Certainly one of the more intriguing things on display at this year’s Paris Air Show, the Sherpa by Belgian startup Sagita aims to make the helicopter simpler, more efficient, more reliable and more affordable.
The helicopter’s rotors are directly driven by turbines which are themselves powered by hot air and fumes from the helicopter’s power plant. Sagita claims that this makes the the aircraft approximately 85 percent efficient while doing away with the need for a tail rotor.
The Sherpa’s propulsion system bears explaining a little more fully. Rather than driving the rotors directly, the Sherpa’s engine instead powers a compressor with an air intake at the rear of the helicopter. That compressor feeds some of its air to the engine to aid combustion, while the rest draws heat from the Sherpa’s cooling system before being mixed with engine exhaust fumes to heat the air to 100º C (212º F). The compressed hot air drives two turbines which directly drive the Sherpa’s two contra-rotating rotors.
Sagita claims that no additional cooling measures are required, and that because fewer moving parts are needed overall, maintenance is reduced.
The two-seater’s distinctive bullet-shaped fuselage comes as a result of the air intake to the rear, needed to supply the compressor with air. The cockpit is about 1.45 m (4.8 ft) wide and 1.26 m (4.1 ft) high. The Sherpa’s nose-to-tail length, excluding rotors, is just under 4.8 m (15.8 ft).
The 1:1 scale Sherpa on show in Paris is just a model, and at this stage the helicopter’s performance is theoretical. However, Sagita says that the 260 kg (573 lb) helicopter can lift an additional 171 kg (377 lb) of load. It has an expected cruise speed of 158 km/h (85 knots), range of 400 km (250 miles) and a maximum flight time of 3 hours. Its ceiling is 2,000 m (6,600 ft).
The Latest Bing News on:
- Classic Aero-TV: An Ultralight Mainstay – A Kolb Aircraft OSH16 Updateon October 12, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Downs met up with Bryan Melborn, the owner and CEO of the Kolb Aircraft Company. Kolb aircraft was one of the early entries into the ultralight business in the 1980s and they are still going strong.
- ALERT A small and ultralight aircraft have collided midair in Franceon October 10, 2020 at 12:36 pm
Five people have died after two small planes crashed mid-air in France. An ultralight two-person plane collided midair with a tourist plane in Loches, Indre-et-Loire at around 4.45pm local time. The ...
- 2 men die in ultralight aircraft crash near Evansvilleon October 6, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Two men were killed when an ultralight aircraft crashed Tuesday in southwestern Indiana, according to authorities. The Posey County coroner's office identifies the victims as William Rohland, 75, of ...
- Pilot Killed When Ultra Light Aircraft Crashes Near Hawthorne Airporton October 4, 2020 at 3:42 pm
One person was killed Sunday when an ultra light aircraft crashed in a flood channel adjacent to the Jack Northrop Field/Hawthorne Municipal Airport. The aircraft was described as a single-engine ...
- One Person Killed in Ultra Light Aircraft Crash in Hawthorneon October 4, 2020 at 10:26 am
One person was killed today when an ultra light aircraft crashed in a flood channel adjacent to the Jack Northrop Field/Hawthorne Municipal Airport. The aircraft was described as a single-engine ...
- Global Ultralight and Light Sport Aircraft Market Report Examines Top Company Analysis Forecast by 2029on September 30, 2020 at 5:54 am
Market.us delivers granular analysis of Ultralight and Light Sport Aircraft Market Strategic Assessment and Forecast 2020-2029, which includes global industry analysis, key market trends, vendor ...
- Ultralight and Light Aircraft Market 2019 Global Analysis, Research, Review, Applications and Forecast to 2025on September 28, 2020 at 4:48 am
Market Research Engine is a global market research and consulting organization. We provide market intelligence in emerging, niche technologies and markets. Our market analysis powered by rigorous ...
- Ultralight Helicopters Market May Set New Growth Story | CH-7 Heli-Sport, Dragon Fly Helicopters, CoaX Helicopterson September 25, 2020 at 4:58 am
A new business intelligence report released by HTF MI with title "Global Ultralight Helicopters Market Report 2015-2026, Market Size, Competitive Landscape, Regional Outlook and COVID-19 Impact ...
- 2 dead after ultralight aircraft crashes on Texas interstateon September 24, 2020 at 3:14 pm
HARKER HEIGHTS, Texas (AP) — Two men died after their ultralight aircraft crashed on an interstate in front of a hospital in Central Texas on Thursday, authorities said. Texas Department of ...
- 2 Dead After Ultralight Aircraft Crashes on Texas Interstateon September 24, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Washko said the two men aboard the Quicksilver MX II Sprint aircraft were taken to Seton Medical Center Harker Heights, where they were pronounced dead. Washko said the two men who were killed ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Army Concludes Investigation of Helicopter During DC Proteston October 13, 2020 at 2:41 pm
The Army Secretary says an investigation into the use of a military helicopter on civilian protesters in D.C. is now under DOD review.
- Police K-9, Helicopter Help Nab Two Armed Robbery Suspects In Fremonton October 13, 2020 at 1:04 pm
Police in Fremont arrested two armed-robbery suspects Monday night with help from a K-9 officer and a San Jose Police Department helicopter, authorities said.
- This remote island hotel is only accessible by boat or helicopteron October 13, 2020 at 5:29 am
This hotel with a spectacular lighthouse in Sweden can be the perfect destination for digital detox ⛱🚤🇸🇪 For more: paternoster.se ...
- COVID-19 Unlock 5: Kedarnath Resumes Its Helicopter Service After a Long Gapon October 13, 2020 at 5:27 am
Kedarnath is one of the holy cities in India. It has gained importance because of the popular and magnificent Kedarnath temple, which is among significant pilgrimage sites in India. As per the ...
- The Coolest Track Battle In Ages Is an Airbus ACH160 Helicopter Chasing a Renault F1 Caron October 12, 2020 at 7:18 pm
Car vs. car? Pfft, we see that in races every weekend. Here's a helicopter test pilot hunting down F1 driver Daniel Ricciardo.
- Clark Public Utilities tests helicopter inspectionson October 12, 2020 at 3:34 pm
This summer’s record-breaking spate of West Coast wildfires has put a renewed focus on the risks of high-voltage transmission lines in remote areas and the role that utility companies play in securing ...
- Helicopter To Fly Low Over Midtown Manhattan Mondayon October 12, 2020 at 11:30 am
A helicopter will fly low over Midtown and Lower Manhattan for about four hours Monday for a filming project, police said.
- Oligarch Has Only Coughed Up Second-Hand Helicopter After Record Divorce Settlementon October 12, 2020 at 10:55 am
Tatiana Akhmedova was awarded $590 million by British courts in a record 2016 divorce settlement. Her ex-husband, Farkhad, is using every trick in the book to avoid paying up.
- Maryland Scuttles Plan to Close State Police Helicopter Baseon October 12, 2020 at 8:13 am
Gov. Larry Hogan has announced that state officials will no longer consider plans to close a Maryland State Police helicopter base.
- Helicopter, dog aid search for Southbury suspectson October 11, 2020 at 8:30 am
Southbury Police posted on Facebook after calls and questions about a helicopter hovering above town. State Police and Southbury Police stopped a westbound vehicle, when the driver and passenger fled, ...