Art Everywhere project asks public to vote for their favourite works to display on poster sites across country this summer
Thousands of poster and billboard sites are to be given over to the best of British art for two weeks this summer, so instead of the usual car or ice cream adverts we might see a stunning Constable or Hockney or Hepworth.
Or even slightly more challenging work such as Helen Chadwick’s Piss Flowers, a work enthusiastically nominated on Friday by the artist Bob and Roberta Smith who gave his backing to a project which intends to make the UK the “world’s largest art gallery”.
The plan is called Art Everywhere and will involve 50 of the nation’s favourite artworks being reproduced on at least 15,000 poster sites across the UK. The public will vote for what they want to see from a longlist of 100.
It is the brainchild of Richard Reed, the co-founder of Innocent Drinks, who had the idea when he saw a picture on a poster when walking down Goldhawk Road in London. “It wasn’t titled and it didn’t have a logo and I never knew why it was there but it was a beautiful thing and I would stop for about 30 seconds – it just put some bounce into my step, it brightened my commute to work.”
A light went on in his head and he approached the poster industry, which agreed to donate the sites between 10 and 25 August. Also on board are the Art Fund, the Tate and many artists.
“I’ve been in many projects in my career but I haven’t been involved in something as pure and simple and positive as this,” said Reed.
“Our vision is that this summer we literally want to flood the streets of the UK with the greatest art that this country has ever produced – it has got no agenda beyond that. It is about putting wonderful, beautiful things in as many places as possible to be seen by as many people as possible.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- IT Revolution Announces New Book, 'The (Delicate) Art of Bureaucracy'on October 13, 2020 at 3:32 pm
IT Revolution, the industry leader for advancing DevOps, today announced its newest book, The (Delicate) Art of Bureaucracy: ...
- Costa Mesa art project celebrates the impact of powerful Latinas known as ‘poderosas’on October 13, 2020 at 1:44 pm
A mural on a wall outside a residence on Costa Mesa’s Baker Street attempts to unify the vast and ranging stories and struggles of poderosas — strong women — into a message of hope and inspiration.
- Become a Latte Art Champion with the NanoFoamer Milk Foamer, Now Availableon October 13, 2020 at 5:12 am
With more than 600 customers in less than 24 hours, the NanoFoamer Milk Foamer has become an instant hit. Designed by product development ...
- New Menu, New Art, Same Hospitality - FREVO Welcomes Back Guestson October 12, 2020 at 6:23 am
FREVO, a contemporary restaurant focused on French technique located in Greenwich Village led by Chef Franco Sampogna and Manager Bernardo Silva, is delighted ...
- A treasure trove of art and architecture lies hidden within the churches that dot the landscape of Avianoon October 8, 2020 at 12:14 pm
Churches are everywhere in predominantly Roman Catholic Italy ... because almost every church in Italy has something to offer those who like architecture or art. Sculptures, paintings, mosaics or ...
- See the Black Art Remaking Our Cultureon October 7, 2020 at 3:49 pm
Jenna Wortham and Kimberly Drew share a portfolio of favorite works — and discuss curating Black art when so much creativity is online and ephemeral.
- 4 Art Gallery Shows to See Right Nowon October 7, 2020 at 2:51 pm
Ficre Ghebreyesus’s artistic legacy; Steve Mumford’s combat-zone drawings; Manal Kara’s adoring gaze; Cheyenne Julien’s iridescent paintings.
- This “Pop Art Nun” Was the Surprise Muse of the Spring 2021 Seasonon October 7, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Artist Corita Kent served as inspiration for both Chloé’s Natacha Ramsay-Levi and Christopher John Rogers this season. A brief look at her work in the ’60s explains why Kent feels newly relevant.
- I returned to the National Gallery seeking comfort. But art no longer feels like an escape.on October 6, 2020 at 7:22 pm
Recently walking through the National Gallery of Art for the first time since early March made me realize that hard truth more fully, more viscerally, with more than a little despair around the edges.
- Minted and The Metropolitan Museum of Art Launch Design Collaboration Supporting the Arts and Independent Artistson October 1, 2020 at 7:00 am
Minted and The Metropolitan Museum of Art Launch Design Collaboration Supporting the Arts and Independent Artists ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Art on poster and billboard sites
- Artists create anti-Trump billboards, street posters to be erected in Michigan citieson October 13, 2020 at 1:10 pm
Artists from across the country have teamed up to create striking anti-Trump posters and billboards that will be erected in several battleground states, including ...
- Organization brings series of anti-Trump billboards to Northeast Ohio ahead of presidential debateon September 30, 2020 at 7:19 pm
The first presidential debate of 2020, set to take place in Cleveland, is less than a week a way. And one organization wants to make a statement to President Trump when he arrives. On Thursday, The ...
- Anti-Trump artist billboards greet presidential candidates in Clevelandon September 29, 2020 at 5:07 pm
nine billboards along with hundreds of posters were in place throughout the city. “We did the route from Hopkins Airport into downtown (I-71) as well as strategically around the debate site,” says the ...
- Organization brings series of anti-Trump billboards to Northeast Ohio ahead of presidential debateon September 29, 2020 at 12:33 pm
The nine billboards are strategically placed along the route from the airport to downtown Cleveland, near the major streets, hotels and the debate site on Cleveland Clinic’s campus. According to ...
- Art-based Super PAC posts anti-Trump billboards and street posters around Cleveland in run-up to first presidential debateon September 24, 2020 at 10:32 am
CLEVELAND, Ohio – A political group is weaponizing their art in Cleveland as the first presidential debate approaches, posting billboards and street art posters ... the site of the debate.
- Vasilis Dimitriou, the Artist Who Carried on the Lost Art of Hand-Painted Movie Billboards, Has Died at 84on September 15, 2020 at 8:48 am
Vassilis Dimitriou, master of the dying art form of the ... art rather than printed posters—creating works on brown paper to affix to its 42 by eight-foot-high billboard. To aid his craft ...
- The inspiration behind Mark Titchner’s powerful billboard posterson May 19, 2020 at 12:31 am
As part of its Your Space or Mine project, the Build Hollywood agency family, which is made up of Jack, Jack Arts and Diabolical, has collaborated with Turner Prize-nominated artist Mark Titchner for ...