New University of Minnesota research shows current growth in global crop yields will be insufficient to feed the world in 2050 and identifies focus areas for closing the gap.
Crop yields worldwide are not increasing quickly enough to support estimated global needs in 2050, according to a study published June 19 in the open access journal PLOS ONE by research associate Deepak Ray and colleagues from the Institute on the Environment (IonE) at the University of Minnesota.
Previous studies estimate that global agricultural production may need to increase 60–110 percent to meet increasing demands and provide food security. In the current study, researchers assessed agricultural statistics from across the world and found that yields of four key crops — maize, rice, wheat and soybean— are increasing 0.9–1.6 percent every year. At these rates, production of these crops would likely increase 38–67 percent by 2050, rather than the estimated requirement of 60–110 percent. The top three countries that produce rice and wheat were found to have very low rates of increase in crop yields.
“Particularly troubling are places where population and food production trajectories are at substantial odds,” Ray says, “for example, in Guatemala, where the corn-dependent population is growing at the same time corn productivity is declining.”
The analysis maps global regions where yield improvements are on track to double production by 2050 and areas where investments must be targeted to increase yields. The authors explain that boosting crop yields is considered a preferred solution to meet demands, rather than clearing more land for agriculture. They note that additional strategies, such as reducing food waste and changing to plant-based diets, can also help reduce the large estimates for increased global demand for food.
“Clearly, the world faces a looming agricultural crisis, with yield increases insufficient to keep up with projected demands,” says IonE director Jon Foley, a co-author on the study. “The good news is, opportunities exist to increase production through more efficient use of current arable lands and increased yield growth rates by spreading best management practices. If we are to boost production in these key crops to meet projected needs, we have no time to waste.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Global food production trajectory
- Global Belt Drives Market Trajectory & Analytics Report 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon September 11, 2020 at 10:25 am
The "Belt Drives - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added ... robust consumption of processed food, industrialization of food production and increased opportunities for belt ...
- Global Belt Drives Market Trajectory & Analytics Report 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon September 11, 2020 at 2:01 am
The "Belt Drives - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report ... robust consumption of processed food, industrialization of food production and increased opportunities for belt drives in ...
- Global Belt Drives Market Trajectory & Analytics Report 2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon September 11, 2020 at 1:38 am
DUBLIN--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Belt Drives - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics ... robust consumption of processed food, industrialization of food production and increased opportunities for ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Global food production trajectory
The Latest Bing News on:
Global food production
- 7 Vegan Stocks to Buy Now for the Future of Foodon October 13, 2020 at 3:30 pm
The vegan revolution is upon us, and that means its time to buy and hold these 7 vegan stocks for the long haul.
- Global Packaging Barrier Film Market to Hit CAGR value of 5.3% through 2028. Major Contribution to be seen by Food Industry – Future Market Insightson October 13, 2020 at 8:47 am
Surging demand for packaging materials in food industry and by make-up bloggers becomes the prime driving factor in the market. DUBAI, UAE / ACCESSWIRE / October 13, 2020 / Future Market Insights: The ...
- Aptean to Reveal Exclusive Research and Perspectives Enabling Food and Beverage Manufacturers to Improve Strategy, Efficiency and Competitive Edgeon October 13, 2020 at 6:52 am
Today, Aptean, a global provider of mission-critical enterprise software solutions, announced it will reveal exclusive industry research findings and in-depth perspectives at its inaugural Aptean Food ...
- Mineral aims to significantly increase food production in the next 50 yearson October 13, 2020 at 4:54 am
X is a company that wants to bring in an era of computational agriculture. The company’s goal is to significantly increase food production over the next 50 years to feed a growing population ...
- What the United Nations World Food Program’s Nobel Peace Prize win says about global hungeron October 12, 2020 at 11:00 pm
The 2020 Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to the United Nations World Food Program for its efforts to combat hunger, foster conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas, and prevent the use of ...
- Global Specialty Food Ingredients Market (2020 to 2025) - Rise in Number of End-Use Applications Presents Opportunitieson October 12, 2020 at 12:32 pm
The "Specialty Food Ingredients Market by Type (Acidulant, Colors, Flavors, Enzymes, Emulsifiers, F&B Starter Culture, Preservatives, Functional Food Ingredients, Specialty Starches, Sugar Substitutes ...
- U.S. Crop Report Signals Worsening Global Food-Insecurity Crisison October 10, 2020 at 4:00 am
On the same day the World Food Programme was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its fight against hunger, fresh numbers from the U.S. government showed that tighter crop supplies could worsen the ...
- Global Food Security Technologies Market Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast Report 2020-2026 - ResearchAndMarkets.comon October 9, 2020 at 6:56 am
Global Industry Perspective, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast 2020-2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Global Food Grade Dicalcium Phosphate Market Recent Study Including Business Growth, Development Factors and Growth Analysis 2020-2025on October 8, 2020 at 1:44 am
Global Food Grade Dicalcium Phosphate Market Growth 2020-2025 introduces the overview of the industry which clarifies the definition and specifications of Food Grade Dicalcium Phosphate. The report ...
- Increasing use of nitrogen fertilisers in global food production jeopardising climate goals: Studyon October 7, 2020 at 11:54 am
The growing use of nitrogen fertilisers in the production of food worldwide is increasing ... and the growing demand for food and feed for animals will further increase global nitrous oxide emissions, ...