With the plethora of mouse alternatives available or in development you’d be forgiven for thinking the humble computer mouse was some kind of torturous device inflicted upon computer users.
But despite challengers such as the trackball, theWOW-PEN Joy, the ErgoSlider Plus, the Orbita Mouse and the AirMouse – just to name a few – the mouse has maintained its dominance while remaining largely unchanged since its unveiling in 1968. Now there’s another alternative cursor relocation device set to hit the market called the evoMouse that turns just about any flat surface into a virtual trackpad with your finger as the pointer.
Described by its creators Celluon as the next evolution of the mouse, the evoMouse works in a similar way to the Invisible Computer Mouse we looked at last year – but is infinitely cuter. Two infrared sensors that form the eyes of the small animal-shaped device track the user’s finger movements to provide the full gamut of mouse functionality such as click and select, double-click, right-click, drag and drop and even multi-touch functionality such as rotate and pinch to zoom.
The evoMouse can even be used for drawing – or is that finger painting? – while a handwriting recognition feature lets you write with your finger or a pen. There’s also an optional keymat that allows the evoMouse to be used as a portable, full-sized QWERTY keyboard.
- Pros and Cons of Computer Mouses (computersight.com)
- Ergonomic Vertical Computer Mouse: Top 5 Recommendations & Buying Guide (brighthub.com)
- Pranav Mistry Invented an Invisible Computer Mouse (globalthoughtz.com)
- ErgoSlider Offers a New Mouse Alternative (hardware.slashdot.org)
- The Penclic Mouse… The Perfect Input Device You’ve Never Wanted. (solidsmack.com)
- Microsoft Mouse Without Borders, Control Multiple PCs With One Mouse (ghacks.net)
- Computer Mice Pen Hybrids – The Penclic Mouse Offers an Alternative Experience to PC Navigation (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)