On most aircraft ice-detection systems, the sensors can’t be located right on the aerofoil surfaces that most need to be kept ice-free – the addition of a protruding sensor would ruin their aerodynamics.
Now, however, UK-based GKN Aerospace has announced the new ON-WINGS system. It mounts completely flush with the skin of the aircraft, allowing it to be integrated directly onto wings, rotor blades, or anyplace else that needs to be kept sleek and free of ice.
Ice sensing is performed by optical fibers in a sensing head, that runs along the length of the surface in question. These fibers emit light, plus they measure how much of that light is reflected back to them by any ice present. Using this feedback system, they are able to determine “the precise type, severity, thickness and location of any ice as it develops.”
The sensor subsequently notifies the aircraft’s existing electro-thermal ice protection system, so it can precisely and thoroughly melt away the ice where and when needed.
The Latest Bing News on:
Aircraft wing ice detection
- The Nuclearization of American Diplomacyon October 13, 2020 at 2:01 am
Like other B-52 sorties near its airspace, that foray prompted the rapid scrambling of Russian interceptor aircraft ... distinctive flying-wing design, was the first US bomber built with “stealth” ...
- America's increasingly busy bombers are sending a nuclear message to Russia and Chinaon October 12, 2020 at 9:36 am
The US bomber fleet has been increasingly active, flying closer and closer to sensitive areas over Europe and the Pacific.
- Watch Selena Gomez and Her Makeup Artist Hung Vanngo Try Her Brand New Eyeshadow Paletteson October 8, 2020 at 1:51 pm
In an ELLE.com exclusive video, Selena Gomez and longtime makeup artist Hung Vanngo are here to show us how Rare Beauty's first-ever eyeshadow palettes work. The duo took the palettes for a test drive ...
- Metal Fatigue Caused Airbus A380 Engine Breakup, BEA Sayson October 4, 2020 at 5:00 pm
The BEA’s final report on an Air France-operated Airbus A380 accident is a striking example of how rewarding it can be to conduct an investigation to the end, despite the high costs. The findings by ...
- Accidents: October 2020on October 1, 2020 at 5:30 am
Preliminary and final accident reports ...
- Town of Bashaw working on pandemic protocols for arenaon September 25, 2020 at 8:48 am
Fuller also noted pandemic rules include a limit of 50 people on the ice surface. Town foreman Murray Holroyd reported ... almost certainly ending up as a narcotics detection dog.More from CBC P.E.I.
- 'Of one thing we can be certain, the fires will return': Greg Mullins' global warningon September 17, 2020 at 11:02 pm
In August, the inquiry made 76 recommendations, including faster detection of fires ... with Elvis helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft like 737s and C130 Hercules carrying 1500 litres of water ...
- Fire and Iceon September 4, 2020 at 8:00 pm
50-caliber rounds and an unexploded 500-pound bomb, each marked with yellow warning flags, and headed toward the flattened tail of a wrecked aircraft ... the airplane stayed level. Wings heavy with ...
- The United States Navy's Powerful Fleeton May 21, 2020 at 2:06 am
The USS Alexandria was participating in exercises under an Arctic Ocean ice floe with the Trafalgar class submarine ... The impressive ship carries 90 fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. She was the ...
- FM 34-81: Weather Support for Army Operationson September 11, 2017 at 8:09 pm
These disadvantages may be offset partially by extensive use of illuminatives, radar, sound detection ... obscurants limit the use of aircraft and aerial optical and infrared surveillance devices.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Aircraft wing ice detection
The Latest Bing News on:
- Trump administration study finds climate change, oil drilling could threaten polar bearson October 13, 2020 at 1:30 pm
The study highlights the endangered animals’ continual exposure to climate change, along with the impact of proposed oil drilling on the animals.
- Nephros Announces Release of DialyPath™, a qPCR-based, Real-time, On-site Endotoxin Assay for Dialysis Wateron October 13, 2020 at 4:49 am
SOUTH ORANGE, NJ, Oct. 13, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- via NewMediaWire -- Nephros, Inc. (Nasdaq: NEPH), a commercial-stage company that develops ...
- Nephros Announces Release of DialyPath, a qPCR-based, Real-time, On-site Endotoxin Assay for Dialysis Wateron October 13, 2020 at 4:30 am
Nephros, Inc. (Nasdaq: NEPH), a commercial-stage company that develops and sells high performance water purification products and pathogen detection systems to the medical and commercial markets, ...
- Select Amazon device deals start at 3 pm today, Oct. 12on October 12, 2020 at 11:50 am
Amazon is rolling out select Prime Day device deals at 3 pm today, Monday, Oct, 12! Read on for the list of the hottest buys and a sneak peek of the official Prime Day deals taking place on Oct. 13 & ...
- Novel Photonics Technologies for Detecting Oil Spillson October 9, 2020 at 1:03 pm
The rapid detection of oil spills in the marine environment is essential for protecting our nature from extensive damage. This article discusses novel photonic technologies for the detection and ...
- 'Yellow Rose' review: Eva Noblezada is mesmerizing presence in her big screen debuton October 9, 2020 at 9:30 am
Eva Noblezada is just the breakout actress and singer to punch through the familiar contours of “Yellow Rose” to find its beating heart. In her dynamite film debut, the Tony-nominated star of Broadway ...
- Ice rink fix could cost East Haven $1.3 millionon October 8, 2020 at 7:18 pm
The work is necessary to reopen the busy rink — and it will get done following the Town Council’s unanimous approval as part of a $2.57 million bonding authorization.
- 3 more lakes have been found on Mars — anyone home?on October 8, 2020 at 7:36 am
Mars has engaged the human mind with thoughts of alien life for more than a century. We now know water lies beneath the Martian surface in the form of ice, and in small, briny pockets of liquid water ...
- Nephros Announces Preliminary Third Quarter Revenues of $2.1 Millionon October 6, 2020 at 4:30 am
(Nasdaq: NEPH), a commercial-stage company that develops and sells high performance water purification products and pathogen detection systems to the medical and commercial markets, today announced ...
- Tiny moonbound spacecraft have very big goalson October 5, 2020 at 4:11 am
That flight, known as Artemis-1, will send NASA's Orion spacecraft on an uncrewed trip around the moon — and loft more than a dozen tiny cubesats to test inventive technologies as well. Among those ...