Research by Indiana University environmental scientists shows that air-pollution-removal technology used in “self-cleaning” paints and building surfaces may actually cause more problems than they solve.
The study finds that titanium dioxide coatings, seen as promising for their role in breaking down airborne pollutants on contact, are likely in real-world conditions to convert abundant ammonia to nitrogen oxide, the key precursor of harmful ozone pollution.
“As air quality standards become more stringent, people are going to be thinking about other technologies that can reduce pollution,” said Jonathan D. Raff, assistant professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IU Bloomington and an author of the study. “Our research suggests that this may not be one of them.”
“Photooxidation of Ammonia on TiO2 as a Source of NO and NO2 under Atmospheric Conditions” is being published by the Journal of the American Chemical Society and is available online. Other authors include SPEA doctoral students Mulu Kebede and Nicole Scharko, Mychel Varner of the University of California-Irvine and R. Benny Gerber of UC-Irvine and the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.
The researchers calculate that, in areas where the titanium dioxide technology is used, ammonia degradation could account for up to 13 percent of the nitrogen oxides in the immediate vicinity. This suggests that widespread use of the technology could contribute significantly to ozone formation.
The findings are timely because the Environmental Protection Agency is developing stricter regulations for ground-level ozone, a primary component in photochemical smog. The pollution is linked to serious health problems, including breathing difficulties and heart and lung disease.
Ozone is produced by reactions involving nitrogen oxides (NOx), which come primarily from motor vehicle emissions, and volatile organic compounds resulting from industrial processes. Equipping cars with catalytic converters has been effective at reducing ozone in urban areas. But different technologies may be needed to meet tighter air-quality standards of the future.
The need has sparked interest in titanium dioxide, a common mineral that is used as a whitening agent in paints and surface coatings. The compound acts as a photocatalyst, breaking down nitrogen oxides, ammonia and other pollutants in the presence of sunlight. “Self-cleaning” surfaces coated with titanium dioxide can break down chemical grime that will otherwise adhere to urban buildings. News stories have celebrated “smog-eating” tiles and concrete surfaces coated with the compound.
But Raff and his colleagues show that, in normal environmental conditions, titanium dioxide also catalyzes the incomplete breakdown of ammonia into nitrogen oxides. Ammonia is an abundant constituent in motor vehicle emissions, and its conversion to nitrogen oxides could result in increases in harmful ozone concentrations.
“We show that uptake of atmospheric NH3 (ammonia) onto surfaces containing TiO2 (titanium dioxide) is not a permanent removal process, as previously thought, but rather a photochemical route for generating reactive oxides of nitrogen that play a role in air pollution and are associated with significant health effects,” the authors write.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Secluded mansion with its own private beach on the outskirts of locked-down Melbourne sells for more than $4.5millionon September 22, 2020 at 1:10 am
The backyard includes a self cleaning pool, sleek undercover terrace, and outdoor shower, and, of course, that private beach.
- You don’t want this ingredient in your brownies; Porcelain lining can chip off in some ovens; ‘It’s a huge concern’on September 21, 2020 at 12:34 pm
“My concern is that these little particles of the paint are flying around in our ... manual that the porcelain could crack during the self-cleaning cycle. “I don’t understand why they ...
- 9 Amazing Portraits That Changed Arton September 18, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The artist studied his subjects so intensely that he could not paint them in one fell swoop, but sometimes needed them to pose over 100 times. (For Geffroy’s portrait, Cezanne took three months.) ...
- Nissan's new self-cleaning caron September 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm
If you fall into the second category, you’ll be pleased to hear that Nissan engineers in Europe are currently testing a new kind of ‘self-cleaning’ paint, capable of repelling everything ...
- Here’s How Offices Are Adapting to Keep Workers Safeon September 16, 2020 at 10:29 am
As employees start to return to their offices amid the coronavirus pandemic, companies are looking for ways to virus-proof their spaces. Here are some of the ways companies are approaching the issue.
- Making Offices Safe for Workers, and Making Money Doing Iton September 15, 2020 at 3:03 am
The office now includes features such as antimicrobial paint, UV-light disinfection systems, self-cleaning toilets and a quarantine room if someone suddenly shows symptoms or tests positive ...
