Italian architect Renzo Piano has gone from building Europe’s tallest building (the Shard in London) to one of its smallest.
Finally completing his career-long dream of building a micro house that only measures 7.5 sq m (81 sq ft), Piano’s single-occupancy unit has been added to the gardens of the Vitra Campus in Weil am Rhein, Germany. Dubbed “Diogene,” the small structure is named in honor of the Greek philosopher Diogenes of Sinope, who was said to have abandoned all worldly luxuries and conventions for the simplicity of living in a large ceramic jar.
While it’s hard to imagine how a unit that measures 3 by 2.5 meters (9.8 by 8.2 ft) can be big enough to be called a home, the Diogene model provides the simplest of comforts for one person without leaving anything out. The micro home features a living area which comes equipped with a foldaway desk and chair, sofa bed and recessed storage boxes. A separated utilities space features a composting toilet, shower plate and a small kitchen unit with built-in sink and refrigerator.
What really makes this tiny home functional, however, is the amount of storage space. Storage units have been incorporated throughout the entire unit – they are built into the walls, the floors and even the roof. Furthermore, each internal component has been ergonomically designed to occupy the minimum amount of space, and for easy usage.
The Diogene micro-structure is made from a lightweight yet durable shell that can withstand a wide range of temperature variants, including extreme heat and snow storms. The bearing shell has been built using cross-laminated cedar timber panels with a thin aluminum exterior coating, which helps strengthen the structure while also reflecting heat.
A series of sustainable technologies have been put to use outside, above and below the unit, giving the module its off-the-grid status. The roof is fitted with a boiler tank and solar panels, which provide the home with hot water and enough electricity to power the interior LED lights, electric stove and small refrigerator. Rainwater is collected and stored in special containers positioned underneath the house. The water is then filtered, pumped and used for the shower and kitchen.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Nonprofit looks to build more — and tinier — tiny houses at new village on Madison's North Sideon October 13, 2020 at 3:56 pm
"The temporary use is needed so people don't freeze this winter," Occupy Madison co-president Brenda Konkel said. "It's literally a matter of life and death for some folks." ...
- Microchip Technology Introduces Its First Trust&GO Wi-Fi® 32-bit MCU Module with Advanced Peripheral Optionson October 13, 2020 at 3:04 pm
Microchip Technology (Nasdaq: MCHP) today announced the first-ever Wi-Fi microcontroller (MCU) module with Microchip’s Trust&GO-enabled unique, verifiable identity. For developers designing secure ...
- Hardware & Home Improvement Retailers- a Market Worth Observing Growth: Homebase, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Rona, Canadian Tireon October 13, 2020 at 3:01 pm
A new business intelligence report released by HTF MI with title "Global Hardware & Home Improvement Retailers Market Report 2020" is designed covering micro level of analysis by manufacturers and key ...
- This Tiny Catskill Cabin Is Perfect for a Nature Getawayon October 13, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Tucked away in the Kerhonkson woods at the base of the Catskill Mountains is a cozy cabin that's perfect for a retreat to the great outdoors. Highlighting all the features that make the aptly named ...
- Lido Pimienta: Tiny Desk (Home) Concerton October 13, 2020 at 2:00 am
Colombian vocalist Lido Pimienta has had one of the musical highlights of a year marked by tragedy and uncertainty. The healing magic of her album Miss Colombia transfers beautifully to this visually ...
- A Singaporean prefab tiny-home maker says 70% of its customers are in the US — see inside its coming $21,000 'Legend One' offeringon October 12, 2020 at 4:13 pm
The tiny home's bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom can come furnished for an additional $12,500, making it move-in ready.
- 6 Design Mistakes That Make Your Tiny Home Feel Even Smalleron October 12, 2020 at 10:46 am
In case you didn’t get the memo, living in a small space might not be as easy as it’s cracked up to be. For many, downsizing is all about having a simpler, more streamlined lifestyle. Still, small ...
- Lizzo’s Home Tour Includes Her Teeny Tiny Purseon October 10, 2020 at 12:46 pm
Her success has allowed her to live a lavish life that includes a stunning home. Recently, Lizzo recently invited Vogue into the house, showing off all of its amazing features, including a life-size ...
- Randall Beach: 'Minimalist' CT couple lives in 344-square-foot tiny homeon October 10, 2020 at 10:56 am
A New Haven couple is living blissfully in a really, really small house — 344 square feet. They talked to Randall Beach about how they do it.
- The Flaming Lips: Tiny Desk (Home) Concerton October 9, 2020 at 11:00 am
Wayne Coyne has been preparing for this era of social distancing for 10 years. Watch The Flaming Lips perform in bubbles for our Tiny Desk quarantine series.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Gov. Murphy Releases $100 Million In CARES Act Funding To Aid New Jersey Small Businesses Ravaged By Pandemicon October 13, 2020 at 2:45 pm
There is more relief coming for small businesses in in the Garden State. Gov. Phil Murphy on Tuesday announced more than $100 million to help owners and renters, CBS2’s Nick Caloway reported. After ...
- White House's $1.8 trillion stimulus package offer: Everything in it, including a $1,200 checkon October 13, 2020 at 1:54 pm
What have Republican and Democratic negotiators put on the table for the federal assistance in a new stimulus bill?
- What small business owners really need from the next presidenton October 13, 2020 at 12:55 pm
Tim Burgess came up with creative ways to keep his Charlottesville, Virginia, restaurants running after reopening in May, following a nearly two-month shutdown during the pandemic.
- Small business, big mission: Covid-19 pandemic throws curveballs at Strike Brewingon October 13, 2020 at 12:14 pm
Jenny Lewis and her team at #StrikeBrewing is stepped up to the plate during the #Covid19 #pandemic, switching overnight from bottles and kegs to cans, from frosty glass mugs in-house to curbside ...
- Stimulus negotiation latest: McConnell announces he will hold vote on small business loan billon October 13, 2020 at 10:47 am
Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced on Tuesday that Senate Republicans will attempt to move forward on a "targeted" coronavirus relief bill when the Senate returns to session next week -- a sign ...
- The Zacks Analyst Blog Highlights: Advanced Micro Devices, Xilinx, Intel, Nvidia, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing and Microsofton October 13, 2020 at 7:33 am
Zacks.com announces the list of stocks featured in the Analyst Blog. Every day the Zacks Equity Research analysts discuss the latest news and events impacting stocks and the financial markets. Stocks ...
- The outlook for House Republicans keeps getting worseon October 13, 2020 at 1:37 am
The GOP hasn't locked down even the lowest-hanging fruit on the House map, as Democrats could even expand their majority next month.
- White House urges small business rescue planon October 11, 2020 at 8:12 pm
The White House on Sunday changed tactics yet again on boosting the pandemic-hit US economy, this time urging lawmakers to back a plan to help small businesses weeks ahead of the presidential election ...
- White House wants release of unused small business loanson October 11, 2020 at 2:28 pm
The White House on Sunday sent a letter to Congress urging lawmakers to release $134 billion in unused Paycheck Protection Program funds as negotiations on another round of stimulus drag on.
- Trump economic adviser: Senate Republicans will 'go along with' White House stimulus proposal despite their pushbackon October 11, 2020 at 7:08 am
President Trump's economic adviser Larry Kudlow said Sunday that Senate Republicans will "go along with" the $1.8 trillion White House stimulus proposal despite their vocal pushback.Kudlow told CNN's ...