computer Vision), Hardware (Processor, Memory, Network), End-User Industry, and Region - Global Forecast ...
- Intrusion of AI and deep neural networks opened new perspectives in detecting terrorismon October 13, 2020 at 2:12 am
Emerging applications of AI such as machine learning, Artificial Neural network (ANN), facial recognition features, social network analysis and edge analysis are combating terrorism at a new level.
- USA receives grant to research using artificial intelligence to forecast the weatheron October 12, 2020 at 2:36 pm
Meteorologists such as our First Alert Storm Team use computer models to help them forecast the weather. The University of South Alabama along with four other universities received a $5 million ...
- The state of AI in 2020: Biology and healthcare's AI moment, ethics, predictions, and graph neural networkson October 12, 2020 at 7:46 am
Research and industry breakthroughs, ethics, and predictions. This is what AI looks like today, and what it's likely to look like tomorrow.
- UMD researchers use artificial intelligence language tools to decode molecular movementson October 9, 2020 at 2:10 am
University of Maryland researchers used language processing AI to turn molecular movements into stories that reveal what forms a protein can take and how and when it changes form--key information for ...
- Maxim Integrated's Neural Network Accelerator Chip Enables IoT Artificial Intelligence in Battery-Powered Deviceson October 7, 2020 at 5:00 am
PRNewswire/ -- The MAX78000 low-power neural network accelerated microcontroller from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) moves ...
- Column: Artificial Intelligence Makes Big Leaps, With Biggest to Comeon October 6, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Here’s an interesting story for you. It’s about the role games have played in the development of artificial intelligence (AI), which today is nearly ubiquitous.
- Teledyne DALSA releases powerful suite of image processing and artificial intelligence softwareon October 6, 2020 at 5:08 am
New version of Sapera Software Suite brings exciting AI capabilities Teledyne DALSA's Sapera Software Suite New Sapera Software Suite offers image processing and AI functions to design, develop and ...
- Designing biological-inspired artificial intelligenceon October 5, 2020 at 9:57 am
For decades artificial intelligence (AI) researchers have turned to the brain for inspiration but the mechanisms by which neurons create or suppress ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Artificial neural network
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Next Generation Of Artificial Intelligenceon October 12, 2020 at 6:28 pm
What will the next generation of artificial intelligence look like? Which novel AI approaches will unlock currently unimaginable possibilities in technology and business? This article highlights three ...
- Samsung to hold annual AI forum onlineon October 7, 2020 at 12:26 am
Samsung Electronics said that it will hold the fourth edition of its Samsung AI Forum 2020 online via its YouTube channel on November 2 and 3. The forum gathers world-renowned academics and industry ...
- Samsung AI Forum 2020 takes place next monthon October 6, 2020 at 7:37 am
... AI faces in tackling real-world issues such as a pandemic or climate change; and whether humans need human-level AI, among other topics. You can find out more information about the Samsung AI ...
- Why are AI and Cloud Accounting the way to go?on October 6, 2020 at 3:31 am
Do you know how beneficial AI and the cloud can be for your accounting business? Why are they considered to be inevitable for an industry?
- CINC Goes All In on Lead Engagement and Conversion with the Introduction of CINC AIon October 5, 2020 at 9:13 am
CINC AI has been trained by real estate experts to truly connect at a human level with homebuyers. "What we've been able to do with CINC AI is create human empathy at scale," says Jonathan Choi ...
- CINC Goes All In on Lead Engagement and Conversion with the Introduction of CINC AIon October 5, 2020 at 9:00 am
CINC ( the number one lead generation and conversion platform for elite agents and teams, today announced the release of the industry’s most innovative communication tool: CINC AI. Built with ...
- Robot named 'Curly' uses AI to beat one of the world's best curling teams at their own gameon September 30, 2020 at 7:27 am
Artificial intelligence-driven machines have already ... Here, we report a curling robot that can achieve human-level performance in the game of curling using an adaptive DRL framework.' ...
- Cogniac Raises $10M in Series B Financingon September 29, 2020 at 4:31 pm
offering enterprise-class AI-based deep learning solutions that automates visual inspection tasks like classifying, detecting, counting and measuring to human level accuracy and beyond.