- Hydrophobic coatings Market Size to Reach USD 2 Billion by 2024on September 15, 2020 at 12:28 am
Top Key Players – BASF SE, Drywired, PPG, 3M, Nippon Paint Holdings Co. Ltd., NeverWet ... extended life expectancy of the coating as well as self-cleaning properties. Hydrophobic coatings ...
- American Standard Walk-in Bathson August 16, 2020 at 6:18 pm
specific combo and whirlpool models also include ozone self-cleaning sanitation systems that aid the unit is running efficiently and cleanly. In addition to massage jets, combo tubs users can also ...
- Emerald Rain Refresh Exterior Acrylic Latexon June 23, 2020 at 9:42 pm
Emerald Rain Refresh Exterior Acrylic Latex with Self-Cleaning Technology is an innovative coating ... Emerald Rain Refresh can be tinted in VinylSafe paint colors, allowing customers to select from a ...
- Self-cleaning mask kills virus, say scientistson June 17, 2020 at 1:22 am
Self-cleaning mask kills virus, say scientists Posted Israeli researchers say they have invented a reusable face mask that can disinfect itself and kill viruses using an internal heat source.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Anti-Microbial Coatings Market to Garner $11.6 Billion, Globally, By 2027 at 13.3% CAGR, Says Allied Market Researchon October 12, 2020 at 6:30 am
Microbial Coatings Market by Type (Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Viral, Anti-Fungal, and Others), Coating Material (Silver, Copper, Graphene, Titanium Dioxide, and Others), Application (Protective Clothing, ...
- European Parliament Calls on EC to Ban Titanium Dioxide (E171) in Foodon October 7, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The European Parliament (EP) announced on October 8, 2020, that it objected to a European Commission (EC) proposal to amend the specification for the use of titanium dioxide (E171) in food p ...
- Lighting the path to recycling carbon dioxideon October 6, 2020 at 4:56 am
Semiconductive photocatalysts that efficiently absorb solar energy could reduce the energy required to drive a bioelectrochemical process that converts CO2 emissions into valuable chemicals, KAUST ...
- OEHHA’s DARTIC Will Discuss Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles at December Meetingon October 5, 2020 at 2:25 pm
The Developmental and Reproductive Toxicant Identification Committee (DARTIC) of California’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) will meet on December 10, 20 ...
- Venator Announces Update on Louisiana Pigment Company and SK Capital Transactionon September 28, 2020 at 9:21 am
WYNYARD, UK, Sept. 28, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Venator Materials PLC (NYSE: VNTR) ("Venator") today announced that Louisiana Pigment Company, L.P. ("LPC"), its joint ...
- Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) Market Size and Share 2020 Trends, Future Demands, Growth Factors, Emerging Technologies, Global Industry Forecast to 2023on September 24, 2020 at 10:05 pm
Market”research provides actionable intelligence on major parameters impacting the market, analyses the market performance of key companies, market dynamics of key segments, outlines the market ...
- Titanium Dioxide Market 2020E Report Including Covid-19 Impact Analysis And Forecast Till 2026E: Facts & Factorson September 23, 2020 at 1:01 am
Facts and Factors market research publisher releases a new research report on “New Survey Update Available in Titanium Dioxide Market size & Share 2020 Analysis and Industry Forecast till 2026”.
- The 7 Best Mineral Sunscreens For Faceson September 19, 2020 at 3:02 am
All mineral (or physical) sunscreens contain the active ingredients zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide, and are typically well-tolerated by most skin types. But the best mineral sunscreens for ...
- Global Titanium Dioxide Market Set for Remarkable Growth, To Grow at a Lucarative CAGR - Zion Market Researchon September 18, 2020 at 2:13 am
Zion Market Research Reports added Latest Research Report titled “Global Titanium Dioxide Market Set for Remarkable Growth, To Grow at a Lucarative CAGR - Zion Market Research″ to its Large ...
- Worldwide Photocatalytic Coatings Industry (2020 to 2027) - Latest Product and Technology Developmentson September 16, 2020 at 11:37 am
DUBLIN, Sept. 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The "The Global Market for Photocatalytic Coatings 2020" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Photocatalytic self-cleaning coatings ...