We’ve already seen the Solar Kettle, which uses heat from the sun to boil water.
Now we have a product called SolSource that also harnesses the sun’s heat, but instead of boiling water, it can cook anything you would put on a regular grill.
The team at One Earth Designs began working on this product with a group of nomads in the Himalayas. It went through 13 prototypes before it ultimately arrived at its final design.
SolSource looks much like a satellite dish. The user points the metallic surface towards the sun, and it reflects the heat back to the cooking surface, thus making it hot enough for cooking. The team claims it is able to cook a burger in about six minutes, which is about the same amount of time it would take on a charcoal or propane grill.
In addition to grilling burgers and other standard grill food, SolSource can be used to bake, fry and boil, which means that in the right weather conditions, it can be the primary cooking device for a household. An additional key fact pointed out by the designers is that SolSource doesn’t create any emissions.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Storage gives boost to solar energyon October 13, 2020 at 10:12 am
The latest concentrated solar power projects, combined with energy storage, promise to make a significant contribution to the renewable energy effort.
- Greenlight seeks financing to support solar power expansionon October 13, 2020 at 7:44 am
African utilties can set solar consumer finance on a more sustainable path that doesn’t involve continual fundraising.
- After 15 Years of Effort, Maharashtra Man Helps Turn Tribal Village to Solar Poweron October 13, 2020 at 7:07 am
Chaitram Pawar from Baripada village near Dhule has spearheaded multiple initiatives to promote solar lights, water pumps and cookers in the hamlet ...
- Data | Less than 3% of India’s energy needs met by hydro, solar, wind and nuclear sourceson October 13, 2020 at 4:29 am
More than 54%* of India’s energy needs were met by coal production in FY19. The country’s energy needs were met overwhelmingly by coal and other fossil fuels; only less than 3% were met by renewable ...
- Geraldine man seeks used vegetable cooking oil to keep his motor runningon October 12, 2020 at 5:22 pm
A Geraldine man who has fuelled his vehicles with used vegetable cooking oil since 2004 is on the hunt for new suppliers. Sven Johnston, who teaches natural building and straw-build construction, said ...
- NGO: Provide solar power for all rural folkon October 11, 2020 at 5:23 pm
All one million natives living in rural Sarawak must be given free solar-powered generator sets that can provide 24-hour electricity supply, says a native rights group.
- Ever Energy: Solar farm developments across the Hunter aim to drive down power priceson October 6, 2020 at 9:25 pm
The Hunter has been flagged as a desirable region to produce more solar power, with a Queensland energy company targeting unused land, including property affected by PFAS.
- 5 questions for candidates for Cook County MWRDon October 6, 2020 at 12:29 pm
The Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago is a lesser known Cook County governmental body, but its mission is critically important: to protect the water supply of Lake Michigan ...
- NSW Government solar panel project for social housing providing financial freedom to regional pensionerson October 4, 2020 at 12:24 pm
The rollout of solar panels on 5,000 social housing properties is reducing power bills for people on low incomes.
- Orange County fugitives arrested in connection with Indian Harbour Beach solar roof scamon October 4, 2020 at 8:46 am
In September 2016, prosecutors obtained arrest warrants for Orlando resident Leandro Obenauer, 51, and his associate/girlfriend, Miriam Torres, 67.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Weekon June 1, 2017 at 12:41 pm
Grill, saute, stir fry, even deep fry at the campsite without any flame. One Earth Designs’ SolSource Sport solar cooking system is a more portable successor to the original SolSource.
- Ask Eartha: Break out the grill for Labor Day: Charcoal or propane?on September 2, 2016 at 11:07 am
consider the SolSource Solar Grill by One Earth Designs. It heats up five times faster than charcoal (literally in minutes) and only requires direct sun, so keep your fingers crossed it’s a ...