Engineers at Oregon State University are studying a new approach to organize and route truck transportation that could save millions of dollars, improve the quality of life for thousands of truck drivers and make freight transportation far more efficient.
The findings, published recently in Transportation Research Part E, show the feasibility of the new system. More research is still needed before implementation, but there’s potential to revolutionize the way that truck transportation is handled in the United States and around the world, some experts say.
Loads could be delivered more rapidly, costs could be lowered, and the exhausting experience of some truck drivers who often spend two to three weeks on the road between visits back home might be greatly reduced. This difficult lifestyle often leads them to quit their job as a result.
That turnover problem is sufficiently severe that more long-haul, full-truckload drivers quit every year than there are trucks of that type on the road.
“The perceived quality of life for long-haul truck drivers is poor, and it shouldn’t have to be that way,” said Hector Vergara, an assistant professor in the OSU School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, who is working on this project in collaboration with researchers at the University of Arkansas.
“It will take a transition for companies to see how the approach we are studying can work effectively, but it should help address several of the problems they face,” he said.
In truck transportation, some of the existing approaches include “point to point,” in which one driver stays with a full load all the way to its often-distant destination; “hub and spoke” systems in which less-than-full loads are changed at selected points; and “relay” networks in which the drivers change but the load stays on the truck.
None of these systems by themselves are ideal for long-haul transport. The hub and spoke system is among the most popular with drivers because they get home much more frequently, but it can be costly and inefficient for full-truckload transportation. Relay networks make sense in theory but are difficult to implement.
The new approach under study combines the relay system and the point-to-point system for full-truckload transport. The researchers at OSU developed a new mathematical approach to optimize the design of the dispatching system for the movement of goods and to minimize the impact on drivers. It’s one of the first models of its type to create a mixed-fleet dispatching system at a large scale.
“We now know this approach can work,” Vergara said. “Compared to point-to-point, this system should cut the length of trips a driver makes by about two-thirds, and get drivers back to their homes much more often. We can also keep loads moving while drivers rest, and because of that save significant amounts of money on the number of trucks needed to move a given amount of freight.”
The Latest Bing News on:
New dispatch system
- Rensselaer Police Department phone dispatch down, mayor sayson October 13, 2020 at 8:03 am
The dispatch phone lines for the Rensselaer Police Department are currently not working. This comes from former Troy Mayor Harry Tutunjian and Rensselaer Mayor Michael ...
- Don’t fix EMS dispatch system that isn’t brokenon October 13, 2020 at 3:57 am
Naheed Nenshi, Tara Veer, Don Scott and Chris Spearman You may have heard about a dispute between four Alberta communities - Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer ...
- COVID Takes Challenge of Tracking Infectious College Students to New Levelon October 12, 2020 at 2:00 am
Amid a surge of college coronavirus cases, some local and state health departments have been scrambling to properly trace contacts and assign cases across state and county lines.
- Messenger: New report finds old culprit in education disparities in St. Louis funding and divisionon October 11, 2020 at 1:28 pm
Still Separate, Still Unequal report calls for massive change to education funding model in St. Louis and Missouri.
- Dispatch a Drone from Your Phone with New Drone-on-Demand Appon October 9, 2020 at 2:29 pm
One of your neighbors posted in Business. Click through to read what they have to say. (The views expressed in this post are the author’s own.) ...
- IAA tower dispatch process automation system wins patenton October 9, 2020 at 1:16 pm
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office awarded a patent to global digital marketplace IAA for an “Automatic Dispatch System for Tow Service Providers,” and IAA said the technology “streamlines the ...
- UK's COVID testing system hit by Roche supply chain glitchon October 7, 2020 at 6:26 pm
Britain's COVID-19 testing system faced more disruption on Wednesday after logistical problems at a Roche warehouse delayed the dispatch of some of the Swiss pharmaceutical giant's products.
- UK's COVID-19 testing system hit by Roche supply problemson October 7, 2020 at 12:35 am
LONDON, Oct 7 (Reuters) - Britain's national COVID-19 testing system was facing disruption on Wednesday after Swiss pharmaceutical giant Roche ROG.S said problems at a new warehouse had delayed the ...
- IAA Awarded Patent for Automation of Tower Dispatch Processon October 6, 2020 at 5:30 am
(NYSE: IAA), a leading global digital marketplace connecting vehicle buyers and sellers, announced it has been awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for an “AUTOMATIC DISPATCH ...
- Larimer County implements long-used Loveland automated dispatch system countywideon October 6, 2020 at 12:34 am
The dispatch system used for emergency responders in Loveland for many years has now become the framework for the entire county.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
New dispatch system
The Latest Bing News on:
Organize and route truck transportation
- Denver DJ Delivery Brings the Party to a Neighborhood Near Youon September 29, 2020 at 11:52 am
The event's organizers originally booked The Dragomi Art Car — a modified twenty-foot flatbed truck that includes ... The traveling DJs' routes start at Riverfront Park and head to various ...
- Eroad Go Eases Dispatch, Pickup and Deliveryon September 29, 2020 at 11:43 am
Eroad Go connects to a truck ... in organizing load assignments, offers real-time updates on loads, and reduces unnecessary paperwork. The mobile app provides drivers with a detailed route plan ...
- Far-right rally and counter-protests in Portland end without violence Saturday, as Proud Boy rally smaller, shorter than expectedon September 27, 2020 at 6:06 am
Kate Brown declared a state of emergency ahead of the Proud Boys rally, which organizers predicted ... forcing all drivers to take the same route out. As one truck drove out of Delta Park, the ...
- 'Trump Train' caravan Sunday to start in Portsmouth, travel to 'liberal enclaves' across Seacoaston September 24, 2020 at 10:02 am
"We’re going to monitor it, of course." Organizers posted that routes will pass through "liberal enclaves" – naming downtown Portsmouth, Kittery, Eliot, Dover, Durham, Newmarket, Exeter and ...
- Flyover remembers World War II, when 'democracy won, tyranny lost'on September 23, 2020 at 4:15 pm
On Friday, 24 historically sequenced formations of 61 warbirds—bombers, fighters and transport ... s organizers ask area residents to watch the event from along the aircrafts’ route, closer ...
- 'Hard, Dirty Job': Cities Struggle To Clear Garbage Glut In Stay-At-Home Worldon September 21, 2020 at 2:27 am
Tart's trash truck is equipped with a robot arm to lift ... "It will be shorter days, shorter routes and much more manageable," said Assistant Public Works Director Sharon Smith.
- Vietnam jails four in UK truck tragedy caseon September 14, 2020 at 9:07 am
A Ha Tinh Province court sentenced four people to varying jail terms on Monday for trafficking several Vietnamese to the U.K., who died in a refrigerated truck tragedy last year ... They proposed two ...
- Smackdown of food truck rallies: Tampa takes on Miami's recordon July 19, 2013 at 6:45 pm
"Some of the local promoters in Miami have some objections to this," said Jeremy Gomez, one of the organizers ... Truck and Michael Lynch of truckspotting.com, a downloadable app that charts the ...
- How America Became a Food Truck Nationon February 21, 2012 at 11:00 pm
What the professor wanted to know was why, if Kogi represented a kind of utopian diversity, the trucks’ routes seemed to ... about their favorites and organize taco tours. News of a truck ...
- Italy truck strike ends -- for nowon December 12, 2007 at 4:00 am
Organizers of the strike ... no one will take us seriously," said striking truck driver Massimiliano Antonini. International trucking routes are affected as well. British driver Brian Briggs ...